Sensitive to electrical fields, headphone alternatives..
Apr 3, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pseudoscience is when people argue with generalizations. Anyway, this is a headphone forum, leave the health discussion off it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leeches are making a comeback? I thought they just evolved into politicians.

oh..the irony

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by almasy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh noes you gotta stay away form electric fields...better stay away from sources of light and heat then.
better take a coat, -273.15ºC is freakin' cold.

Seriously you're a fool if you believe your so called "doctor" he has no idea what hes on about.

What are you talking about? Do you have anything intelligent to say?

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about? Do you have anything intelligent to say?

I think the joke is that light and heat are both part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the joke is that light and heat are both part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

It just seems like a very flippant reply to all of the information I presented, with a personal attack on myself, and "my doctor" thrown in as well.

If it's a joke I don't get it, and I don't appreciate personal insults either, even if they happen to come from a place of total ignorance
mad.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #20 of 23
29059370944d02f14e3f452.jpg

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electromagnetic sensitivity is not accepted by the medical community as a valid condition. If your doctor diagnosed you with this "condition", you need to find a new doctor, so you can receive medical attention for whatever is causing your illness.

You should read the large article in last months (or maybe it was 2 months ago) Discover magazine. It was very interesting.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. There are many highly competent MDs these days that are called "integrative medicine" practitioners, because they integrate eastern and western medicine to offer the patient a much more worldly and alternative perspective. There are many medical conditions that "slip through the cracks" of conventional western medicine. The usual path is to get an M.D., while also training to become a acupuncturist/Chinese medicine and herbology practitioner.

I would congratulate the OP for finding one of these doctors that is willing to open his mind (and his practice) to this approach, which is also much more focused on proactive prevention strategies, rather than just reactive treatment of disease. This "integrative" approach reduces suffering and saves money more often than not, and insurance companies are more willing than ever before to explore these and other alternatives to conventional western medicine.

These "integrative medicine" practitioners are giving their patients the best care possible, by treating them with an integration of both eastern and western medical "worlds". This is considered an "alternative" approach by many, but will become the standard soon, as the US tries to reign in runaway medical care costs.

And this is no joke, even if the OP was
bigsmile_face.gif

Here is a link to a highly-respected integrative M.D. talking about this exact issue, and upcoming related legislation:
When you use a cell phone what percentage of the energy emitted from the antenna is absorbed into your head?

Integrative medicine using things like acupuncture can be legitimate. Stuff like electromagnetic (non-ionizing) radiation causing mystery health problems is not. Dr. Mercola is *NOT* an M.D.. He an Osteopathic Doctor, and frankly he makes D.O.'s look bad. There are plenty of good D.O.'s mind you but this guy pretty much just makes total nonsense up and even people in the alternative medicine community consider him a quack.

I mean really, he even bought this website just to proclaim how not a quack he is Is Dr. Mercola Really a Quack? | Dr. Mercola Quack Info
On which he proclaims why he isn't a quack-it's because he has millions of hits to his website and newsletter subscribers and has been interviewed in lots of magazines. Surely he cannot be a quack if his website gets lots of hits!
Oh and because the UK courts sided with the makers of Splenda that he was full of crap apparently England is now a backwards country according to him. Quote:

Well, I published the book and they didn’t sue me because everything in the book was true. Unfortunately, they were able to prevent anyone in England from viewing the content on my website. You see England in many ways has a very backward legal system, and big corporations are able to manipulate it to their advantage.

I mean surely this is proof that he is not a quack, lol.

