Serious question: Why is the AK380 four thousand dollars?
Dec 31, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #121 of 182
regular_smile .gif
  I do both.  And both bring me pleasure.  It's called opportunity cost.  

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #122 of 182
  Me too (the sarcasm part).  You are simply wrong about cables having no interesting properties other than conductivity and resistance.  We agree to disagree. (end of sarcastic comments)     I think we would both rather enjoy music than arguing about cables.  Checking out new music on Tidal as I type this, diggging my new Focal Utopias.

Have a wonderful New Year!

Out of curiosity, other the resistance(impedance) and conductivity what other properties cable has that could affect sound?

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #124 of 182

Out of curiosity, other the resistance(impedance) and conductivity what other properties cable has that could affect sound?

The physicists can answer better than I, but I would imagine all of the reactive elements of cables - inductance, capacitance, and the df and dielectric constant of the insulator(s), the ability of the cable to reject noise, whether it is microphonic, stuff like that.  Many argue that this stuff does not matter for audio.  

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #126 of 182
And again, blanket statements that don't take user's experience and desires into the equation.  This is what I was referencing in my earlier posts.  If we can just get to a place here where everyone's experience is valued and no one says, "that can't be the case," things here would be a lot more pleasant.  

If we could ever get to the place where people would accept the flaws in human perception, then things here would be a lot more pleasant :wink:

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #129 of 182
"I'd rather upgrade my vacation or buy a new lens for my DSLR."

Opportunity cost.  YOUR choice on how you spend YOUR money.  Others may (most certainly do) chose to spend their money in other ways.  

Perhaps, hypothetically,  I am in some manner offended by how you spend your money on your upgraded vacation.  It's not my place to tell you that you are foolish for spending it that way, and there really is only a PERCEPTUAL difference between the lower priced and higher priced room or meals or....  that you are paying for.  And that when your vacation is over you will have nothing tangible left for the money you spent.  It's called manners.  Something that existed before the internet.  
bigsmile_face.gif
  Your choices are different than my choices.  So I accept your choices as valid and hopefully you will accept mine.  We don't need to question them, only accept them and ask how we enjoyed them.  I hope you enjoyed your vacation and lens.  Yes, I am enjoying my AK 120ll.  See how easy that was?  
smile.gif

"If we could ever get to the place where people would accept the flaws in human perception, then things here would be a lot more pleasant 
wink.gif
"

(I'm assuming you are making a joke here.)  Should everyone perceive things exactly the same way?  Unlikely.  Those differences are what make us us.  Of course we hear things differently.  And see things differently.  And smell things differently.  And react to things differently.  That's what makes us so interesting as sentient creatures.  

I'm a teacher.  You haven't lived until you've been in a room with a bunch of students trying to teach them a fact and they have a multitude of reactions to that fact.  Diversity is a wonderful thing.

"I do both too 
biggrin.gif
. People don't know there are much more expensive hobby than this 
biggrin.gif
"

I was a commercial photographer for thirty years (before becoming a teacher).  Talk about expensive!  This is playtime by comparison.  And we had lots of discussion re cameras and lenses and film types and lights.  The big one was Leica cost vs. anything else (I used Nikons and Hasseys).  That one reminds me of this thread.  

Oh, and since this is still the 380 thread, I continue to think that, for me, it is overpriced.  For others it may be the best thing since sliced bread.

And Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #130 of 182
  "I'd rather upgrade my vacation or buy a new lens for my DSLR."

Opportunity cost.  YOUR choice on how you spend YOUR money.  Others may (most certainly do) chose to spend their money in other ways.  

Perhaps, hypothetically,  I am in some manner offended by how you spend your money on your upgraded vacation.  It's not my place to tell you that you are foolish for spending it that way, and there really is only a PERCEPTUAL difference between the lower priced and higher priced room or meals or....  that you are paying for.  And that when your vacation is over you will have nothing tangible left for the money you spent.  It's called manners.  Something that existed before the internet.  
bigsmile_face.gif
  Your choices are different than my choices.  So I accept your choices as valid and hopefully you will accept mine.  We don't need to question them, only accept them and ask how we enjoyed them.  I hope you enjoyed your vacation and lens.  Yes, I am enjoying my AK 120ll.  See how easy that was?  
smile.gif

"If we could ever get to the place where people would accept the flaws in human perception, then things here would be a lot more pleasant 
wink.gif
"

(I'm assuming you are making a joke here.)  Should everyone perceive things exactly the same way?  Unlikely.  Those differences are what make us us.  Of course we hear things differently.  And see things differently.  And smell things differently.  And react to things differently.  That's what makes us so interesting as sentient creatures.  

I'm a teacher.  You haven't lived until you've been in a room with a bunch of students trying to teach them a fact and they have a multitude of reactions to that fact.  Diversity is a wonderful thing.

"I do both too 
biggrin.gif
. People don't know there are much more expensive hobby than this 
biggrin.gif
"

I was a commercial photographer for thirty years (before becoming a teacher).  Talk about expensive!  This is playtime by comparison.  And we had lots of discussion re cameras and lenses and film types and lights.  The big one was Leica cost vs. anything else (I used Nikons and Hasseys).  That one reminds me of this thread.  

Oh, and since this is still the 380 thread, I continue to think that, for me, it is overpriced.  For others it may be the best thing since sliced bread.

And Happy New Year!

I was expressing my opinion in what should be both humorous and truthful, they can overlap. After all, this thread is really about opinions.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #133 of 182

I was expressing my opinion in what should be both humorous and truthful, they can overlap. After all, this thread is really about opinions.

As long as all opinions are valued and not belittled.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #134 of 182
As long as all opinions are valued and not belittled.

There's an old saying: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some are necessarily better than others.

It's pretty common sense, too. If you need medical advice, do you ask your doctor? Or do you value the opinion of some random Joe Schmoo off the street?

Most of us (maybe not you) constantly evaluate opinions in our day to day lives and decide which have value and which don't. Why should the expectation be different here?

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #135 of 182
"Most of us (maybe not you) constantly evaluate opinions in our day to day lives and decide which have value and which don't. Why should the expectation be different here?"

​My point, consistently, in this thread and others, is that when people make blanket statements that effectively belittle other people's opinions it is not helpful.  If a discussion is being held about a device (in this case, for example, the 380, and someone says in absolute terms that it can't be good, that does not advance the conversation.  If someone says, instead, that they see no reason to spend that kind of money for it, or they have tried one and didn't like it, that has value.  Even if you don't agree with their opinion, there is room for conversation and debate.

Stating as an absolute that someone else's opinion has no value does not advance the conversation, here or elsewhere.   

"It's pretty common sense, too. If you need medical advice, do you ask your doctor? Or do you value the opinion of some random Joe Schmoo off the street?"

If I want to read about people's opinions re audio, I find that the ones who have what what I am considering are the ones that have valid (to me) information.  To follow through on your statement, why would I want the opinion of someone who doesn't have the device I am interested in?  

"There's an old saying: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some are necessarily better than others."

And again, if you have the equipment, then I am interested in your opinion.  If you don't, and are telling me (telling me!) why I shouldn't want that equipment, you really aren't helping me make a determination based on first-hand knowledge.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back