Sennnheiser HD 650 Upgrade: Silver Dragon V2 vs. Zu Mobius
Mar 20, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 33
Excellent write up. I too have Senn HD 650 Mobius. I agree about cable stiffness, but can live with it. I have always loved the sound but now you make me wonder weather to try the SD. I also have the Xcan V3 but modded with Panasonic caps etc as to this link here in the UK .
http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/in...ead=1145802934

Have a look around this site.
I also couldnt agree more about the importance of the front end, the better you go on the cans and it can actually end up being more truthful about a poor front end and thus finishes up sounding worse.
Malc
600smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #18 of 33
This was a great thread, but I'd like to get some current opinion re: the Zu's, the SD's and the Equinox cables for the HD-650.

In his ad for his new edition of the Equinox, Stefan mentioned them evolving over time..."refinement" is his term.

So, have the Zu and the Silver Dragons also evolved over time? What's your feeling about the current crop of the Zu vs the SD vs the Equinox with the HD-650's for classical, vocal and light jazz?

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 33
OK I Have sent for the Silver Dragon. Ill have a play with both the Zu and SD,then sell off the Zu if SD prefered. Should sell easily here in the UK as we cant just go out and buy it TAX TAX TAX Rip off Britain and all that.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 33
After quite a while with the SD, I agree. Refinement is a good term, but only describes part of the process. I'd say the spectrum was evened out, from a slight over emphasis of the treble to a great balance throughout. With my new triode amp (Earmax Pro) the bass is cavernous! Combined with the rich detail and the refinenement, this is the most pleasurable and involving listening I have yet done with headphones.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 33
to be honest with you, I think the HD650 is highly over rated. It is relaxed listening perhaps, but the frequency response and dynamic range is not short of laughable. My Denon HP1000 wipes the floor clean with my HD650, and anyone with a HP1000 knows what I am talking about.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to be honest with you, I think the HD650 is highly over rated. It is relaxed listening perhaps, but the frequency response and dynamic range is not short of laughable. My Denon HP1000 wipes the floor clean with my HD650, and anyone with a HP1000 knows what I am talking about.

Yeah, thanks for your useful post!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, thanks for your useful post!
rolleyes.gif

The truth should be told when the emperor has no clothes on.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Funny. I can't actually laugh at the HD-650 performance. I find it a superior headphone (to the rest that I own anyway) in terms of detail resolution and frequency balance. It is also truly euphonic-sounding.

Can you explain more elaborately how you don't like these (and what you are pairing them with)? Cheers!

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

The truth should be told when the emperor has no clothes on.

Obviously there are a few members who feel the urge to preach their truths (you're and yours is not the only one)..

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #27 of 33
This doesn't directly address the silver dragon/ zu topic, but I received my RAL cable about 10 days ago and I am very impressed. It adds a beautiful sparkle to the 650s. I am beginning to understand that the "veil" disappears with better equipment, a cable like this seems to go a long way toward this as well. I realize this is all relative as some HD650 fans feel adding a sparkle could be a bad thing. This is also the first upgrade cable I have heard, so my only frame of reference is the stock setup.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize this is all relative as some HD650 fans feel adding a sparkle could be a bad thing.

Very likely, seeing how I myself prefer the Oehlbach and stock cables, over the all-silver Headphile and SD I've owned (both of which add some sort of 'sparkle' somewhere along the frequency region).

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

what I meant is this: The cable is a passive device, how could it possible "add" anything? You would have to explain that process. Bass, after all, is not something produced by cables, but by instruments. It is then reproduced by the source. It can be emphasized by the amp. But you'll have a hard time explaining to anyone what it is a cable does to produce more bass.

Actually a cable can quite easily make it seem that more bass is produced.
If you amplify the sound as a whole and then suppress the highs and mids the result will be more bass.The internal resistance of the cable combined with imperfections in the material influence the different frequencies. If the higher frequencies are suppressed the lower ones will be louder. Copper suppresses more high frequencies than silver does. In this way a copper cable "produces" bass.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This doesn't directly address the silver dragon/ zu topic, but I received my RAL cable about 10 days ago and I am very impressed. It adds a beautiful sparkle to the 650s. I am beginning to understand that the "veil" disappears with better equipment, a cable like this seems to go a long way toward this as well. I realize this is all relative as some HD650 fans feel adding a sparkle could be a bad thing. This is also the first upgrade cable I have heard, so my only frame of reference is the stock setup.

I have RAL cable also and I'm very pleased with it. It really removes that so called veil and adds speed, details and clarity to the sound. It isn't too expensive either. Very recommended.

I've owned Headphile V2, RnB G52 and now RAL cable. G52 was very good also but it has been so long since I had it that I can't compare it to RAL. Headphile V2 wasn't in the same class with these two IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back