Setting up a Chaintech AV710 for recording
Jan 29, 2006 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
This query goes out to all savvy users of the AV710: How would I go about setting up my AV10 for line input recording to WAV format (to which I will compress to high VBR Lame MP3's later), and could I use either the optical or analog input to do so? What software is recommended for this purpose?

I ask because I have some music that is on a different source but has an optical output, that needs converted to mp3 so I can listen to the material on my Karma. The problem is that the only way to get it over to the format is by recording it in real time, or so it would seem.

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. My PC is nearly completely set up properly for music applications now, as I finally have EAC running with Lame as it should, Rio Music Manager optimized with it, and of course Winamp with every useful plugin under the sun, particularly anything videogame audio related. The last major step is to get the ability to record with my soundcard, preferrably digitally in this case, and perhaps by way of microphone in the future.

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Most of all, you must not be running the card in high sampling mode. You're limited to analog in 'cuz there is no digital input. Software wise, you could use good ol' Audacity, the card is limited to 16 bit anyway. Additionally, you can get fairly nice Line-In and File Writer plugins for Winamp:
http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/dev/index.html
Audacity can record up to about 12 hours, actually even longer but then the track display/interface will go belly up (at least it did in 1.2.3) and you have to use the Audacity Recovery Utility after partitioning the temp files. WAV files are limited to 4 gigs (GiB), imposed by the format. WAVE64 is supported, but not widely known elsewhere (LAME, FLAC). Size limits for LAME are unknown, there are no inherent limits in the MP3 format, for FLAC it's 2 gigs as there still are some 2 and 4 gig bugs in there according to the developer.

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Most of all, you must not be running the card in high sampling mode. You're limited to analog in 'cuz there is no digital input. Software wise, you could use good ol' Audacity, the card is limited to 16 bit anyway. Additionally, you can get fairly nice Line-In and File Writer plugins for Winamp:
http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/dev/index.html
Audacity can record up to about 12 hours, actually even longer but then the track display/interface will go belly up (at least it did in 1.2.3) and you have to use the Audacity Recovery Utility after partitioning the temp files. WAV files are limited to 4 gigs (GiB), imposed by the format. WAVE64 is supported, but not widely known elsewhere (LAME, FLAC). Size limits for LAME are unknown, there are no inherent limits in the MP3 format, for FLAC it's 2 gigs as there still are some 2 and 4 gig bugs in there according to the developer.

Hmmm, I read that the optical output is switchable, and the audio controls allow it to be switched... I wonder why it wouldn't serve as both. In any case, if I have to, I can manage with analog, I just have to be able to make the initial WAV's of everything and then compress them. I'll try that software for Winamp and report back with my results. Thanks for the advice.

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Switchable? Never seen any card featuring something like this. And even Chaintech themselves only write:
Quote:

* Supports Mic In / Line In / 4 Line outs & Digital Optical output

For a digital in you'd need some receiver chip anyway, as only the SPDIF transmitter is already integrated into the Envy24HT-S.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Hmmm, I read that the optical output is switchable, and the audio controls allow it to be switched... I wonder why it wouldn't serve as both.
Abe

Though many soundcards feature switchable electrical connections such as the analog minijack outputs, as well as even perhaps an electrical (coax.) S/PDIF output, I too have never heard of a Toslink/optical output that can go both ways. This is because with Toslink you have either a light emitter or a light receiver that outputs or inputs the signal. I've never seen a Toslink emitter/receiver device that can do both things--it's one or the other hence requiring two connections for Output and Input.

I.e. In the case of a minijack output it is easy enough for the card to send a different signal down the path (e.g. changing L/R out to Sub/CTR out, etc.). But to change the electrical signal to a Toslink emitter or receiver doesn't change what the Toslink module is doing--it is only capable of one thing.

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Switchable? Never seen any card featuring something like this. And even Chaintech themselves only write:

For a digital in you'd need some receiver chip anyway, as only the SPDIF transmitter is already integrated into the Envy24HT-S.

Ah, so I guess its just a glitch in the software when setting it up, my bad. Anyway, I tried that Winamp program, and cannot seem to get it to work, and there's no way I'm going to use the default MS program for it- that thing would only record for 60 seconds with the worst sound quality imaginable
tongue.gif

Any help with the Winamp thing? I'll try Audacity in the meantime.
580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Update: Tried Audacity- I think I may stick with it. It's quite easy to use, exports as MP3 with Lame, and the only gripe I have might be a buffering issue. It seems that when recording I might get an occasional skip, but that's all. Everything else about it works fine. I might get a nice sub $50 mic to go with my setup now, but besides that, from an audio standpoint I couldn't ask for a better arrangement on my system, aside from a less constrictive form of Riorad Explorer...

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back