Setup Advice
Jun 17, 2003 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Head-Fi Members,
I am a happy owner of a Sennheiser HD-580/Creek OBH-11 setup, but I am always interested in improving my current rig. I would like suggestions regarding my configuration (though please make them somewhat affordable - the Creek/Senn combo cost only $300, so I would like to keep the costs relative). I welcome your input. Thank you.
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 18
Hi Neil
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

(standard greeting)
and yes, your wallet will be very very sorry.

If you could be a bit more specific, it could help us out.
What is your source? what kind of CD player, turntable, etc?
What cables are you currently using?

Do you want to continue using both the HD-580 and the Creek? Do you just want to upgrade them, or replace them?

The first thing that comes to mind would be to buy the Cardas or Stephen Audio "Equinox" cable for the 580s. Replacing the stock cable with the aftermarket cables is supposed to dramatically improve the sound quality of the headphones.

Do a search in the Cables/Misc Forum for "Cardas" and "Equinox" and you will receive a ton of threads regarding those cable upgrades. you might want to run those searches in this forum as well, because the topic comes up often.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with either your phones or amp, but I hope that you can get what you want out of your equipment, without breaking the bank. But you should know, if you spend too much time here, you will be convinced to buy new gear - eg the Sennheiser HD-600s (which can also use the Cardas or Equinox cable) and a new amp, and a new source, and new interconnect cables, and new power cables.....

it doesnt stop.

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 18
Originally posted by nanahachi
Hi Neil
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

(standard greeting)
and yes, your wallet will be very very sorry.

yeah..just look at what this place did to me.. you'd better go run and hide... BOO!!
smily_headphones1.gif

and.. spend lot's o' money on interconnects
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 18
As is the norm around here - Welcome and prepare to have your wallet alleviated of all those unsightly dollar bills (or credit limit greatly reduced)! You don't happen to mention your source in your post. Please offer this bit of detail. Also what is your budget?

Upgrades can include: new cable for the 580's, new amp (possibly a tube amp) and maybe even better source (but need the detail of your source first to better judge).

Again, welcome.

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 18
What source do you use? What is your musical taste? Where do you feel the weaknesses are in your current system?

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 18
What the hell is neil peart doing here, don't you have money enough to get an orpheus...after all these rush albums...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
BTW the production of the last was horrible, get a better engineer man....is a whole mess......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the warm reception. I fear I have stumbled upon another hobby that will leave me an even poorer man. I apologize for neglecting to mention my source; it is a Marantz CD-63, connected to the Creek using AudioQuest G-Snake ICs. The source cost me $200, the cans cost $150, the Creek cost $150 and the ICs cost $20. I have already spent over $500 on this system, but I am willing to spend a couple hundred more for NOTICEABLY improved perfromance. It seems this will be a contest between:

1. better ICs
2. a line conditioner/upgraded power supplies/specialty power cables
3. Equinox/Cardas upgrades for the 580

While I understand all of this is very subjective, what will produce the greatest return on my investment according to the general consensus of this esteemed forum? Again, thanks for the welcome and the input.
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 18
Hehe,
I haven't actually purchased the last album (though I did attend the concert here at the Shoreline). Yes, I'm sure Neil already owns the Orpheus, CD3000, W2002, MDR-R10, AKG K1000, Grado RS1 and Beyer DT880. He gave me his Avantgarde Duos too.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 18
My musical tastes is very eclectic; it runs the gamut from classic rock, to jazz, to classical, to hip hop, to techno, to progressive metal and even some country. Basically, if it sounds good, I'll enjoy it, regardless of its genre. However, I have some favorites with in the genres (though these tend to change over time):

Jazz - John Coltrane, Chick Corea
Classic Rock - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd
Contemporary Rock - Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band
Classical - Bach, Mozart
Hip Hop - Ozmatli, Del the Phunk Homosapien
Techno - Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx
Progressive Metal - Dream Theater, Meshuggah
Blues - Eric Johnson, Muddy Waters
Country - Brooks & Dunn, Reba

