Senn's 600 Pad's?
Nov 1, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
i'd like to chime in on this one. i think the pads (and how worn they are) make a considerable difference in sound. i remember when i put replacement pads on my HD580s -- everything became clearer and more detailed, and the sound was less warm.

when i compared the HD580s vs. HD600s at the headroom show, they were basically the same headphone to me. the HD580 was 95% of the HD600. if you compare your 5-year-old HD580s to brand new HD600s, it's understandable that you'd hear a difference -- but perhaps most of the difference is the result of old vs. new ear pads.

I'd have to say that I agree with Arnett on this one. I have heard both and think that with the stock cable, the 600s sound a little more balanced. With the Equinox cable, the 580s to me (which I own) sound great, and maybe a tad better than the 600s with the stock cable (I haven't been able to test the 600s with the Equinox yet). But when I replaced the pads on my 580s, the sound improvement--in detail, treble, precision--was noticable and significant. It made a HUGE difference in the sound.

Oh yeah, and just pull firmly but without alot of torque on the pads and they will come off. I didn't like the senns without the little foam layer across the grill. Too harsh for me.

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #32 of 60
Well, I finally got the nerve to give the pads a good pull. Cool, no disaster, the pads just came off, and I took the covering out. Pads snapped right back in, no prob at all. Now, this is a early assesment. I've only listened to 3 factory cd's. 2 country rock, and Neil Young's Freedom. Within about 3-4 mins of listening, I felt this was a push in the right direction for the sound I want. I was rather amazed. It made a pronounced diffrence in the sound. Bass was tightened up, noticiably snappier. The highs were more, whats the word--raw?. But to me, this is ok, a part of rock. I think this is what the Grado's aim for, only too much. The system I have now is middle road I guess, at least the reciever. Its a Harmon Kardon AVR 120. Home Theater--surround sound. The speakers are HK too--but home theater speakers---great for movies, not so good for music--thats why the headphones. My CD player is as cheap as they get--a Apex AD1500. With home systems in the past, I would always take the grill's of my speakers. Some felt I was a bit bonker's, but I always felt I could hear a diffrence in the sound. So I guess if thats what I felt, thats what counted. I totally believe in psycoacustics. I guess now I'm wondering if with the above equipment, going with diffrent cables would make a futher diffrence, and if so--which ones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by D-Audi
The next question you must ask yourself is - why is the retail on the HD600's ~$200 more??? Hmmmmmm........

Well in the real world, actual street prices are much closer, typically within $70 of each other. After, visiting the World of Headphones tour, I bought the 600s even though they are sonically very similar to the 580s and I believe that they use the same drivers. To me it was worth it to get headphones that look much nicer and that come with a nice sturdy foam lined flip-up box to store them in. It has been a long time since I was a starving student, and since I plan to have and use these phones for a very long time, the difference in cost was not very significant. If I were on a budget, I would not hesitate to buy the 580s. If I were REALLY a starving student, I would buy a pair of KSC-35s and shut my mouth until I had a real job!

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #34 of 60
lodo,

You are getting there!

Bifcake,

Where You Been? I agree with you and likewise didn't care for the sound of the 600's without the pads. It brightened them up a bit, which they could use, but it gave them a slighly "ratty" edge and an unfocused mid-range and while the soundstage was more in your face than the stock 600's it wasn't a good in your face. Hard to concentrate on the music. I finally put the pads back.

I think that is the first time we've agree on anything. Don't screw it up, either! Just dig the vibes!

Brian

Nov 2, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by lodo
My CD player is as cheap as they get--a Apex AD1500. I totally believe in psycoacustics. I guess now I'm wondering if with the above equipment, going with diffrent cables would make a futher diffrence, and if so--which ones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude,

Cable is the last thing you should worry about at this point. There are sooooo many things to do before you get to the cables. How about we start with your CD player and work our way up? You'll hear a much bigger difference by spending some money on a decent CD player than you will by buying a cable at this point. Start with the big things and work your way down.

Nov 2, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
lodo,

You are getting there!

Bifcake,

Where You Been? I agree with you and likewise didn't care for the sound of the 600's without the pads. It brightened them up a bit, which they could use, but it gave them a slighly "ratty" edge and an unfocused mid-range and while the soundstage was more in your face than the stock 600's it wasn't a good in your face. Hard to concentrate on the music. I finally put the pads back.

I think that is the first time we've agree on anything. Don't screw it up, either! Just dig the vibes!

Brian

Brian!!! What's going on?

I see you're finally coming to your senses! And here I was, all this time thinking that lobotomies were irreversible!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #37 of 60
I currently have both the 580's and 600's and they do sound different. TO ME. I now use the 600's exclusively for the reason that TO ME they sound better. For those that hear a difference, they'll understand this. Fir those that don't hear a difference, well, its ok. I've also tried the 600's with and without the foam pads and there's a difference this makes also. Without the pads the sound is more etched(?), stringent(?), brighter(?). With them, it's a bit smoother, athough still articulate.. Try it and decide for yourself. That's what makes this fun.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #38 of 60
Bifcake,

Yeah, that last round of shock treatments really snapped me out of the lobotomy fog I was in. When you going to get yours reversed.

You still trying to listen to music with those 580's. Snap out of it man, move up to the 590's, hear what you've been missing.

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #39 of 60
Brian,

You should come to Grado Labs with us. I'd want to meet you in person. I got a pair of jumper cables with your name on them. :0

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #40 of 60
I'm still listening with pads off. Hard to decide. Better for rock, but loses some of the beauty for softer stuff. Definately better that Grado's though. Mabe I'll go back and forth. Am happy with my decision.
cool.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #41 of 60
Cut it out, you two! (referring to bifcake and bkelly)
mad.gif
If you two keep at each other with the 580 vs. 590 flaming, you'll be condemned to listen to Sony MDR-V600's and Bose TriPorts for a while!!

I own both the 590 and the 600, and use both depending on what music I feel like playing. The 600 (and 580) sound better on most acoustic music (such as symphonic classical and big-band jazz); the 590, on fusion jazz and light rock/pop music (note that I said "light", not "hard"). Hard rock and R&B, it depends on the recording - crappier recordings sound better with the 600's, while on well-mastered recordings, the 590's approach (and sometimes better) the 600's.

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #42 of 60
Eagle Drive,

Good to hear from you again. It's been awhile.

I hope you know that Bifcake and I are real cool. He is easily one of my absolute favorite Head-Fi guys. The tit for tat stuff is just to keep him sharp.

Have you ever taken the pads out and what did you think. So far, Bifcake and I are the only ones I know of that didn't really like the affect.

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #45 of 60
I was laughing at the tit-for-tat between you two!!!
biggrin.gif

Okay, ROTFLMAO means "Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off."

Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
You still trying to listen to music with those 580's? Snap out of it man, move up to the 590's, hear what you've been missing.

I agree that the 590's have a bit more top-end "detail" than the 580's or the 600's. But some people find all that "detail" to be too much (or way too much) for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back