Sensitive to electrical fields, headphone alternatives..
Apr 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

plums

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had some health issue and my doctor has told me that I may be sensitive to close quarter electrical fields. So things like mobile phones and of course headphones are not on. As a precaution it has also been suggested to me that I should, for the time being, remove all electrical devices from my immediate living space.

It has been something of an adjustment and have found myself looking to the past for inspiration, I was thinking about getting an old vinyl player with one of those horn things as the speaker but of course I am in the headphone forum for a reason, I have very limiting noise requirements.

I was thinking a little out of the box and however ridiculous it would look I am hoping that the same old tech could be retooled into headphone gear. Nothing stopping me from getting some kind of head apparatus and attaching a smaller horn to it. The main limitation I think would be finding a lengthy and more importantly flexible material that can allow the needle vibrations to flow into the head-mounted horn.

I mocked it up in mspaint before I realized these things are mono, duh.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 23
Perhaps Ultrasones would be perferable?

Ultrasone developed a special MU Metal shielding (ULE-technology) to reduce the radiation by up to 98% compared to current headphones. The ULE-technology has stood the test of international review and is recommended by technical surveillance organisations. Ultrasone originally developed the ULE-technology for professionals as they do spend half of their lives in headphones. But due to grand requests the ULE-technology has now been integrated in other Ultrasone headphone lines.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 23
Electromagnetic sensitivity is not accepted by the medical community as a valid condition. If your doctor diagnosed you with this "condition", you need to find a new doctor, so you can receive medical attention for whatever is causing your illness.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 23
Your post needs more sarcasm to be an effective April Fools joke.

Not "health issues", rather "severe migraines and explosive diarrhea".

Not "sensitive" to close quarter electrical fields, rather "fatally allergic".

It may have also been helpful for you to pretend you had already gone through with the DIY assembly of that monstrosity, and you could have posted your infinitely positive impressions. Would have got the analog lovers here up in a tizzy, for sure.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by plums /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on guys, I can't believe the picture wasn't a big ridiculous huge giveaway. Oh yeah and the date!

Looks like I was little too convincing.

In my defense, I read the post on April 2nd.
wink.gif

I think I was also ready to believe your post because I just watched several episodes of Penn & Teller's show the other day, including the one on New Age Medicine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electromagnetic sensitivity is not accepted by the medical community as a valid condition. If your doctor diagnosed you with this "condition", you need to find a new doctor, so you can receive medical attention for whatever is causing your illness.

I disagree. There are many highly competent MDs these days that are called "integrative medicine" practitioners, because they integrate eastern and western medicine to offer the patient a much more worldly and alternative perspective. There are many medical conditions that "slip through the cracks" of conventional western medicine. The usual path is to get an M.D., while also training to become a acupuncturist/Chinese medicine and herbology practitioner.

I would congratulate the OP for finding one of these doctors that is willing to open his mind (and his practice) to this approach, which is also much more focused on proactive prevention strategies, rather than just reactive treatment of disease. This "integrative" approach reduces suffering and saves money more often than not, and insurance companies are more willing than ever before to explore these and other alternatives to conventional western medicine.

These "integrative medicine" practitioners are giving their patients the best care possible, by treating them with an integration of both eastern and western medical "worlds". This is considered an "alternative" approach by many, but will become the standard soon, as the US tries to reign in runaway medical care costs.

And this is no joke, even if the OP was
bigsmile_face.gif

Here is a link to a highly-respected integrative M.D. talking about this exact issue, and upcoming related legislation:
When you use a cell phone what percentage of the energy emitted from the antenna is absorbed into your head?

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 23
But, the problem is that most of Eastern medicine is pseudoscience, and when you mix science with pseudoscience, you get just plain pseudoscience.

I think if parts of Eastern medicine were scientifically valid, they would already be integrated into Western medicine.

I'm not discounting the holistic effects of Eastern medicine. Some issues can be rendered completely insignificant with relaxation techniques and peace of mind, which is provided by Eastern practices such as acupuncture.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. There are many highly competent MDs these days that are called "integrative medicine" practitioners, because they integrate eastern and western medicine to offer the patient a much more worldly and alternative perspective. There are many medical conditions that "slip through the cracks" of conventional western medicine. The usual path is to get an M.D., while also training to become a acupuncturist/Chinese medicine and herbology practitioner.

I would congratulate the OP for finding one of these doctors that is willing to open his mind (and his practice) to this approach, which is also much more focused on proactive prevention strategies, rather than just reactive treatment of disease. This "integrative" approach reduces suffering and saves money more often than not, and insurance companies are more willing than ever before to explore these and other alternatives to conventional western medicine.

