Severely disappointed in the LCD-2; any recommendations?
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xero

New Head-Fier
I primarily listen to video game music FLACs and vinyl rips in 24/96 of progressive rock. While I can "hear" every detail of what's going on, the overall timbre of everything is very harsh and not pleasant with the LCD-2 with my dacport LX and Woo Audio WA6SE combo. In fact, using the headphone amp as a preamp to a Logitech surround system with the same DAC, I think the sound is amazing, which kind of says something. Anyone have any suggestions of headphones that are "pleasant' to listen to versus "total accuracy"? Maybe I need to look into a cheaper option? Thank you!

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 3
I was going to suggest tube rolling on your WA6-SE, I've seen positive remarks about the LCD-2 + WA6-SE + 6FD7 combo, but I don't think that will cut it.  So you find the LCD-2 to be too detailed, maybe too analytical?  How do you feel about its sound signature, do you want something vastly different? 

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm actually using the Sophia Electric Princess and 6FD7's. To me, the sound just loses all it's "oomph"; everything sounds really weak and almost distorted, even with the amp volume down. Soundstage seems non-existant. The same isn't true through the surround speakers. A sawtooth wave through the LCD2 sounds grating and hurts the ears almost. Perhaps a headphone that makes the source material sound really good versus detail would be good for my tastes. Grado maybe? I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back