Seperate DAC or Asus Xonar Essence ST
Mar 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tilpo

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to upgrade the source of my rig. Currently listening straight from my motherboard (not the worst sound for a motherboard, though)

Current rig:
GA-890GPA-UD3H > Little Dot MKIV SE > HD 650

What I wonder was whether it's better to buy a soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence ST) or a DAC. Taking in consideration both price and the fact that I would definitely profit from the gaming functions of the soundcard.
I would also like to know if it's a good idea to buy the Essence ST first and then buying a budget DAC of $100-200

Budget is $200-300, and I would love doing a DIY, given that it's not too fancy since my soldering skills are not that great.
Currently the gamma 2 seems like a nice DAC, if I were to build one, but I don't know it's price. And I will only do DIY if it's better given a certain price, if I get better/the same value for a professionally build amp I will not risk blowing up my money on a short-circuit.

As far as sound signature is concerned: I would like a more neutral sound, especially not too dark. A good soundstage would definitely be appreciated as well.

I don't necessarily need recommendations for specific units (would be nice for comparison), general advice will do just fine :wink:

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I want to upgrade the source of my rig. Currently listening straight from my motherboard (not the worst sound for a motherboard, though)

Current rig:
GA-890GPA-UD3H > Little Dot MKIV SE > HD 650

What I wonder was whether it's better to buy a soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence ST) or a DAC. Taking in consideration both price and the fact that I would definitely profit from the gaming functions of the soundcard.
I would also like to know if it's a good idea to buy the Essence ST first and then buying a budget DAC of $100-200

Budget is $200-300, and I would love doing a DIY, given that it's not too fancy since my soldering skills are not that great.
Currently the gamma 2 seems like a nice DAC, if I were to build one, but I don't know it's price. And I will only do DIY if it's better given a certain price, if I get better/the same value for a professionally build amp I will not risk blowing up my money on a short-circuit.

As far as sound signature is concerned: I would like a more neutral sound, especially not too dark. A good soundstage would definitely be appreciated as well.

I don't necessarily need recommendations for specific units (would be nice for comparison), general advice will do just fine
wink.gif

Thanks
biggrin.gif

It all comes down to if you like gaming or not, if you like gaming I would not hesitate one moment to take either the Essence ST or the new Sound Blaster Titanium HD. You'll get all the OpenAL surround effects and if you take the creative you get EAX as well (even though it seems to matter less and less). The difference in gaming sound will be substantial.

Also - these cards are amazing bargins in terms of audio performance. Rivaling some of the mid-level DACs out there.

However - if you don't plan on gaming at all you're probably better served by an external DAC and hooking it up to what you have, Hegel has just released a new entry level DAC called the HD2. It's been smashing the competion to pieces in several reviews so that might be interesting.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you TwoEars! I though so too, but I just wanted to check with you guys first.

Though I would like to know as well what the next improvement would be. That is, if I buy a dedicated DAC after the soundcard how much do I need to spend to get a substantial improvement? Note that I will replace the opamps, if that makes any difference.
And is it a better idea to hook up the DAC via my soundcard, or via my S/PDIF out on my motherboard? I imagine if I take the digital output of the soundcard I will have both the hi-fi DAC and the sound effects (which I turn of when listening to music).

I love gaming, but I listen a LOT to music as well watching a movie from time to time. So I find it worth to buy a separate DAC after I have the soundcard if it will make an audible difference.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
You could an Asus Xonar DX, (or cheaper DS or DG) and spend the rest for the DAC.
Some places are offering a mail in rebate (until end of March) for the DX, DS, DG and D1
( I use a DS myself).

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 5
I thought of that too, and it actually does seem like a cheaper idea. Especially since I won't be using the headphone amp of the Essence ST anyway.
If I were to do that I'd first do some research on the quality difference of both their gaming functions and on the potential jitter of the digital output.

Can always buy a DAC later. :D

So know I got that figured out; any suggestions on WHICH DAC to buy?

Edit: I decided to keep it cheap. I'm going to get a Asus Xonar DS and build me a y1 and later a y2 to accompany it.
I'm looking forward to this project :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back