Serves me right for going, really.
Sep 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right place or not, but here goes.

Like a complete fool, I went to the gym the other day and took my MP3 player along as entertainment. I was quite happy listening along to my own music selection through my Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3 Studio IEM’s when the inevitable happened. Some sweat got in to the right side earpiece and it stopped working. When I got home, I dried it out as best I could and managed to get something from it, but it sounds very quiet and muffled.

Basically, what I’m asking is this, is the earpiece totally shot, or can it be fixed? If I need it replacing, do I have to get a matching pair like I would with decent speakers, or can a single earpiece be obtained?

Assuming they are now beyond repair, I could to with some suggestions as to replacements. It’s my birthday soon, so I’m expecting a few quid which I can put towards something suitable.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 15
My guess is the filter is clogged. If it is, than you might need to send it back to UE for filter replacement.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for that. I'm reading though your article on IEM tips at the moment.

Not sure what you mean by filters though. I had a pair of Sure's that had a gauze stuck on the end of the plastic nozzle to prevent wax entering the insides, but there isn't one on the UE's.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 15
ue3exploded.jpg

UE like to call the filter 'acoustic damper' or some reason, but it functions as a filter nonetheless, except it is not user replaceable because it is deep inside (might not be obvious if you didn't look very closely). If the problem lies in the filter, the only option is to send it back to UE for service.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 15
You know your stuff when it comes to these things. Your feedback is much appreciated.

I had the offending IEMs hanging up in the airing cupboard overnight, much to my wife's amusement. I shall plug them in and have a listen at lunchtime to see if they are any better. Failing that, it's back to Ultimate Ears.

In the mean time, I need a replacement. I was thinking of some closed cans (I'm not too bothered about appearances) for around £70 if you have any thoughts.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyalfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the mean time, I need a replacement. I was thinking of some closed cans (I'm not too bothered about appearances) for around £70 if you have any thoughts.

I will probably be looking for AKG K81DJ or K518DJ (same 'phone, different color) as my basic entry class closed can, but you probably can find them for around £50 (Amazon UK price). I am not into closed can so anything better is out of my knowledge. Maybe someone else can recommend a better choice.

Note that the AKG is a bit tight when new, and the cable is really long.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm. So, does this mean you shouldn't use IEMs if you have just had a bath/shower?

Probably not an good idea.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 15
I've worn & continue to wear IEMs in the gym. Everytime I go in fact, & have yet to come across a problem caused by it.

Apart from looking a fool when I bring out the air guitar.....

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 15
I've also worn my ER4p and Superfi 5 pros(now broken) for the past year in the gym, running and lifting without problems. I've also used them working on the horse ranch while at school, in -20celsius and also in the 30s without problems. However, once the left superfi driver crapped out on me, but UE sent out a new pair to me in record time.

Just shoot them an email, explain the situation kindly, even show a picture(that's what I did with my left driver and the four broken cables), they'll most likely send you a replacement if you are within warranty. Unless things have changed since the Logitech transition.

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've worn & continue to wear IEMs in the gym. Everytime I go in fact, & have yet to come across a problem caused by it.

Me too and I sweat profusely. The key is once inserted don't take them out until you are done and wear a headband to catch most of the sweat running off your head.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 15
At the risk of sounding yucky, I do perspire rather profusely when in the gym, because I am rather old, overweight and out of condition.
frown.gif

The problem occurred when I a trickle went into my ear, and I felt the earpiece starting to slip out. I pushed it back in heard a loud squelching noise (I did warn you,
triportsad.gif
) and the music stopped.

When I got home, I was able to shake out some of the water, which resulted in some sound, but it is very muffled and quiet.

I think the answer is to either
a)not go to the gym anymore or
b)listen to the crap they play over the speaker system.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too and I sweat profusely. The key is once inserted don't take them out until you are done and wear a headband to catch most of the sweat running off your head.

Or you can wear a pair of tighty whities over your head to for super sweat absorbtion. And if the color white is not "loud" enough for your taste, choose some whities with skidmarks to add color and texture, for a more hip, post modern look.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 15
i got caught in the rain with iems one time. we both got soaked, but they turned out ok.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 15
I think it was the pushing back in, forcing the moisture into the inside of the unit that caused the problem. Actually, the more I think about it, the less I feel I should have shared this with you guys. Sweating is never attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back