Seriously...
Oct 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #33 of 252
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With an audiophile company/retailer like Headroom having Skull Candy on their Top-Ten list, they're now going to have the "cred" they need. Note my sarcastic tone. I understand Headroom's need to make money, but I'm disappointed in their new approach. I think they're going to alienate the core group that built their company when they try to peddle inferior products as audiophile level quality. Rant over. Ross

I have to agree. I used to use the Headroom mini reviews to help figure out which headphones I should choose. The same place giving positive reviews to Skullcandy headphones to move them takes all the credibility away from their other reviews. Definitely alienating me.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #34 of 252
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always assumed it's because people like to feel the bass pumping inside them. The feel more and they find it's awesome. Bit like going into a club and finding overblown bass, same situation.

*Experience from a teenager*

Well I get nausea from too much bass exposure.
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #35 of 252
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Skullcandy are trying to be like Grado.
Grado HF1/HF2 = Skullcandy Audiophile.

You can't be serious....
confused.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #36 of 252
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't be serious....
confused.gif

There is most definitely an element of "cred" that goes with owning a HFx.
That's not why the majority of people buy them, but there is undoubtedly an element of it in there.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #38 of 252
Why do you guys talk about skullcandy at all? They are not even in the same category as audiophile headphones, they are just toys, so I don't see why they should be discussed here. In Ferrari forums they don't spend all their time talking about how bad Fords are and how regular people need to be "saved" from their crappy cars..... that's exactly what people on here have been doing lately and it's annoying me.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #39 of 252
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you guys talk about skullcandy at all? They are not even in the same category as audiophile headphones, they are just toys, so I don't see why they should be discussed here. In Ferrari forums they don't spend all their time talking about how bad Fords are and how regular people need to be "saved" from their crappy cars..... that's exactly what people on here have been doing lately and it's annoying me.

Because here at Head-Fi, most of us in the community want to teach and inform others about high quality headphones and the difference between what consumer level headphones are and what true 'audiophile' sound is. Oh, btw, those other hobby-based sites absolutely do discuss other stuff they think of as inferior. Ferrari sites included. Just mention the word Corvette. You'll see. lol

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #40 of 252
Quote:

Because here at Head-Fi, most of us in the community want to teach and inform others about high quality headphones and the difference between what consumer level headphones are and what true 'audiophile' sound is. Oh, btw, those other hobby-based sites absolutely do discuss other stuff they think of as inferior. Ferrari sites included. Just mention the word Corvette. You'll see. lol

Do they hate Corvettes? But I love Corvettes...
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #41 of 252
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they hate Corvettes? But I love Corvettes...
frown.gif

I love them too. I've had two. But mentioning a Corvette to a Ferrari (I love them but never owned) freak is a sure way to stir up a storm. Mentioning Skullcandy and other consumer type headphones here on Head-Fi and discussing them helps others who want to learn more about headphones. So I think they should be freely discussed.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #44 of 252
Quote:

I love them too. I've had two. But mentioning a Corvette to a Ferrari (I love them but never owned) freak is a sure way to stir up a storm. Mentioning Skullcandy and other consumer type headphones here on Head-Fi and discussing them helps others who want to learn more about headphones. So I think they should be freely discussed.

Maybe some 14-16 year old bench racer Ferrari fanboy would go crazy over someone mentioning a Corvette, but probably not an actual Ferrari owner.
I'm a member of Ferrarichat. The thing about Ferrari owners is that very few of them own only Ferraris, since they're really not the most practical everyday car, a lot of them use BMWs as daily drivers for example. Go to a Ferrarichat get together and you'll probably see some Corvettes, Lambos, maybe the odd NSX, Lotus or 911.

Just like the people on this forum they can appreciate a high quality product regardless of the brand. A low quality product is a different story though. I really don't even think there is a car world equivalent to an extremely heavily promoted product that is truly terrible these days, it just wouldn't survive because it's much easier to judge a car objectively.

When it comes to headphones, all they need to do is fit on your head and produce sound, all of them can do the job, and with no other frame of reference any of them seemingly do it well enough. Which is exactly why I site like this is useful.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #45 of 252
^
Understand that HeadFi appeals to everyone, people of all ages, so you get posts like this bc you don't need the resources to get into HiFi you need to be into ferarris, so for ferrarichat there's just a built in arrogance where you wouldn't even considering discussing Ford or any other lesser cars. However, this site is not a high-end audio owners only club, it's not Just for drivers of Ferraris, but fords and vokswagons and all kinds of cars. I imagine ferrarichat is most geared for 30+ moneyed professionals/italians/etc, with the typical exceptions. Skullcandy is a fashion niche and is thus a point of contention for the youth and certainly a valid talking point, while for you maybe it doesn't make any sense to talk about it because you are just into talking about your own equipment or those of other peoples specifically, which is what this site is mostly about certainly. however, all it takes to be a real audiophile is maybe 20 grand and a day off to go to the hiFI boutique, nothing real interesting there. a good thing is that head-fi is also about "listening culture", i.e what headphones look cool, which don't, imrpoving sound, the limits of auditory perception, enjoying your headphones (what sounds best to you), etc. it's all there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back