Sennheiser's New HD Line of Affordable Headphones (HD 451, HD 461, HD 471)
Sep 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wanted to share this as I didn't see a thread for them.

They were announced at IFA of 2015.

Expected release date is to be October 2015. (Digital Trends)

Sennheiser HD 451 (MSRP $54.95)

"Powerful Bass" 

"The HD 451 offers vibrant stereo sound with powerful bass response as well as highly appealing aesthetics all in one compact package."

- Summary from Sennheiser Instagram

--------------------

Description from Sennheiser USA's website

Overview

The HD 451 offers vibrant stereo sound with powerful bass response as well as highly appealing aesthetics all in one compact package. Its state-of-the-art transducers deliver clear, vivid sound reproduction, and the closed, circumaural design helps to shut out disturbing ambient noise for maximum listening pleasure in a variety of listening environments. Furthermore, the single-sided cable virtually eliminates tangling, thus guaranteeing improved freedom of movement on the go. Sennheiser’s HD 451: For outstanding stereo sound that you can enjoy anywhere.

Features

1. Optimized for use with portable audio devices including MP3 & CD players, iOS & Galaxy devices and smartphones (iPad, iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.)
  2. 2-year warranty

Sennheiser HD 461 (MSRP $89.95)

"Deep Bass"

"The Sennheiser HD 461 offers stunning sound, stylish good looks and a deep bass experience."

- Summary from Sennheiser's Instagram

--------------------

Overview

If you’re looking for stunning sound and stylish good looks, Sennheiser’s HD 461 is definitely the right choice. 
High-quality transducers deliver breathtaking sound reproduction with powerful bass response, and the modern, ergonomic design ensures that these headphones are both comfortable to wear and visually appealing. Furthermore, a detachable, single-sided cable equipped with an in-line remote allows you to enjoy music and make or take calls with ease, while the closed, circumaural construction guarantees maximum attenuation of background noise. Take you portable device to the next level with Sennheiser’s HD 461.

Features

1. Comfortable fit due to the ergonomic design
  2. Improved freedom of movement and convenience thanks to the detachable, single-sided cables with in-line remote
  3. 2-year warranty

Sennheiser HD 471 (MSRP $109.95)

"Balanced Soundstage"

"The Sennheiser HD 471 offers pure listening pleasure, whether you're on the go or in your living room."

- Summary from Sennheiser's Instagram

--------------------

Overview

With its striking aesthetics and unsurpassed sound quality Sennheiser’s HD 471 offers pure listening pleasure, whether you’re on the go or in your living room. Highly advanced transducers and innovative, lightweight diaphragms work in conjunction to provide clear, detailed sound reproduction, while the ergonomic circumaural design ensures maximum attenuation of ambient noise and a comfortable fit even after hours of use. And because these headphones are fully compatible with both portable devices as well as home stereo equipment, you’ll be able to enjoy amazing sound quality anywhere. Sennheiser’s HD 471: If you’re looking for high-performance audio, you’ve found it.

Features

1. Comfortable fit due to the ergonomic design
  2. Improved freedom of movement and convenience thanks to the detachable, single-sided cables with in-line remote
  3. Optimal connectivity to home stereo equipment with gold-plated plugs, an additional 3m cable and a 6.3mm plug adaptor
  4. Added protection and convenience with the storage pouch and extension cable
  5. HD 471i is optimized for use with your portable iOS device (iPad, iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.) HD 471G is optimized for use with your portable Android devices.
  6. 2-year warranty

Please do leave thoughts, speculations, impressions, or anything.

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 64
I just noticed these on bestbuy.ca last night. The pricing seems good. I just wish Sennheiser would give up on those dorky 80's designs, and super thin proprietary replaceable cables. 

The HD 451 looks interesting to me just because it's closed and has velour padding. If the sound of these are good I might reluctantly bite at some point, but damn they are ugly and goofy looking.

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 64
  I just noticed these on bestbuy.ca last night. The pricing seems good. I just wish Sennheiser would give up on those dorky 80's designs, and super thin proprietary replaceable cables. 