At any rate I think the people on this forum had some good points about why he's a total quack:
Dr. Mirkin's Fitness and Health Forum: Mercola vs. Mirkin
I don't know much about Dr. Mirkin and I'm not vouching for him but I'm just saying that people on that forum point out that Mercola is always trying to sell you something. I mean you go to his website and he's trying to sell you fish oil, what appears to be personal training sessions, and an "Amazing Heart Health Booster". Don't get me wrong, I think fish oil and working out are great but this guy's website is like a horrible infomercial. I mean he's even pushing COOKWARE:
Cookware - Mercola Healthy Cook Ware

I'm sure if he sees this thread the next thing you know his website will be warning us about the dangers of high EMF headphones and telling you to buy his special magnetically shielded headphones
beyersmile.png

Seriously look at all the things he's selling that the FDA had to repeatedly tell him to stop making ridiculous claims for:
FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

It's one thing to say that fish oil is good for you, but another thing entirely to be a quack that's out there claiming that you'll "virtually eliminate" your risk of getting cancer if you buy some crappy supplements from him.

And just to add insult to his quackery, his products suck and probably poison you worse:
Anyone tried Mercola's enamel cast iron cookware? - Cookware - Chowhound
"I got Mercola's enamel coated cast iron set last year for Christmas. It sucks. It rusts pretty quick. Worse yet, I just put a roast in the oval cooker in the oven. The lid started to melt @350. My house smells like toxic plastic waste. Shouldn't that have been part of the testing--to put the LID IN AN OVEN AND TURN IT UP TO THE TEMPERATURE AT WHICH EVERY BODY COOKS AT HOME?!"

Seriously D.O.'s need to stop this guy before he ruins their legitimacy with his quackery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should read the large article in last months (or maybe it was 2 months ago) Discover magazine. It was very interesting.

Listening to health advice from mass-media sources is just not a good idea. Most of the time they over-hype and exaggerate things or purposely write really inflammatory stuff to get people to buy. Nobody's going to read articles that say "diet and exercise best way to keep healthy", lol. It's always about some exaggerated discovery or another that's the new magic cure because that's more exciting to read.
An article I read a little while ago pretty much had the author purposely choosing a super inflammatory claim for her article-claiming that it's better to not breastfeed. Because apparently breastfeeding is a conspiracy by pediatricians to keep women down in society (no, this really was her claim) and then she supported her position by quoting very questionable claims from a "researcher" she proclaimed to be an expert on the health effects of not breastfeeding even though the guy was not a physician-rather unlike the physicians who actually see sick kids in the hospital. Then she proceeded to misquote/distort what M.D.'s said-which I only know because the M.D.'s were pretty unhappy about the way they were misrepresented. Of course at the end of the article you find out she still breastfeeds her kid. Basically, she wrote the article knowing it'd be insanely inflammatory on purpose. Reading that kinda thing made me ashamed to have shared an alma mater with the writer.
Mind you, I'm not saying that all health articles seen in regular magazines are nonsense but a huge amount of them are-and even when they're reporting legitimate things they heavily exaggerate. About the only thing that people should be legitimately getting kind of excited about is probably vitamin D since there's now a large amount of research that's suggesting quite a benefit. And with that a legitimate doctor will usually tell you not to go overboard since you might end up finding out it's another Vitamin E fiasco (where they later found after actually supplementing people for a while that it didn't help and actually led to slightly higher death rates). A real doctor will tell you to make sure you're not deficient by taking 1000-2000IUs a day (some cardiologists will suggest slightly higher but they tend to have a higher risk population).
Someone like Mercola though will unsurprisingly suggest whatever he can sell you, thus leading to his totally unneccessary 5000IU recommendation and amounts for various ages that appear to have been pulled out of his butt-seriously what is his basis for suggesting any of these doses? Did he do a study on thousands of kids with various levels of supplementation then draw their blood to see what blood level of vitamin D they had? Of course not, he pulled these numbers out of his imagination to sell you more Vitamin D.
Vitamin D Resource Page | Resources for More Information on Vitamin D
Of course to cover his butt legally there's this HILARIOUS warning right below his made up numbers:
Quote:

WARNING:
There is no way to know if the above recommendations are correct. The ONLY way to know is to test your blood. You might need 4-5 times the amount recommended above. Ideally your blood level of 25 OH D should be 60ng/ml.

