series of questions
Dec 22, 2007 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spickerish

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm new here and I know jack-crap bout headphones.
I would like to buy a pair of headphones. I already have a pair of ety er-6i in ears but I'm also thinking about buying a pair of headphones.
1. Do headphones drain youre iPod battery quicker than normal in-ears? I'm looking at a 50 ohm pair and a 32 ohm pair, I think ohm's have something to do with battery live, but I'm not sure.
2. Are the Skullcandy Gi or Skullcandy Ti's any good. A friend of mine has the gi's and he sais they are pretty good. But as said before I know nothing about headphones.
3. Is there anything you can recommend under 80 dollars. I don't want to spend too much since my ety's will be my main pair. I don't want too much bass, I would like it to be balanced, like the ety's. Noise isolation however, is very important to me. Are the skullcandys any good, and if so which one would you recommend.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 6
1. Impedance rating has more to do with the sensitivity of the 'phone (low impedance -> louder sounding on the same ouput volume from your DAP). Say you set your ipod on 20% volume, a pair of 32ohms 'phone will sound louder than a pair of 50ohms 'phone. To get the same volume level from both the 32ohms and the 50homs 'phone, you will need to increase your ipod volume to more than 20% when using the 50ohms 'phone - and therfore it is why you battery drain faster (as volume is up now). Of course, if you rather listen to a dimmer 50ohms 'phone on 20% volume, both 'phones will drain about the same power (since you set the volume at a fixed 20%).

2) SkullCandy is generally considered to be some of the worst investment you can made in the headphone world... 'pretty good' is only if you never listen to a pair of better 'phone. Avoiding everything labeled SkullCandy and Bose is what most Head-fi'ers practice their whole life.

3) AKG K81DJ, Panasonic RP-HTX7 - both cheap and sound OK for their price.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Impedance rating has more to do with the sensitivity of the 'phone (low impedance -> louder sounding on the same ouput volume from your DAP). Say you set your ipod on 20% volume, a pair of 32ohms 'phone will sound louder than a pair of 50ohms 'phone. To get the same volume level from both the 32ohms and the 50homs 'phone, you will need to increase your ipod volume to more than 20% when using the 50ohms 'phone - and therfore it is why you battery drain faster (as volume is up now). Of course, if you rather listen to a dimmer 50ohms 'phone on 20% volume, both 'phones will drain about the same power (since you set the volume at a fixed 20%).

kinda sorta.

If the headphones both have the same db/mw rating, yeah, at the same perceived volume they will drain the battery equally as much.

A headphone with low impedance doesn't necessarily have high sensitivity, and some headphones will drain the battery quicker than others.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 6
^^^ Listen to ericj, his wooden head is far more knowledgeable on all thing audio than I can ever be :p

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 6
For under $100 I would suggest these:

The Denon AH-C700 are fantastic. They are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200):

Denon AH-C700

The UE Super.fi 3's are great for IEM all around. They are bulky and have to be worn over the ear. $59.99 shipped

UE Super.fi 3

The UE Metro.fi 2's are great for bass heavy rock. They are not bulky like the Super.fi series and do not go over the ear. $49.99 shipped

UE Metro.fi 2

The Crossroads MylarOne X3i are great too. The build quality is not "super" strong like the three above, but they are much better then the V-Moda. $57 shipped

Jaben.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back