Sennheiser's New HD Line of Affordable Headphones (HD 451, HD 461, HD 471)
Dec 6, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #46 of 64
Hmm, recently got a pair of pads from alli-express. It is ment for the 449, but I think it is different. It looks more like a 471 pair of pads:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Protein-Earpad-for-Sennheise-HD418-HD419-HD428-HD429-HD439-HD438-HD448-HD449-Headphone-Ear-Pad/32718653360.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.0UElai

I will get my new 471g and post my opinion compared to the modded 439 and 449. I think it will sound the same as 449 (unmodded of course). With the natural diferencies due to the pads. I bought them to have a 449 replacement and because I found them 59 euros on sale. Also, the cable may come in handy, it may be used for 439 as well I guess, which I mostly use with my tablet. I guess the volume buttons also act as next/previous track if pressed for a couple of seconds, right?

Currently, I have been lucky, found a new HD-497 forgotten in a corner of a store! Grabed it right away for 60 euros. Comparing them to my old HD-497, I realize what "burn in" is all about. The same headphones sound somewhat different: My old one breathes so much better...  But the old one is sooo worn out!

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #47 of 64
471 uses a cable with the same headphone connector as 449 and 439, yes.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #49 of 64
Ok, got my HD-471g

First of all, let me tell you I already have a HD-439 and a HD-449, both modded.

At first, the HD-471g sounds nice, better than etiher HD-439 or HD-449 unmodded and out of the box. Maybe it is due to the different earpads or diferent construction, the characteristics are the same. The 471 has better bass than its predessesor 449, and its highs are less harsh. It is quite relaxed and a bit indeferent.
The main problem however, remains the somewhat restrained sound that comes out due to the same tape, obviously, that was there in the previous 4xx line. That tape cuts down the headphone's potential A LOT! Makes one wonder if it is in fact part of the construction, or it is an on purpose add-in...

Haven't try modding it yet, I will some day, just not now. I'll let them burn in first. It would be interested to compare them with 439 and 449 all modded.

Right now it goes like this: 471 is a bit better than 439 or 449 out of the box.

BUT both 439 and 449 modded make the 471 sound like they are cheap earbuds...
Higs, mids and, most of all bass, become more evident and come out of the closet with this mod!

Looking forward to modding these :p

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #50 of 64
Goofy looking? Dont worry about it. The performance more than makes up for it!

The stereo soundstage is amazing! It s the first time I have heard instruments
at 9oclock 11oclock centre 1oclock & 3oclock in such detail!

Big bands are stunning, check out robbie williams- beyond the sea.
Also Micheal Buble & Natalie Cole, artists with great backing bands.

These headphones really shine where stereo soundstage is concerned.
Bass is punchy but not as defined as some other phones.
Mids & highs are understated but still there.

This is a plus for long listening sessions resulting in less ear fatigue.
Nice for aggressive big band or pop tracks.

Comfort is also a plus.
They dont seem to sweat like some of the velour? pads do.
Also they dont feel "big" on your head.
Nicely slim designed shells.

The downside is lack of sensitivity, probably because of the 32 ohm rating.
However they still shine with good amplification.

I have experienced sony 7506pro sony v77pro sennheiser 429 sennheiser 202 & sennheiser pro models & JBL

The sennheiser 451 is the first headphone for me that has produced a beautiful
stereo soundstage.

It is most absolutely is finest feature.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #53 of 64
Unless you are looking at yourself all day long with the 451s on dont worry about the goofy bit!

You will be more than compensated by the finest stereo soundstage imaging i have yet heard.

They leave my 429s for dead.

They may look a little flimsy but hey they are featherlight on the head!

Check out my other comments.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #54 of 64
Got my 451s this week. What a find!! They were only released in oct 2016.

USA wont get them. They dont know what they are missing!

Check out lee ritenour "jammin"
Sensational frequency distribution especially bass.
And of course great stereo.

Fantastic value for money!

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #55 of 64
I agree with most of the 461 users comments. I have a pair of 451 headphones.

Great stereo soundstage detail.

Has understated high end but is ok on big band and classical.

Bass is deep but could be better defined. I have heard better on other headphones.

Very comfortable for long listening and light.

Not big and obtrusive and better design than the 429.

Being 32 ohms they need more power to drive them well
than Sonys or Audiotechnic

On the whole I am very happy with mine especially
the comfort & stereo performance.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #56 of 64
  Ok, got my HD-471g

First of all, let me tell you I already have a HD-439 and a HD-449, both modded.

At first, the HD-471g sounds nice, better than etiher HD-439 or HD-449 unmodded and out of the box. Maybe it is due to the different earpads or diferent construction, the characteristics are the same. The 471 has better bass than its predessesor 449, and its highs are less harsh. It is quite relaxed and a bit indeferent.
The main problem however, remains the somewhat restrained sound that comes out due to the same tape, obviously, that was there in the previous 4xx line. That tape cuts down the headphone's potential A LOT! Makes one wonder if it is in fact part of the construction, or it is an on purpose add-in...