About the only true thing in that chart is the sentence in his warning that there's no way of knowing his totally made up numbers are right. Oh and his video's ridiculous claims that everyone else is trying to hide the benefits of Vitamin D are totally nonsensical when most legitimate medical organizations recommend vitamin D supplementation-they just don't make insane claims like he does but if you listen to his video you'd think the American Cancer Society was out there trying to stop people from taking Vitamin D so more people will have cancer when their real position is just that it the evidence seems to suggest it helps but isn't super conclusive yet so they won't make an official recommendation because they can't yet:
ACS :: Can Vitamin D Prevent Cancer?
Does that sound like they're trying to hide the benefits like Mercola claims in his video? I mean they basically tell you that there's likely benefits to Vitamin D and to talk to your doctor about it if you wanna take it, but not to go over 2000IU to be safe (your real doctor can prescribe higher doses if your blood test shows that you're deficient, then once you have sufficient vitamin D you shouldn't go over 2000IU).
Mercola on the other hand pretty much makes up numbers by himself, and from what I can tell he's basically chosen the highest dose he could get away with telling you to take without being sued for causing hypercalcemia. Based on zero evidence that his recommendations make any sense whatsoever.

Not that it would matter, because even when he cites research he doesn't really care what it says. Here he cites research that shows that his supplement doesn't work to sell you his supplement:
Mercola---still lying after all these years : denialism blog
Presumably he's just figuring that you won't actually carefully read the stuff he cites.

Pretty funny to see that he's stopping people from applying to D.O. schools with his quackery too since a commenter there writes: "Joe Mercola is the leading reason I decided against applying to osteopathic medical school. I couldn't deal being in the same profession as a flagrant shill like him. I don't throw the shill card around lightly since I am often accused of being one. But if there ever was a shill that shilled, it would be Mercola."

Doctors get accused of shilling for pharmaceutical companies all the time (seriously I've heard some really hilarious conspiracies), and frankly some MDs are biased by their affiliations with pharmaceutical companies even when they believe they're not, but Mercola is just plain blatant with his shilling...but for some bizarre reason people seem to believe this loon just because he's out there railing against everyone else. Whatever, it's your money so I guess if you want to go buy his magical supplements that cost more than elsewhere and his shoddy but expensive cookware so you can "detox" yourself you can go ahead. Or you could save all that money and go with legitimate medical advice. One of my own interests happens to be herbal/chinese medicine and acupuncture, but I wouldn't make crazy claims about it (which unfortunately I see supplement companies doing all the time-they seem to make up new uses and health benefits for real herbal remedies all the time). Those herbal remedies work because there's some kind of chemical in there, not by some mumbo jumbo nonsense. If anything herbal remedies and supplements have more toxins than pills made by pharmaceutical companies since plants uptake all kinds of stuff from the soil including heavy metals-but of course I don't have some nonsensical belief about toxins like Mercola does. For one thing a legitimate doctor would know that "toxins" can be good for you.

Anyways I'm way off topic but seriously, Mercola is a huge friggin' quack. Taking the stuff he recommends probably won't kill you but the real danger is that you start ignoring real health advice because you believe his ridiculous claims. Kinda like when Steve Jobs actually put off surgery for his pancreatic cancer because he thought he could find some kinda alternative option-it pretty much put him at much greater risk of the cancer spreading and frankly he might have been able to avoid his current situation (he likely needed a liver transplant due to liver mets) if he had just counted his lucky stars and gotten his whipple done ASAP back then instead of going on some wild goose chase.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekdemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr. Mercola is *NOT* an M.D. He an Osteopathic Doctor.

The fact is that both DOs and MDs are fully qualified physicians in every way, licensed to prescribe medication and perform surgery, and they have the same amount of education and residency requirements.

Quote:

I'm sure if he sees this thread the next thing you know his website will be warning us about the dangers of high EMF headphones and telling you to buy his special magnetically shielded headphones

I wonder if he would approve of the shielded Ultrasones, lol; they would probably love his endorsement.

