Sept 3rd WEDDING: 1000 sq ft. dance room with 13 ft. high ceilings... what do we need?
Aug 24, 2018 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Outreach Relief

New Head-Fier
Hi, :)

I am about to host a reception at [my and my fiancee's] wedding. We're have a 1000 sq ft. room with 13 ft. high ceilings just to dance in!

Since I'm given the opportunity to DJ, DJ I will along with a few friends of mine. We're still deciding what to play but here are some ideas of options of what we're wishing to enjoy for the dance/chill (depending on the mood). We're expecting no more than 100 people, realistically about 85 people:

house, breakbeat hardcore, jungle, drum n bass (1989-1995) ... too many artists to mention...
classic trance (techno, progressive, hard, acid) (1991-1998) ... too many artists to mention...
mojave/westcoast/chemical/funky desert breaks (1993-1997) ... too many artists to mention...
dub (1992-2018)...Plus 8/Probe(1990-1997)...London [filthy/hard] acid (1994-2018) techno ...

ambient house, ambient techno, ambient dub/dub techno,& psybient, psy dub (1991-2010)
[The Orb, Aphex Twin, Global Communication, Boards of Canada, Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Deepchord & Echospace]

trip hop/downtempo (instrmntl hip hop/mod classical/nu jazz) (2006-2010)
[Emancipator, Hidden Orchestra, Saltillo, Litttle People]

* So the processing of this sound runs the gamut of modern processing, analog to digital, no doubt.
* If I am reading this chart correctly ... https://i1.wp.com/soundsandgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg ... the frequency range should be from lowest audible sounds to highest (>20Hz to <20kHz.)

I don't know technicalities because I skipped my own the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Manual's reread session (j/k) ... in all honesty I don't know anything at all about sound reinforcement. What I do know is the rental company that everyone seems to go to stocks only Yorkville's, eh.

I wish to feature the deepest bass possible, so the bass will be *felt* (just like in the good old days) but I'm not looking for "Nasenbluten" levels... just really rich deep bass that can be felt like a warm blanket hugging the audience from within.

The deepest, most powerful sub, [the dual 15 inch] PSA2, has a range of 30Hz-100Hz and an 134 Peak (131dB Continuous) maximum output. https://www.long-mcquade.com/20749/...owered-Subwoofer-2-x-15-inch---2400-Watts.htm

Q1: Given the size of the room, amount of people (density,) the sound production of the tracks, the response and SPL, how many of these bad boys would I need to get the desired effect?

Q2: How should I position this subwoofer/subwoofers in the room for most rich bass? How can I determine this on site?

Coming to the selection of tops, these two tops seem to be top-tier.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/45639/...-Watt-Peak-12-Inch-Horn-Active-PA-Cabinet.htm

https://www.long-mcquade.com/43341/...-Watt-Peak-15-Inch-Horn-Active-PA-Cabinet.htm

Q3:
Should I rent the 12'' 2000 watt or 15'' 1600 watt version, how many to balance the x-number of PSA 2('s)? Each PS2 is 2400 watt "program power."

For both my fiancee and I, this is a once in a lifetime event. So we are going all out, on the important details. Sound is one of them. I am still a raver at heart and I wish to show my bride (and mostly, if not everyone else in the audience) what it means to be surrounded by a vibe of at an oldskool party with their friends within a zone of safety.

This is a clean party (we didn't get a liquor license, and everything else is out of the question,) there is nothing we can do be enjoy ourselves by being surrounded by loving people who wish only the best for us. ... With the right tunes, at the right levels, with the right people, and the right atmospheric effects (even), nothing else is necessary for her to feel loved by everything and all around her.

Final question:
This is only for the hardcore helpers out there ...

https://www.long-mcquade.com/rentals/pa
What atmospheric effects should I use here to bedazzle the place: lasers, LED, and black light possible. Anything that sets off a smoke alarm, no (because it will set of the smoke alarm). It's in a basement, it's from 5:30 to midnight, so it will get dark as time stretches.

What other artistry, manufacturing, industrial works should I use to light up the location and make the event glow with maximum radiance?!?!

Answers, discussion, links, and comments and rebuttals, tips and tricks, welcome here! Time is of the essence. Tally Ho!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 46
I know nothing about live sound, but if it were me I'd start with 6 of the sub units and 6 of the 12" mid/high cabinets. The 12" mids will integrate better with the tweeter horn. The subs are small, and the mid/high cabs will need to be arrayed to get some dispersion, otherwise there will be a blast zone for highs and you'll be turning them up too much to hear them elsewhere. Put them on a shorter wall away from the corners, unless the room is more squarish, the bass will be overwhelming and hard to control with corner placement. Pull them out from the wall if there's just too much bass. fwiw.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 46
Have you thought about the acoustics of the room? Do you need to address reverb in terms of sound absorption and bass traps? Just something to consider.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 46
Ah, yes. I am aware that this may be an issue. But I am unclear as to how to resolve it given: cost, time, location; that's why I said I would like to play at the right levels, I don't wish to create any sort of bad bass issues (this is beyond my understanding, I just know there may be some if I play too loudly and with too much bass.)

