Sextett Mods
Apr 16, 2009 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mfaughn

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up a pair of MP Sextetts not long ago. I am liking them a lot. They are really pleasant to listen to. I also got some sr225s and between the two of them my K701 have been languishing in a drawer. The sextetts do have a couple of shortcomings -- slightly boomy bass, a little slow, and could do with a bit more extension in upper freqs. But still, they SOUND SO NICE. To tappin' goodness. Soooo....I'm the kind of bugger that can't leave well enough alone sometimes. Although at this point I would hesitate to use my one and only pair as guinea pigs for radical stuff I'm wondering what sextett mods have been tried or even seriously contemplated. Maybe its been done before but I didn't run across in when I searched.

-I've ordered some new pads (non AKG) that look like they are comfy and will fit but that is a no-brainer.
-I'm still working on getting the amount of bounce right in new elastics (need more).
-I've read of one head-fier cutting away the plastic grid that is between the driver and the ears.
-I am a big fan of single entry cable but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit running new wire from left to right (instead of through the headband).
-Replacing (upgrading) the wire from driver to the backs of the cups???
-Playing with damping to try and tighten up the bass just a wee bit?

I know there are other Sextett fans out there. Wondering what y'all think.

-Michael

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 7
see the "Grado'd AKG" thread to learn how to re-screen them. I wouldn't just take out the grill, as that will expose the radiators to possible damage.

Recable them

If you want more sparkle in the highs, and extension, I would immediately contact head-fier KT88 to see if he has any more of his custom pads left, or check for his thread in the FS forums, called custom AKG pad or something. They really make the sextetts sing, more detail than i've heard from most other phones, but liquid smooth, never harsh. and it also tightens up the bass

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see the "Grado'd AKG" thread to learn how to re-screen them. I wouldn't just take out the grill, as that will expose the radiators to possible damage.

Wow, I must have been sleepy when I read through that thread before...as in comatose. Its all there about the re-screening bit (which is what I meant). Thanks for waking me up!! Oh, and my grills are glued in for sure...sigh.
Quote:

Recable them

I have.
wink.gif
Oddly, it is an 18 inch cable at the moment because I wanted to try them out walking around plugged into the mini^3. I looked so cool walking around campus today
smily_headphones1.gif
(as in old guy with big old headphones cool)

Quote:

If you want more sparkle in the highs, and extension, I would immediately contact head-fier KT88 to see if he has any more of his custom pads left, or check for his thread in the FS forums, called custom AKG pad or something. They really make the sextetts sing, more detail than i've heard from most other phones, but liquid smooth, never harsh. and it also tightens up the bass

Done that too. Are those leather or pleather? I also ordered some from Hong Kong that look about the same as his (as much as that is worth) but are about $10 shipped.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 7
HK pads.
Same seller has lots of other sizes too. Might get some more big ones to try with some diy grado adapters I have on the drawing board.

If these do the trick I dunno if I'll get the KT88 ones, 'specially if those are also pleather. Still waiting to hear from KT88.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 7
Sportin the KT 88 pads on mine and love em.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 7
The pads I got from ebay aren't so great. They are comfy but don't fit on there well. The hem on the skirt is stitched with inelastic thread. The skirt is just a bit to small to fit on with the thread breaking and cushion getting a bit damaged. Once it is on there it covers more of the screen area than the stock cushions. This doesn't do good things for the sound. I stuffed some D shaped epdm weather stripping under the edges of the pads. This helps a lot because it gets the pads off of the screen. After that they still don't sound quite as good to me as the stock pads (which I also use with the weather stripping). It is close but I think the stock pads sound better. I also don't find the stock pads really uncomfortable when used with the weather stripping. If I don't use it then my ears contact the plastic screen over the drivers and it is rather uncomfortable.

The weather stripping I'm talking about is this stuff.

-Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back