These "integrative medicine" practitioners are giving their patients the best care possible, by treating them with an integration of both eastern and western medical "worlds". This is considered an "alternative" approach by many, but will become the standard soon, as the US tries to reign in runaway medical care costs.

And this is no joke, even if the OP was
bigsmile_face.gif

Here is a link to a highly-respected integrative M.D. talking about this exact issue, and upcoming related legislation:
When you use a cell phone what percentage of the energy emitted from the antenna is absorbed into your head?

First point: insurance companies are quick to jump on alternative treatments because of the placebo effect. If there was no injury that needs to be treated, they can "cure" someone's sore knee by giving them acupuncture treatment, and they'll save money over paying for physical therapy.

Second, regarding Dr. Mercola, I'm skeptical of someone who conducts a medical "study", and decides to sell a product based on their findings, rather than submitting to the study to a peer-reviewed academic journal. I also know that San Francisco is all too willing to pass legislation on any subject that's popular, without actually having any facts on the subject.

Lastly, electromagnetic fields have never been shown to have a health effect on humans. Dr. Mercola even says this, but then he adds "But you want to be safe just in case, don't you?" in order to sell his product.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post needs more sarcasm to be an effective April Fools joke.

Not "health issues", rather "severe migraines and explosive diarrhea".

Not "sensitive" to close quarter electrical fields, rather "fatally allergic".

It may have also been helpful for you to pretend you had already gone through with the DIY assembly of that monstrosity, and you could have posted your infinitely positive impressions. Would have got the analog lovers here up in a tizzy, for sure.

Maybe an obvious one. There had to be an element of believability with a hint of the ridiculous.

As for reality, I believe it is already known that electrical, magnetic fields and even wireless transmissions have a biological effect. But it is dependent on its strength and whether it can even permeate a developed humans skin.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soaa- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, the problem is that most of Eastern medicine is pseudoscience, and when you mix science with pseudoscience, you get just plain pseudoscience.

I'm not discounting the holistic effects of Eastern medicine. Some issues can be rendered completely insignificant with relaxation techniques and peace of mind, which is provided by Eastern practices such as acupuncture.

A couple of examples of areas where alternative medicine produces superior results:

1. In Italy, 90% of the people who develop tonsillitis just get a colonic, and keep their tonsils, and have greater stamina historically than those who get their tonsils removed; the inverse of this is happening in other western countries. After tonsil removal became standard practice in all the other western countries, England had to import Italian coal miners back in the days before labor laws to work the long hours required to keep the country warm, as no one else had the stamina.

2. In the U.S., over 75% of males eventually develop an inguinal hernia, requiring surgical repair. In China, less than five percent require this surgery because they use an herb called "Hawthornia" therapeutically instead; there are many more examples like these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pseudoscience is when people argue with generalizations. Anyway, this is a headphone forum, leave the health discussion off it.

This thread has nothing to do with headphones; it never did as it was posted as a "joke" about EMF sensitivity. Now I am just trying to answer some criticism, as there is a lot of misinformation posted here.

I have faith in the eastern systems of medical care, mainly because it evolved over thousands of years of sophisticated trial and error. In the meantime, western medicine has gone from "sawbones and leeches" to a more science-based methodology in under 100 years. And leeches are making a comeback.

Without going into details, I have solved a few medical conditions of my own that "conventional" western medicine has been unable (or unwilling), to solve. Chinese medicine, Indian ayurvedic medicine, chiropractic, aromatherapy, and homeopathy may not be for everyone or for every condition, but they are are helping many people (even in the U.S.), and patients that go this route are extremely satisfied with the results more often than not.

Look out USA, the world is here, and you don't know everything
tongue_smile.gif

Medical Racket (Paperback): How Doctors, HMOs, and Hospitals are failing the American Patient

Heart Frauds: Uncovering the Biggest Health Scam in History

Cancer is a Fungus: A Revolution in Tumor Therapy

Belief Reinforcement: When an individual is confronted with evidence that contradicts his or her beliefs, actually becomes even more committed to the false paradigm in question.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leeches are making a comeback? I thought they just evolved into politicians.

Hey, no politics allowed at Head-fi!
wink.gif

Google search: leeches in medicine

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 23
Oh noes you gotta stay away form electric fields...better stay away from sources of light and heat then.
better take a coat, -273.15ºC is freakin' cold.

Seriously you're a fool if you believe your so called "doctor" he has no idea what hes on about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back