Senns, Grado, Beyer... Which models to demo?
Sep 29, 2004 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RockysDad

Head-Fier
I'd like get a few more sets of phones to try and determine what type of sound I would enjoy the most. Therefore, I am asking which model numbers of each vendor listed would give me a signature sound of the brands they represent. In other words, I would like to know what the Grados are known for. Example: would the SR-60 better represent the Grado sound vs. MS-1 or SR-125? I want to join more teams; right now I'm on team
eggosmile.gif

Some background... I now own a Koss PortaPro and the D-66 and know what they sound like. I like them both very much. Listening is 70% portable with a CMoy and 30% with a home system. I do like deep well defined bass, clear realistic mids especially vocals, and extended highs that are not harsh. Open or closed cans do not matter. Pricing should be <$100 used and easy to sell if I don't like it.

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi RockysDad,

Given your pricing limitations and desire for "resellability", I might suggest the Sennheiser HD497s as probably the best representative of the Senn sound at under $100.

The Sennheiser HD280-Pro is another sub-$100 headphone that is, in humble opinion, a very good phone after burn-in (which it really needs). However, I do not believe it to be as representative of the higher end Senn's as much as the 497s. This probably owes much to the fact that Senn's two best pedigrees, 580/600/650 and 555/595 are both open. I own both the 280s and 497s and am reasonably familiar with the 580s.

Perhaps others can give advice about the Beyers. I have a pair of DT770s, and they are wonderful (should be at $150-200), but they are probably not as representative of the Beyer line as the 880s or 990s are. Still, I would recommend them without reservation, though they probably don't have the midrange you'd like but do have the bass and treble in spades (sort of like putting an EQ into a "V" formation, i.e. raise bass, raise, treble, drop mid-range slightly).

Still, seriously consider the Senn 497s for a sub-$100 headphones, representative of the signature Sennheiser sound, and with the sonic characteristics you seem to seek.

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 12
My suggestions based on experience:

For Grados, go for the SR-60s. Simply fantastic phones for <$100. IF you go for an amp, try the 80s. IMO, the 125s are too bright, and not worth the price difference. You can find these in the Bay Area at local Cambridge soundworks (Van Ness, Berkeley) and SF Stereo (SF, Berkeley, Walnut Creek)

For Beyers, I really like the DT-231, which can be found at headroom, one of this site's sponsors, which does have a return policy. I think it goes for $69.

good luck!

Sep 30, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 12
my two cents on Grados are stay away from SR-125, and SR-80 does not need an amp, ever, but like any headphone, benefits from one.
I owned all three and I'd say SR-80 is the best of the bunch

Sep 30, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 12
I liked the 125 better than the 60.

Try the 580. It's the happiest I've ever been with a purchase.

Sep 30, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Don't forget the AKG K240 Studio... arguably the best sub $100 headphone out there.
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Right now I am not looking for the best sound. All I want to do is try all the different flavors each manufactures and wanted to know what are the best representatives of each. Once I figure that out then I will pusue its higher end model. Right now there are too many brands and models and trying them all is next to imposssible. Therefore, I am trying to limit my search by this process of elimination.

So with that said, heres what I have so far.

Senns ---> HD497
Beyer ---> DT231
Grado ---> MS1
AKG -----> K240

This looks reasonable. I'm not sure what each will cost but its a start. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any other cadidates to tryout?

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 12
RockysDad: Problem is that for most of the bigger manufacturers (like AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Sony...) there is no real "house sound"/constant sonic signature to be found, because they offer (too) many headphones/headphone series in more or less different sonic flavours.

Nevertheless, my recommendations would be the Creative HQ-1300, the Philips HP890, the AKG K240S and, as the DT531 is discontinued, the Beyerdynamic DT440.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 12
i have to say, if you can grab a SR225 for $150 used, that should be more indicative of the "Grado House Sound" than the MS-1, which is $99 and a bargain at that price for introducing Alessandro's twist on the Grado sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back