These are simply my current favorites, though I have over 500GB of lossless compressed and 256VBR mp3s on my home server. I have tried other headphones with my configuration, but the HD-580s were the only pair that could play all of it well. The Grado RS80s I tried were better for rock, but didn't fare as well with jazz and classical. I noticed no difference between the HD-580 and HD-600 (though my other components were probably the bottlenecks). I also own a pair of MDR-7509s (got 'em free from old employer) when listening at a loud volume on the 580s will disturb my girlfriend (though I haven't used them since I got the 580s). Again, all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
Hehe,
I haven't actually purchased the last album (though I did attend the concert here at the Shoreline). Yes, I'm sure Neil already owns the Orpheus, CD3000, W2002, MDR-R10, AKG K1000, Grado RS1 and Beyer DT880. He gave me his Avantgarde Duos too.
biggrin.gif

I don't see the HD580, or the HD600 on his list, right? Wise man
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Na' is a matter of taste but IMO and for Rush, those are not a really good choice, but if you like it, go ahead, this is all about, preferences, but as many had stated, those are not the right cans for your purpose (if you are going to honor your nick and hear mainly rock)....a suggestion, try a more forward can instead of a cable, a grado, a beyer, and why not the CD3000 he, he, he!!!! the right can for the right purpose, this is the frist thing, now you are set, go for the cables if you want and the rest.....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

For jazz, classical etc... as you stated as your wide musical taste, they will offer you an excellent performance though....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
1. better ICs
2. a line conditioner/upgraded power supplies/specialty power cables
3. Equinox/Cardas upgrades for the 580

Due to the cost of a decent upgrade with the first two, I would eliminate those unless you get a really good deal on some Virtual Dnamics Audition or Reference ICs, or some Cardas Neutral Reference cables for about $200 used on Audiogon. Although the Marantz is a decent player, it might not warrant the cost of some expensive cabling at this point.

I would personally say that since you like the Senn sound so much, the Equinox will just take that sound and improve upon it. The Cardas tend to change the Senn sound a little for the better, and give better detailing. Either way they are much better than the stock cable.

Another option is to get a META42 amp built by one of the members here. These little amps are fabulous for the price. Used you can get one, albeit rarely here, for about $100-150 depending upon all the extras and upgraded parts it came with.

Jun 18, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks for the tips. I have a question regarding the cable upgrades. Which one should I go for (the Cardas or the Equinox)? Are there noticeable distinctions between the two? I also heard the Cardas limits one's movements with the 'phones since they are so thick. Does the Equinox share this characteristic? Also, might it be better to sell my 580s and save the money for the 600 instead? The 580 + cable upgrades would still be inferior to a plain 600, I would think. I'm actually satisfied with my amp, but I was thinking of X-Cans or the Grado amp. However, I heard the Grado doesn't fare well with the Senns, though it really helps the RS80, RS1, etc (of course). The reason I wanted to to stick with the Creek is I don't want to mess with tubes. I like their warmth, but I simply had too much troubles with my tube guitar amplifiers (Vox AC30, MesaBoogie Triple Rectifier). I think the neutral sound of a solid-state amp is sometimes preferable to the sometimes over-exaggerated sound of a tube amp. Again, any suggestions are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Sonically, there is certainly a difference between the two upgrade cables. The Equinox is certainly warmer sounding and Cardas more neutral. Another way to put it is that the Equinox preserves the stock signature of the sound of the Senns but with improvement. The Cardas on the otherhand takes the Senns in a slightly different direction. Also, I noticed that with both the stock and Equinox cables, it is much more difficult for me to separate the individual instruments spatially compared to the Cardas cable. I guess you can call the stock and the Equinox cables more "blended" and the Cardas revealing.
In terms of physical attributes, both the Equinox and Cardas are thicker and less flexible than the stock cable. The Equinox is more flexible than the Cardas and has a smooth coating. To me, this means that it doesn't sit nicely on your lap or elsewhere if you've got extra cable length as it slides off of whatever surface you put it on.

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 18
Doh! I didn't finish my previous reply.
Anyway, the general consensus on the boards here is that HD580+cables>HD600. So, I would get the cables and upgrade to the 600s later if you want to, since the cables work in both cans.

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Neil, i think you should definitely do a search for info on the Cardas and Equinox.

I think that Mic has good points, but before you shell out the dough, do a bit of reading. from what I gather, the Equinox is the way to go, but youll have to decide for yourself.

gluck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back