Setup recommendations
Jun 25, 2019 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FarragoSanManta

New Head-Fier
After years of interest, I'm finally in a place to start this audiophile hobby. I recently bought an AT-LP120-USB for a great deal. Problem is I dont have anything else and my tastes have changed since I last did massive research.

Looking for amp, headphone, and DAC reccomendations, in that order. None for mobile use. Budget being around $200 per item.

I listen to quite a few things. Basically everything but modern pop. I mostly listen to harder rock. Due to my hearing damage I primarily am looking for sound clarity, especially vocals. I also like nice soundstaging and for it to be slightly warm. I'm not a big bass head but I still want to hear it. For amp and dac I dont know much about but headphones I'm looking into open back (for overall better quality) and closed back (for higher impact). I'm sorry for the long post and I'm also researching and looking around but it's hard for me to sample headphones and equipment. Thank you very much to any and all that take the time to read and reply.

Jun 26, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Schiit.com

amp - Magni
DAC - Modi
Headphones - Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX, simply the best value in audio today, at $220.

I'm not that familiar with the electronics used in the AT turntable for the phono preamp/USB output. However, chances are that you can do better if you purchase the Schiit Mani phono preamp. It's probably better quality than the one that's inside the turntable. You might also look into the Hagtech Bugle as another option to the internal phono preamp in the AT turntable.

That should all come out less than your $200 per item, since the Schiit stuff is all between $100-$200. You might do better elsewhere, but I don't think you're going to materially improve the quality by hitting your $200 maximum per component. IOW, you would have to spend a lot more to really notice a difference, most likely.

The AT-95E cartridge/stylus in that turntable could use an upgrade, too. All you would really need to do is upgrade the stylus. Check out LPGear for ideas. A Shibata or "fine-line" stylus is noticeably superior to the elliptical in the AT-95E. You'll get better tracking, less wear on the LP grooves, and much more detail in the listening. Differences in MM cartridges are not so noticeable; the stylus and to a lesser extent, the cantilever, is almost everything when listening to phono. The turntable provides the fundamental Signal-to-Noise ratio, with better ones controlling rumble. Better tonearms will track the inside grooves with less distortion. Better motors and motor control will maintain precise pitch and reduce wow & flutter. Once a certain quality level is attained in the overall turntable, most of that pales compared to the stylus and phono preamp.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Agree with @tomb on the Schiit stack and HD-6xx’s was just listening to it last night pretty solid combo for under $450 all in adding the Pyst cables as they are nice and short for the Modi Magni connection and you have all you need to hook up to a computer and start listening.

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 9
I also agree with the 6xx,though it wont give you a wide stage.
If staging is important,you might consider an AKG K701 or 702,though it can sound rather pedestrian with many amps,but with the right amp,theyre really special.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Agree with @tomb on the Schiit stack and HD-6xx’s was just listening to it last night pretty solid combo for under $450 all in adding the Pyst cables as they are nice and short for the Modi Magni connection and you have all you need to hook up to a computer and start listening.

i'd rather upgrade the magni to vali2 using the money from psyt cables :dt880smile:

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 9
I agree with first suggestion, for the budget thats really great value. You would be hard pressed to find better at that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back