Several Year Follow-up HD-595
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Quake120

100+ Head-Fier
In around 2008, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-595s. I went from Bose OE headphones to these, and to be completely honest, I disliked the 595s at first. I just found them cold, analytical, and bass-less. As many of you suggested, I stuck with them until the break-in period was done. Well, due to circumstances beyond my control (Lost my job and it was around 6 months later that I got another job that was good enough to afford audiophile toys), I ended up just using these at home for almost everything. 
So how do I feel about them now? I ADORE them. I still use them on a daily basis. I know there are far better cans out there, but because of how long I've used these, it is like I have learned just how to listen to them to hear them best.

I'm thinking of getting some DT-880s and a good amp. I hope I end up liking those as much as I do these!

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 6
I like mine, and they get used almost every day, if not every day as I sit at the computer and surf, or watch movies or TV shows.  More comfortable than my HD 600s, too, though not quite the sound of them.  They're definitely decent and for the $135 I paid brand new, I am not complaining a single bit.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Awesome..! Just wait till you try the 598's. 
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I always liked my HD595s..I got mine for $120 new on Amazon. It is interesting to me that they cost $250 now. My first open phone..I remember reading a lot of negative stuff on these from these threads. For what I payed for them they beat the tar out of another open phone I bought the AD700.. These will always have a spot in the rotation for me.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 6
I bought mine through amazon as well, somewhere around $130.  Bottom line, I guess I'm still waiting for that break-in sweet spot.  I couldn't put an exact number on the hours used, but probably between 100-150.  That said, I love the sound stage and the 3D sound of them for sure.  Vocals sound great, midrange is solid, and live stuff is just cool.

However, I can't stand their treble.  Holy cow does it sound peaked and thin up top.  Cymbals and snare drum snaps just sound horrible....like I said, maybe I'm just still waiting for them to open/break-in more.  Bass sucks, period.  While extension seems good, anything rock just feels lifeless in the bass department.

Once I get the modded D2000's this week, all of those ideas my not be a concern anymore.  But I'm sure I'll continue to like to sound experience with certain music and movies with the 595s.

My .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back