sennheriser 497 not a good idea with an amp.
Nov 28, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I think it would depend alot on the amp. I tried them on my PPA yesterday and was quite surprised about the sound. They sounded better than I thought they would.

more amplification regardless of the amp wil make them more bass heavy making the drivers at the risk of buzzing.

Nov 28, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 16
Sorry I didn't make it clear in my first post. I wanted to say that it would depend alot on which amp you were using and which op amps (if any) etc.

Unless in your title, "an amp" refers to your amp and none others, I don't see how you can make such a generalization. How can you say that the 497s are not a good idea with an amp based on your single experience?

I have tried them on my ppa as well as my pimeta and found them no where near being too bass heavy.

Nov 28, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 16
Schwarz, have you ever tried a dedicated headphone amplifier?

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 16
schwarzenneger,

That so-called "bass-heavy" sound that you got from that 30-watt amp is not the result of more power per se - but it's actually the result of high output impedance. You see, most headphone jacks on integrated amps were dropped from the same loudspeaker amps through a series of resistors. And the addition of such resistors has the unfortunate side effect of increasing the output impedance of the headphone out. The result? The headphone jack on your "30-watt" amp actually has an output impedance of several hundred Ohms, while most Sennheisers (including your HD497) really sound best at an output impedance near zero Ohms. This mismatch - the output impedance much higher than what your cans really work best at - results in a dark, woolly, muddy sound and reduced volume levels.

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 16
i have my mp3s normailised at 89dB with mp3gain and i built a small no-frills cmoy for a louder output out of my ipod... i have gotten good results and my hd497s sound fuller, a little warmer -- this is probably an op-amp colouring (opa2124pa), but the bass is somewhat tighter and they give me a better sound overall. thats just my experience, you are talking about an amp several leagues above a cmoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 16
497 are very bass havy phones even without an amp. I think 497 are the most bass hevy open headphones.

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamk
497 are very bass havy phones even without an amp. I think 497 are the most bass hevy open headphones.

blink.gif
I dunno about that. My PX100s are much more bass heavy than my 497s. I've heard other models (not sure with offhand) that are the also heavier than the 497s.

Edit: 00940 beat me to it.

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzlL0dr
blink.gif
I dunno about that. My PX100s are much more bass heavy than my 497s. I've heard other models (not sure with offhand) that are the also heavier than the 497s.

My 497's have a punchy, not deep bass. I would say it's lacking in bass overall compared to my HD580's, too.

They seem ok with or without an amp.

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
My 497's have a punchy, not deep bass. I would say it's lacking in bass overall compared to my HD580's, too.

They seem ok with or without an amp.

interesting . . . my 497 have about 20% louder bass than my (good amped) 580. 497 goes easily down to 20Hz just like 580 so they are deep qual. Although 580 bass sounds better but not louder/heavier than 497. Hd580 sound characteristic is more straight line and 497 more U-like which makes 497 more bass heavy headphones.

Nov 28, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzlL0dr
blink.gif

yes the px100's are more bass heavy but with the 30 watt amp i used the 497's did sound a little more bass heavy.

Nov 28, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
more amplification regardless of the amp wil make them more bass heavy making the drivers at the risk of buzzing.

It seem that you do not understand the concept of an amp. An amp is design to first amplify the sound to an appropriate listening level and provide enough current and power so the headphones are driven at it's full potential.

Every audio chain must have an amp somewhere. You didn't state your source but your PCDP or IPOD or whatever source with headphones out has a build in amp. The purpose to external amp is if we feel that the build in amp is lacking and a better design/match amplification is wanted. Therefore a good match and design amp don't make it overly bass heavy. it will make them just right.That what synergy is. Matching the component together to get a good sound. If it does make it overly bassy it either a bad amp or mismatch with the phones. If it make the sound worst it simply mean that your build in amp is better match that the external one.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
after testing them on a 30 watt amp i found them too bass heavy.now i understand why some others have said they are better unamped.

The comment on this headphones or that headphones don't need an amp does not mean it will perform worst with an amp. It simply mean that in the writer mind the benifit don't justify the cost.

For example few has said that the 497 were better amplify with a PPA. Well it doesn't make sense spend on a $400+ amp with a <$100 headphones your $400 is better spend somewhere else that all. It does not mean that it will sound bad with a PPA. Edit: It mean that the heaphones does not suffer as much of weak amp and can sound decent with the build in amp of your source. It does not mean that it will sound worst with proper amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back