Sensitive hearing in the morning
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jon Sonne

Member of the Trade: Lucky Ears
Hi science peeps,

I have noticed that in the morning, I cannot listen to music at loud volumes on my headphones. Actually, I can only listen to music at very low volume levels. I have tried to use different headphones, but it makes no difference. And it is not only music that I am sensitive to in the morning, if people talk too loud it can also irritate my ears. In the evening, I have no problems at all with high volume music. I have had this "problem" since I can remember.

Is this normal? Have you experienced something similar?

Cheers

/LuckyEars

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 9
That's usually a symptom of being hung over. You might want to have it checked by an actual doctor, provided you aren't perpetually drunk. Even if you have a drink or two before bedtime that shouldn't have any effects in the morning, so you might want to get your liver checked if you do (since you may not be metabolizing the alcohol properly).

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 9
another way to see it might just be that you spend the day in a noisy environment so your brain/ears adapt to the ambient and loud noises to become less sensitive on purpose. so now when you listen to your music you will need higher volume to get where you want.
in the morning you hopefully slept in a relatively calm room, so when you wake up you're back to full performance hearing level, and obviously more sensitive to loud stuff.

I think the perfect example of this is when you get into your car in the morning and the radio is still super loud because it was matching the noise of the engine+wind+road when you came home last night. could it be something like that you're describing?

I have a problem with people talking loud in the morning when I just wake up, but that's just because I want to through stuff at them. I don't think it has anything to do with hearing ^_^.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

That's usually a symptom of being hung over. You might want to have it checked by an actual doctor, provided you aren't perpetually drunk. Even if you have a drink or two before bedtime that shouldn't have any effects in the morning, so you might want to get your liver checked if you do (since you may not be metabolizing the alcohol properly).

Hehe, I hope you are kidding me
wink.gif
 I have been sensitive in the morning since I was 5 maybe, so I don't think it has anything to do with alcohol. Thanks for the answer anyway 
smile.gif

I think the perfect example of this is when you get into your car in the morning and the radio is still super loud because it was matching the noise of the engine+wind+road when you came home last night. could it be something like that you're describing?

I have a problem with people talking loud in the morning when I just wake up, but that's just because I want to through stuff at them. I don't think it has anything to do with hearing ^_^.

I wish it was like this... but it is not the same. I mostly listen to music in quiet environments and I still have to turn the volume down to very low levels when I wake up. It is especially the treble that I cannot handle. I wish I could turn the music up, since I enjoy the music more at louder volumes (obviously, most people do).

However, I do have the other problem you mention with wanting to throw stuff at people who are being loud in the morning
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Agreed. Some people seem completely unaware of themselves in this regard. I also feel this way about people who listen to music incredibly loudly.

I usually listen to music through in-ear buds when I'm going to sleep and when I wake up in the morning. I've found that my ears aren't sensitive, but music does sound different in the morning. A song that I've heard a thousand times can be completely different in terms of sound design, almost like listening through a new piece of kit.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 9
I am the same way. Maybe not as extreme as you but I listen to music at much lower volumes in the morning. For reference: I am also not a habitual drunk. ;D

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 9
  Perhaps research a bit on hyperacusis.  Seems to fit the symptoms you describe.

I read the description of hyperacusis. It fits me pretty well. I also had some ear infections when I was a kid, which might explain why I got it. Still, it is not constant, I only have it in the morning
  I am the same way. Maybe not as extreme as you but I listen to music at much lower volumes in the morning. For reference: I am also not a habitual drunk. ;D

Interesting. Do you also find the treble to be the most annoying part of the music? And do you listen to music in a quiet environment? 

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 9

Interesting. Do you also find the treble to be the most annoying part of the music? And do you listen to music in a quiet environment? 

Yes and Yes. I use HD280s so almost any environment is a quiet environment. I never payed it much attention. Some things on my body work better at night and others better in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back