As far as the cookware goes, there are many more people singing its praises than the few that don't use it correctly and then complain about it. I could quote some of the many satisfied customers, but then what would be the point. I wouldn't be surprised if the lid in question had "do not put in the oven" written right on it. Porcelainized cast iron is a very good, non-reactive way to cook (Le Creuset, Descoware), but if it rusted it must have had a defective coating of porcelain. Many people swear by non-coated cast iron, which has to be well-seasoned and dried on a hot stove to keep it from rusting.

Quote:

Listening to health advice from mass-media sources is just not a good idea. Most of the time they over-hype and exaggerate things or purposely write really inflammatory stuff to get people to buy. Nobody's going to read articles that say "diet and exercise best way to keep healthy", lol. It's always about some exaggerated discovery or another that's the new magic cure because that's more exciting to read.

Mercola is just providing cutting edge research to those that want the information, as there is more and more research and discoveries daily that point out how much more we still have to learn about medicine. There are many people that have problems with the more reactive kinds of cookware for example, and it's becoming common knowledge that at least half of the U.S. population is deficient in vitamin D these days.

I know a couple of well-respected integrative MDs that regularly administer vitamin D shots after testing for deficiencies, and prescribe capsules with anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 IU's of D each day. The FDA's campaigns against vitamin C, and vitamin E in the more recent past, are grossly outdated and misleading, but they put them out there to keep us confused as healthy people are just not very profitable. These are just anti-oxidants, which neutralize free radicals in the body; many of the FDA's cited "studies" have been well refuted, especially the vitamin C/E ones.

But to each his own; there's a lot of people that dispute climate change as well, even as entire coastal villages are having to be more frequently re-located to avoid facing inundation.

Quote:

An article I read a little while ago pretty much had the author purposely choosing a super inflammatory claim for her article-claiming that it's better to not breastfeed. Because apparently breastfeeding is a conspiracy by pediatricians to keep women down in society (no, this really was her claim) and then she supported her position by quoting very questionable claims from a "researcher" she proclaimed to be an expert on the health effects of not breastfeeding even though the guy was not a physician-rather unlike the physicians who actually see sick kids in the hospital. Then she proceeded to misquote/distort what M.D.'s said-which I only know because the M.D.'s were pretty unhappy about the way they were misrepresented. Of course at the end of the article you find out she still breastfeeds her kid.

I'm not sure where you are going with that one in regards to Dr. Mercola; he certainly supports breastfeeding. He believes that breast milk from mom is the only milk that we should drink unless it is raw, organic and from a grass-fed cow or goat (as opposed to ultra-pasteurized, genetically "enhanced" bovine mucous), but it is only actually necessary in the earliest developmental stages of human life. There are many healthier sources of calcium besides milk.

I still eat cheese and ice cream, but when I stopped drinking milk as a beverage and switched to a non-dairy alternative on my cereal my hay fever went away completely. It had been quite acute in the past, developing into sinusitus at one point.

Quote:

a legitimate doctor will usually tell you not to go overboard since you might end up finding out it's another Vitamin E fiasco (where they later found after actually supplementing people for a while that it didn't help and actually led to slightly higher death rates). A real doctor will tell you to make sure you're not deficient by taking 1000-2000IUs a day (some cardiologists will suggest slightly higher but they tend to have a higher risk population).
Someone like Mercola though will unsurprisingly suggest whatever he can sell you, thus leading to his totally unneccessary 5000IU recommendation and amounts for various ages that appear to have been pulled out of his butt-seriously what is his basis for suggesting any of these doses?
Of course not, he pulled these numbers out of his imagination to sell you more Vitamin D.
Mercola ... pretty much makes up numbers by himself

Now you're just making stuff up. I saw an MD on FOX news recommend 50,000 IU of D a day for two weeks for back pain, followed by 10,000 daily after that. This guy is a full MD, (summa cume laude), plus certified in Chinese medicine. I'm sure that FOX ran it by their lawyers first, that's what they do. It would take at least two months for a healthy adult to develop toxicity from a sustained oral intake of 50,000 IU, according to the conservative information cited in Wikipedia.