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 46
I DJ'd for many years. I suggest renting 2 speakers with stands. Place them on either side of your DJ,facing the floor.
Also grab a bass bin. Place that as close to a room corner as you can. Doesnt matter where the bin is placed in terms of the dance floor as low frequencies are essentially non directional.
Have an amp for the reg speakers and another for the bass bin. That will prevent overloading the amp which can result in distortion. You can also set the volume for the speakers and bass bin separately in this config.

Also understand that it will sound pretty bad in an empty space,with sound waves bouncing off of all surfaces. Having guests on the floor will absorb a lot of the sound, lessening the reflection and making it sound better.

I also recommend renting some lights. They def help set the mood.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 46
Thank's, Monsterzero. ... I am not sure if your aware of this, because it seems as if you aren't -- or I may be in complete ignorance, but the speakers and sub are powered, not passive. So amps aren't neccessary, eh? :)

Also, I'm not sure what sort of music you played -- some people who are in the business of speakers say that certain genres require more or less punch. I didn't drop genres in my op out of the blue but try to give a rough estimate of what I am dealing with.*** Then again, I simply plead ignorance. I don't know what you played nor on what systems, nor to how many people.

What I am getting at is I want a *palpable bass experience* with no bad bass issues. I am unclear as to whether reverb is one of them. I don't know the terminology.

And so I am stuck between tansand's recommendation: 6 of the sub units and 6 of the 12" mid/high cabinets and your's 2 speakers with stands with a bass bin.

Here are the specs for the speakers and sub.

System Type - 2-Way
Active or Passive - Active
Program Power (Watts) - 1000 Watts (2000 Watts Peak)
Biampable - Self Powered
Biamp Operation Only - Yes
Max SPL (dB) - 134dB Peak (128dB Continuous)
Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3dB) - 45 - 18k
Crossover Frequency (Hz) - 2k
Driver Configuration - 12-inch / 1-inch
HF Driver(s) - 1.4-inch Aluminum Diaphragm w/ 1-inch exit
HF Dispersion - (H x V) - 80 x 50
HF Protection - Thermal / Peak Limiter
LF Driver(s) - 12-inch w/ 3-inch voicecoil
LF Protection - Thermal / Overcurrent
HF Amplifier Type - Two Tier Class H
LF Amplifier Type - Class D
Power Cable - Yes
Power Switch - Yes
Power Consumption (typ/max) - 60Hz 2.0A / 50Hz 1,0A
Inputs - 1/4" Jacks - 2 (line input) 2 (link in/out)
Inputs - XLR - 1 (mic) 2 (line in/out)
Input Sensitivity (Vrms Sine) - +4dBv / 1.23V
Mixer Controls - Mixer on/off switch
Mic - Input Gain
Line - Input Gain
Treble/Bass - Tweak
Level Controls+/- 6dB Main Volume
EQ Controls - 100Hz HP Filter (LF Rolloff)
Limiter - Yes
LED IndicatorsPower/Clip/Limit
FeetYes
Flying Hardware - 1/4-20 x 5 - 2 (Top), 2 (Bottom), 1 (Pullback)
Optional Flying Hardware - NXF Flyware
Bar Handles - 1 (Side)
Pole Mount Adapter (1 3/8"-3.5cm) - Yes
Enclosure Materials - Molded Polypropylene
Grille - Perforated Metal
Covering / Finish - Black
Dimensions (DWH xbackW, inches) - 12.25 x 16 x 26.5 x 9
Dimensions (DWH xbackW, cm) - 31.12 x 40.6 x 67.3 x 22.9
Weight (lbs/kg)- 41 / 18.6

SUB
Features:
- High Performance Active Subwoofer
- Dual 15-inch Drivers in Bass Reflex Cabinet
- Ideal Companion Subwoofer for PSA1 System
- Solid 15mm Birch Cabinet Construction
- Integrated Pole Mount Adaptor
- Heavy Duty Wheels
- Made in Canada

Specifications:
• Active or Passive: Active
• Program Power (Watts): 2400 Watts Program (4800 Watts Peak)
• Max SPL (dB): 134 Peak (131dB Continuous)
• Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3dB): 30Hz-100Hz (Hz +/- 3db)
• Crossover Frequency (Hz): fixed @ 100Hz
• Driver Configuration: 2x15-inch (Bass Reflex Cabinet)
• LF Driver(s): 2x15-inch Ceramic with 3-inch Voice Coil
• LF Impedance (Ohms): 2x8 Ohm Load
• LF Power Amplifier (Watts): Class D 2400 Watts
• Enclosure Materials: 15mm Birch
• Baffle Material: 15mm Birch
• Covering / Finish: Black Ultrathane Paint
• Dimensions (DWH xbackW COM inches): 23.75 x18 x 38
• Dimensions (DWH xbackW COM cm): 60.3x45.7x96.5
• Weight (lbs/kg): 156/70.76

With all that said ... DJ'ing isn't easy and doing it for a long time is dedication to something you love, your living out a passion. I am offering my respect to you and simply seeking understanding in unknown areas of knowledge of sound and design (sound reinforcement.)

