Setting Up Foobar Properly
Mar 4, 2010 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Shizdan

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to know how to correctly setup my Foobar for the best true sound. Any help? I play only .Flac and use Windows 7 x64.

Such as should i use Asio, Wasapi or Kernal Streaming. Any other useful info.

I use my Little Dot Dac_II (USB) to Little Dot MK III to HD600's

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such as should i use Asio, Wasapi or Kernal Streaming

You can use whichever one you can get to work. If you're using a DAC, all three will give you identical bit-perfect output unless it's not working correctly (despite what some others around here might say). For ease of use and compatibility, I'd go with WASAPI. Make sure you set the buffer to less than 1000ms with WASAPI (500ms should be fine).

Other than that, turn of all DSP's in foobar, make sure your output sample rates and data format match that of the audio files you are listening to, (and also remember to do the same thing in Windows control panel) and set foobar's volume level to 100%.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halluci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use whichever one you can get to work. If you're using a DAC, all three will give you identical bit-perfect output unless it's not working correctly (despite what some others around here might say). For ease of use and compatibility, I'd go with WASAPI. Make sure you set the buffer to less than 1000ms with WASAPI (500ms should be fine).

Other than that, turn of all DSP's in foobar, make sure your output sample rates and data format match that of the audio files you are listening to, (and also remember to do the same thing in Windows control panel) and set foobar's volume level to 100%.

WASAPI ITS NOT BIT PERFECT (despite what some others around here might say)

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WASAPI ITS NOT BIT PERFECT (despite what some others around here might say)

Says who? It would seem to depend on the hardware and on which mode the driver is operating in.

It would seem it is common to mix up terms around here. Some seem to use Bitperfect and auto sample rate interchangably which they are very different things.
Anyway, which is what is not really the point and not worth debating over I would think.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know how to correctly setup my Foobar for the best true sound. Any help? I play only .Flac and use Windows 7 x64.

Such as should i use Asio, Wasapi or Kernal Streaming. Any other useful info.

I use my Little Dot Dac_II (USB) to Little Dot MK III to HD600's

I would try all three and use your ears to decide. Your cards/devices setup also has something to do with it. Some sources allow bitperfect but you have to adjust the sample rate. Other sources allow bit perfect and auto sample rate adjustment through one API, say ASIO but not others.
For instance, the new STX/ST driver allow both bitperfect and autosample rate adjustment through ASIO.

Bravura drivers on the other hand will not allow native ASIO at all and if you want bit perfect you have to use WASAPI according to Auzentech, testing would seem to indicate the same.

If all three are options on your device and true bitperfect, they should all sound identical.

I find some people think one over the other is the holy grail....you have to use this or you have bad sound! In the end it is your sound system, if you want to apply EQ, reverb or other effects knock yourself out. If you want a pure stream untouched by anything, more power to you. Run some test and stick with the one that gives you the best sound for your system.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to Auzentech, testing would seem to indicate the same.

What testing have you tried smth like this cMP² | CMP / 04BitPerfect

Auzentech probably doesn`t want to mess with bit perfect cards anymore, since they don`t sound right, or because doing drivers in 7 it`s too complicated,
they just want to imitate asus, with the funky tube sound, full of EQ, opamp rrolling is a prove,
bit perfect cards are a dying breed..

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtofront001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys have replay gain enabled?

I have all of my files tagged with ReplayGain info, then I use the ReplayGain override plugin:
foobar2000: Components Repository - Replaygain Override

It allows me to enable Track ReplayGain when I have the playback order set to random, so that consecutive tracks are somewhat equalized in volume, but to turn it off for default order, when I'm usually doing more critical listening.

At work I enable Album ReplayGain because I listen to albums at a time, but I'm not paying 100% attention to the music.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

What testing have you tried smth like this cMP² | CMP / 04BitPerfect

Auzentech probably doesn`t want to mess with bit perfect cards anymore, since they don`t sound right, or because doing drivers in 7 it`s too complicated,
they just want to imitate asus, with the funky tube sound, full of EQ, opamp rrolling is a prove,

Whatever. You're not making any sense.
You should go and do some reading on WASAPI though as you seem to be mixed up.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtofront001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys have replay gain enabled?

I don't use it myself. I know many that do though...

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

you are a dissident my friend!
xla.gif

the consumer soundcard industry is based on bs from the ground up...they boast about pointless 120dB SNR, bribe clueless computer review sites to post raving reviews, put rollable opamps to make the audiophile wannabes happy(what could the point on a nasty SMPS in an EMI hostile environment again?), provide crappy resampled drivers that barely work, pay shills to feed bs to potential customers...that's the formula to success
cisco1.gif

I'd advise the OP to try uLilith, it kills foobar in every department IMHO.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd advise the OP to try uLilith, it kills foobar in every department IMHO.

Except for, like, everything, right? Hard to download, hard to configure, hard to find the controls... Silly silly interface.

Me no likey.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to download, hard to configure, hard to find the controls... Silly silly interface.

maybe you're mixing w/ lilith?

I don't really see what you're talking about tbh: Index of /download/uLilith

VST plugins are applied in 64bit float(32 only in foobar), all lossy audio is also decoded in 64float, it does replaygain too, 64float WASAPI if you like, ASIO etc etc...and it sounds far better to my ears.

anyway, it's just a suggestion
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except for, like, everything, right? Hard to download, hard to configure, hard to find the controls... Silly silly interface.

Me no likey.

I agrre with you on that one. I think I will either stick with foobar or Winamp or any of the other players that actually work. That one is useless, IMO.

So we should use this:
c05f0669780253.gif

hmm, now lets have a look at my current Foobar config:
Ibizia2.jpg

Yeah, I think I will take Foobar thanks.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you're mixing w/ lilith?

I don't really see what you're talking about tbh: Index of /download/uLilith

VST plugins are applied in 64bit float(32 only in foobar), all lossy audio is also decoded in 64float, it does replaygain too, 64float WASAPI if you like, ASIO etc etc...and it sounds far better to my ears.

anyway, it's just a suggestion
tongue.gif

I've just done a quick download of the latest x64 build of uLilith, running a 16 bit FLAC at about 800kbps (In The Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson) through it under 64 bit float in settings, with WASAPI.

It is a bit harder to browse through my music library on it. It may just be placebo effect but it sounds a tad laid back and smooth sounding, a bit more instrument seperation compared to Foobar2000. Although I still don't think it is worth it over Foobars ease of use though. Although maybe my source material doesn't do it justice. But the difference is even less than changing two similar quality interconnects.

**EDIT: I think the sound quality difference between the two is worth it, I agree with leeperry on this one guys. Try it out and use your ears to judge.**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back