Haven't try modding it yet, I will some day, just not now. I'll let them burn in first. It would be interested to compare them with 439 and 449 all modded.

Right now it goes like this: 471 is a bit better than 439 or 449 out of the box.

BUT both 439 and 449 modded make the 471 sound like they are cheap earbuds...
Higs, mids and, most of all bass, become more evident and come out of the closet with this mod!

Looking forward to modding these :p

So, how is the HD 471 after burning it in? I checked it out today, and while it's a good headphone for audiophiles, I thought that it could use more bass... Out of the box it sounds kinda tame - bass would help liven it up and make for a more exciting listening experience. The HD 461 has deeper bass that does not bleed elsewhere, so to me it seems the superior headphone (I listen to electronic & metal). Do you think it's possible to use the tape mod on HD 471 (has anyone opened it up yet)? If it's possible then I might get the HD 471 as it's on sale in a nearby shop, twice cheaper than the HD 461 (40 vs 80 euro)... Would be a killer deal if not for the crippled bass

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #57 of 64
471 and its brothers are built very similar to 448 and such.  Most of the same mods should work.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #58 of 64
Following is a comparison/small review of all my cans to the recently bought HD-471g and HD-461g:
The 471 has been burned in, they kinda need it and improve a lot, the 461 comes really nice right out of the box. Perhaps the latter do not improve much with burn in, we will see.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #59 of 64

So, how is the HD 471 after burning it in? I checked it out today, and while it's a good headphone for audiophiles, I thought that it could use more bass... Out of the box it sounds kinda tame - bass would help liven it up and make for a more exciting listening experience. The HD 461 has deeper bass that does not bleed elsewhere, so to me it seems the superior headphone (I listen to electronic & metal). Do you think it's possible to use the tape mod on HD 471 (has anyone opened it up yet)? If it's possible then I might get the HD 471 as it's on sale in a nearby shop, twice cheaper than the HD 461 (40 vs 80 euro)... Would be a killer deal if not for the crippled bass

Sorry for the late reply... I do not visit here often, and it seems I do not ger email notifications for pms...

Anyway, the 471 are a very good set. After burning in they are my preferable cans for listening with my tablets. Of course, I apply bass with EQ, they need it as I do not intend to mod them. But they do sound perfect and the do not bother my ears, they have warm sound with perfect soundstage and with a bit help a good amount of bass.

The 449 and 439 are perfect sound wise if you mod them, but they seem to hurt the ears (Tinnitus!). Perhaps I am wrong here but since I already have 2 modded phones that cover my needs, I will mod neither my 471 or my 461 that I also have.

It is hard to tell you wich I prefer between 461 and 471. The 461 have really good bass, not extreme. Sometimes I also add some more with EQ.
The 471 defenitely need EQ bass. The 461 can do without. 
But the 471 have more clear sound and soundstage. They are a higher model, that can be heard if you put them together. But this is not to say the 461 are a bad model! They too have a very nice sound, with more power. It is a really hard choice!

If your source has good dac, and the sound is reach and deep (basy like) I would go for 471. If your dac lacks bass, go for the 461. They produce different results from different sources: I prefer my 471 for my tablets and the 461 for my PC and phone! Each one shines with its specific pair source!

As far as the price is concerned, I would put them at the same level with the 471 able to go 10 bucks more due to better characteristics.
If you have found the 471 to be really cheaper than 461, go for them.

I found them both on sale:
471 cost 59 euros and the 461 cost 55 euros, so I bought them both! Did not regret it! 

Also bought the 598cs (closed) on sale from the US, 100 bucks. Well this can is superior in everything but they have less bass even than 471... They need good DACs and an AMP or a better source than tablets/phones/motherboards to really shine. When I use them in my TV for movies they are much preferable. But for music I prefer 471 or 461. Even though the sound comes louder than any other can I have due to really small impentace, they do lack power in lows. Also found another 498 (open) - condition new, and bought them with closed eyes! For TV only too. Those cans are the best cheap open cans there is (was) out there.

For music the PERFECT sounding headphones are the 449 and 439 modded and with no Egualizer help whatsoever. They even overcome 598cs in sound quality. But be carefull, they are so adictive sound wise that you wanna pop the volume up! Perhaps modding their successors 471 and 461 will produce similar results. But the mod may be trickier here, they use different earpads, and the 439 had velour pads.

Sorry for the late response, anything else I can help with just ask me! 

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #60 of 64
Also, tried those https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pairs-Comfort-Relax-Replacement-Earpad-Ear-Pads-Soft-Foam-Sponge-Warm-Care-Headphones-Pro-for-Sennheiser/32631544430.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.03727V on a Hd-458 I had lying arround. They became a different beast! Close to HD-498 with more bass. I love them, they are a lesser can but know they sound much better. Compared to 471 and 461, they have the advantages of an open can, but the music sounds warmer and more ear friendly with the 471-461 series.

Usually I do not change pads, I think the original ones are always the best. The 471 and 461 have really nice pads (the same in both) that produce a really nice and warm sound. And they are really comfortable.

I defenitely suggest those headphones, either of them. For music mostly, not so for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back