.... also, if you wish to share this, what sort of lighting would you recommend? ... here's what's available; my bride will be in a white dress, so I'm thinking a ultraviolet wash of blacklights.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/rentals/pa/0/21/37/#top-pagination-count

*** Those genres again:
house, breakbeat hardcore, jungle, drum n bass (1989-1995) ... too many artists to mention...
classic trance (techno, progressive, hard, acid) (1991-1998) ... too many artists to mention...
mojave/westcoast/chemical/funky desert breaks (1993-1997) ... too many artists to mention...
dub (1992-2018)...Plus 8/Probe(1990-1997)...London [filthy/hard] acid (1994-2018) techno ...

ambient house, ambient techno, ambient dub/dub techno,& psybient, psy dub (1991-2010)
[The Orb, Aphex Twin, Global Communication, Boards of Canada, Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Deepchord & Echospace]

trip hop/downtempo (instrmntl hip hop/mod classical/nu jazz) (2006-2010)
[Emancipator, Hidden Orchestra, Saltillo, Litttle People]

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 46
Given that you are in Toronto, and assuming that the event will be there or close by, there should be no shortage of sound rental houses that can recommend the right gear for the space and advise on acoustic issues.

Re the term "reverb", which I used, it is the same thing as Monsterzero's "sound waves bouncing off of all surfaces." It's the echo you hear when you go to a restaurant that is all hard surfaces. Lots of people in the space will help, but won't really address it, any more than lots of people in a restaurant addresses it. You may consciously decide that you don't care, or that it will be bearable. Ask the rental house, given the dimensions of the space and what the surfaces are made of, whether they think you need sound absorption panels and/or bass traps. I can tell you now that a square rather than rectangular space is not helpful to the acoustics.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 46
True. Toronto has no shortage of sound rental houses, but their all in the outskirts of the city. I need proximity as the event is right downtown and I need be reasonable to those helping me with the cargo. This one is right downtown and has a solid reputation. Why would I need to look elsewhere?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 46
First allow me to say I quit DJing back in 2005,so im def not up to speed on the latest and greatest gear. That being said I have never used powered gear,so I cant tell you one way or the other which is "better". Obviosly if the gear youre planning on using is powered then there is no need for outboard amps. The speakers and subs should have volume controls on them if theyre powered.

I played whatever music was required for that particular event,everything from deep trance to the Hora medley. That being said I preferred to play deep/psy/Goa trance.

However I can offer some thoughts on sound that are basically timeless....

If the place youre planning on renting from has multiple speaker choices ask them for warm sounding speakers. Once you start bumping up the volume the highs can get piercing,so warm speakers can minimize that issue.

You want your regular speakers at or near guest ear level. Bass bin/subs should be placed on the floor.

I have no idea what your source will be. For me I used a Pioneer DJ mixing board. I realize that these days of software programs that can beat mix for you,anyone can be a "DJ". If youre using one of these programs,disregard my suggestion of a decent board.

Lighting. I suggest a mix of regular flashing lights,lasers,strobes and black lights. Leaving any of them on for the entire party can result in fatigue and eventually you will lose the WOW factor.
I saw that you do not want a fog machine,but they really help the lighting pop.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 46
Re the term "reverb", which I used, it is the same thing as Monsterzero's "sound waves bouncing off of all surfaces." It's the echo you hear when you go to a restaurant that is all hard surfaces. Lots of people in the space will help, but won't really address it, any more than lots of people in a restaurant addresses it. You may consciously decide that you don't care, or that it will be terrible. Ask the rental house whether they think you need sound absorption panels and/or base traps.

That suggestion while pretty accurate might be a bit overkill for a one-off event. In the least you might consider at least a carpet(s) to cover the floor.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 46
True. Toronto has no shortage of sound rental houses, but their all in the outskirts of the city. I need proximity as the event is right downtown and I need be reasonable to those helping me with the cargo. This one is right downtown and has a solid reputation. Why would I need to look elsewhere?

If you're getting the gear from the venue, or even if it's coming from somewhere else, maybe ask the venue what they recommend. By now they should have good experience with what you need.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 46
Monsterzero. Thank's for the timeless advice. I am not sure if the speakers are warm or flat/cold. It's to my knowledge that speakers that use amps that are warm. Powered are cold/flat. That's been my experience by reference speakers. And, nope. I don't consider myself a true DJ by long shot! I use Serato and I use Mixed In Key. I don't use sync button though, I guess that's the only small feather in my cap. I am more of a musical archivist (as bad as that sounds!) through digging through discogs and rateyourmusic to broaden my knowledge.

I use a DDJ-SX [1] and Serato DJ Pro 32 bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back