Dr. Mercola's disclaimer on vitamin D is just that, because if you get injections without testing your levels first, you could get very sick and actually die. But it is virtually impossible to overdue it with the oral supplements, primarily because of the absorption rate of D3. Of course not all doctors agree, but medicine is continuing to evolve even without many of these dodos and anyone can cite many different opinions.

Cancer treatment is very profitable, and healthy people are not. There is quite a bit of scientific criticism of the American Cancer Society, the AMA, and the American Heart Association, and "medical tourism" is rising very quickly from the U.S. as people seek out less profit-driven "care", such as the highly-successful Gerson cancer clinic in Mexico.

Quote:

Mercola on the other hand pretty much makes up numbers by himself

You keep repeating this sentiment, but the truth is that more studies agree with him these days than those that don't. Less than 20% of practicing physicians are even members of the AMA at this point because of the AMA's bias against anything that threatens institutional profits.

I doubt you would quote anyone that has been actually inspired to study osteopathy by Dr. Mercola, but they are definitely out there, just check out those reader comments. You can easily comment there as well, you won't be censored, but you will be corrected by the other readers in a similar way to if you were attempting to promote Skull Candies or Bose in a forum here. Give it a try!

Quote:

Mercola is a huge friggin' quack. Taking the stuff he recommends probably won't kill you but the real danger is that you start ignoring real health advice because you believe his ridiculous claims. Kinda like when Steve Jobs actually put off surgery for his pancreatic cancer because he thought he could find some kinda alternative option

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most deadly types of cancer, and Steve Jobs beat it. There are many alternative cancer clinics that help beat the cancer into submission before surgery so it has a higher chance of success.

Quote:

a legitimate doctor would know that "toxins" can be good for you.

Like the conventional chemotherapy that caused Job's liver to fail completely?

Or excess vitamin D perhaps?

Examples of where free radicals are good for you please.

But I do agree that most conventional as well as some alternative medicines are toxic in the wrong quantities, while being therapeutic when administered correctly.

How about mercury toxicity, where the ADA recently had to actually overrule their own corrupt committee's relatively recent findings, that found mercury anagrams "totally safe". They couldn't suppress the science any longer, as Federal agencies were already publishing warnings about mercury ingestion.

As far as Dr. Mercola goes, nobody is forcing anyone to buy his products, and I do not with the exception of some energy bars once. They were very good, if a bit expensive. Are you against him selling merchandise? Then don't buy any, it's that simple. But he wouldn't be able to do it if it wasn't profitable, and it wouldn't be profitable if he was full of cr@p. People buy his stuff because they trust his advice, even if you do not.

If you scroll down and read the comments section below any of Mercola's articles, which are usually just citing the research results of others, there are many people out there who are very grateful for the information, myself included. There is a huge, conspiratorial campaign against him, precisely because he is so successful in reaching and helping so many people. This in turn threatens the profits of many financially powerful institutions that do not benefit from the progression of medical science. There are many others promoting the same things, but Mercola has been targeted for persecution because he is better at disseminating this helpful information than anyone else.

Quote:

Seriously look at all the things he's selling that the FDA had to repeatedly tell him to stop making ridiculous claims for:

If there were any basis at all to any of the claims against him, he would be actually censored, and lose his license to practice medicine. But there isn't, and the FDA letters are just scare tactics. His many enemies have to resort to a massive disinformation and counterintelligence campaign against him. Reminds me of the tobacco companies and their "medical research" sometimes.

You seem quite passionate about promoting these disinformation campaigns against Dr. Mercola. I'm not sure what you degree is in, or what your agenda is, but I will continue to value his advice over yours as it almost always agrees with the advice of the MDs that I have sought out for myself in the real world. I have also gone to MDs that do not keep up with current developments, as they figure they learned everything they need to know in medical school 20-30 years ago and would frankly rather use their spare time to read the classics, or pursue other hobbies. It's only the true healers that are not satisfied with the status quo, as it leaves much to be desired even if it makes a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back