Sept 3rd WEDDING: 1000 sq ft. dance room with 13 ft. high ceilings... what do we need?
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #17 of 46
Flat/cold is what you do not want. If nothing else is available then try to eq down the high frequencies.

I also strongly suggest getting familiar with the set-up and using the gear of your choice prior to the event. Nothing worse than having a bunch of people staring at you while you struggle to figure out how to get the system working properly.

If theres going to be speaker cables running around the room,invest in a cpl rolls of duct tape too.

Finally my last bit of advice(until I think of more) is even though you prefer electronica music,understand that there might be some folks at your wedding who might not like it. Try to have at least some basic classics on hand in case Grandma comes up and says "when are you gonna play something good"?!?

If dinner is to be eaten in this space,some "dinner music" should be considered. Jazz at low volume levels always seems to satisfy.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 46
True. Toronto has no shortage of sound rental houses, but their all in the outskirts of the city. I need proximity as the event is right downtown and I need be reasonable to those helping me with the cargo.

The rental house can deliver the gear and pick it up. They can even supply someone to help you with set-up and operation of the gear. Telling a rental house what the space is about and what you want to do could save a lot of time and aggravation. Obviously, if the cost is prohibitive, that's another matter.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 46
I'll tell you my logic. When it comes to bass there's no replacement for displacement. Those bass cabs have two 15" in them but the size of the cabinet is small. They're kicker boxes basically. Get 8 or 10 if you can carry them! More cabinet volume will couple the bass to the room better, and lower distortion, and using *some* boundary reinforcement will tend to extend the bass lower. If you want good bass, don't over-extend the gear. I do think it's cool how the gear all hooks together, but getting it working long beforehand is the best advice!

Also, like Monsterzero in his great wisdom says, not everyone wants to dance to bleeps and bloops. Is the music for you, your fiance, or the people who attend? What made those times in your past special was that people had a good time, not the specific music. Electronica is an aquired taste which a lot of people haven't aquired..

EQ was always assumed, why not? If you have too much highs, only use four of the md/high cabs, keep them in place but don't plug them all in.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 46
Monsterzero, the set-up of the equipment will take place the day prior to the event. Those who are going to play out will familiarize with the equipment at this time.

... I've been collecting deep trance from ektoplazm.com, too; a great resource for goa & psy run by a Toronto local (who I knew years ago when he was fresh!)

I went to his flat. He had a 303, maybe other Roland's. He let me try to beatmatch his Photek record. Another time, there was an after pub party at his place.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #22 of 46
Grandma will be taken care of, too, along with all those who have her taste (many, I suppose.) There will be a classical/folk/jazz chamber in another room at the party too; so those who don't like "bleeps and bloops" (understandably so, it takes a while to like post-canonical electronic music) will have canonical music to enjoy.

The electronic music will be played for those who want be goofy and have a different experience; some of my family and some of my friends are really into groovy beats and novelties.

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #23 of 46
rredge, yes, after this information, thanks you to all of you, I will ask the rental company to deliver, set up, return. since our wedding is practically free when it comes to the service and hall rental, we will be able to afford this.

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #27 of 46
That's some good bleepety bloopety bloops. If only I could acquire Air Liquide on itunes, junodownload, or beatport (I have so wanted to purchase Liquid Air for years.) ... if only. THEN I would have something to mix with Plastikman! haha :) *cheers*!

Oh yes, speaking of iTunes; certain online digital dj magazines said iTunes is closing down Jan/Mar 2019 ... some say it's a rumor. Is there any truth behind that? I still need to download enough that I would be on the razor's edge in finishing at the supposed cut off point to feel satisfied with having a well rounded collection! [sorry, off topic ... perhaps I should do my own research or open a new thread!]

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 46
... Oh yes, forgot to say [to all] ... it's in the basement and the construction of the ground is pretty solid, wood, underneath that concrete, underneath that soil ... or that's how it feels on my feet ... so while it may be plausible that carpet is necessary, it's not all that a hundred percent important.

So, final verdict: 10 2x15 bass cabs and 4 tops??? That sound like a lot but it may be worth it, given what I want to achieve. ... Also, lights? I don't know too much about lights; are some lights better than others without fog/haze/dry ice? It's too bad that I can't use the effects, true, just wishing to do my best with what I've got.

Last, and this a concern, how much power will be zapped from such a performance? Since the hall was given over to us for free, I don't want to take advantage of the situation (energy expenditures) and I sure don't want to burn any bridges (I might/may have future frequent events in the hall so I want pull this off like a fencer's flail pointing right on target ... not a one-off battle axe)!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #30 of 46
Power is a really good point, the power draw from 10 of those subs is going to be huge (lmao!). The subs are rated from their manual at 5.5 amps typ/ 7.7 amps max. each. So even 2 subs and two mid.high cabs is pushing it for a 15 amp circuit. I wouldn't worry so much about the cost of the power, flip them $100 for it, but you don't want to be tripping the circuit breakers. You want to find out how many circuits there are and which outlets they are!

As far as lights I always liked those multicolored spinning jobs, and you'll need a mirror ball with a couple/few spots on it. some of those house lamps that are long poles with the light shooting up (torchiere?) would be good for a little ambient pool of light or two, or three. Bring a couple flashlights.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back