The HD 451 looks interesting to me just because it's closed and has velour padding. If the sound of these are good I might reluctantly bite at some point, but damn they are ugly and goofy looking.

Yup, they definitely look like something I wouldn't take outside unless if I was somehow daring that day.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 64
I recently picked up a pair of the HD 461 for 80$. They have a kind of cheap plastic feeling, like something you would find in a high school computer room or something. They basically feel like a 15$ pair of headphones. They might not be the most attractive headphones out there, either.

What you pay for is premium Sennheiser sound quality. They just sound really good. Well rounded, clear mids; deep, unobtrusive lows, and detailed, airy highs. Soundstage is great for a closed can. Way better than I expected.

Isolation is OK, and thanks to the light plastic material they remain comfortable on the ears for longer periods. I don't regret getting them.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 64
  I recently picked up a pair of the HD 461 for 80$. They have a kind of cheap plastic feeling, like something you would find in a high school computer room or something. They basically feel like a 15$ pair of headphones. They might not be the most attractive headphones out there, either.

What you pay for is premium Sennheiser sound quality. They just sound really good. Well rounded, clear mids; deep, unobtrusive lows, and detailed, airy highs. Soundstage is great for a closed can. Way better than I expected.

Isolation is OK, and thanks to the light plastic material they remain comfortable on the ears for longer periods. I don't regret getting them.

Do they come in a carrying pouch or fold flat for easy carrying around?

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 64
  Nope. They don't fold at all and they come with no accessories whatsoever. It's a no-frills package.

Wow. They must be pretty confident in the sound of their headphones then. I might pick up the 461G down the road.

Do you think they can handle the outdoors in terms of durability and are the pads replaceable?

I was thinking of slapping some HM5 pads onto them.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 64
  Wow. They must be pretty confident in the sound of their headphones then. I might pick up the 461G down the road.

Do you think they can handle the outdoors in terms of durability and are the pads replaceable?

I was thinking of slapping some HM5 pads onto them.

The pads seem to be permanently attached, I'm afraid. I don't have the courage to pull too hard. I wouldn't worry too much about durability though. The phones feel plastic, but they're not flimsy or anything. I'm going to use them outside for walks, on the bus and so on.

While they're not exactly pretty looking, I think they actually look pretty good on the head, they align well with my skull. Lol.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 64
I had a chance recently to listen to a co-workers HD471. 

You know what. Actually pretty damn good. Yes, build is plasticky, but not bad. Perhaps not the most attractive with its swirly sea shell outer cup, but unique.

HD471 Brief Impressions:

- rolled off high-midrange
- good mid-bass kick, bass could be more controlled
- sub bass extension could be bit better but pretty good
- decent soundstage for closed
- requires a decent amount of juice 
- sounds good for psy-trance, and punchy electronic. Actually, good for all electronic music with its deep signature
- responds well to EQ, brighten them up a bit for a much more engaging sound
- fairly linear, allows you to turn them up without too much fatigue.
- decent but clearly don’t have the resolution of some higher-end cans
- build, pretty plasticky, a step below the HD558
- comfort, is pretty good, pads could be a bit more plush and they sweat, though not very clammy.

Recommended. Pretty nice closed can especially for the price. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 64
I have yet to see the HD 451 available outside of Europe. Anyone know if they are going to be released in North America? Sennheiser doesn't strike me as a brand to release region locked items like say Audio Technica seem to do.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 64
I bought HD 461 a few days ago and they sounds quite good if you don't mind that they distort in the lower frequencies !!!
I didn't believe to my ears but there are songs where some deep bass makes a weird sound like a broken speaker. The strange thing is that even if I lower the volume, the noise is there.
I can't hear that noise if I use a sine tone generator. I can sweep through the lower frequencies without any noise.
With some songs the distortion noise is there.
If I try with other headphones (some cheap Philips Headphones and a far better Beyerdynamic DT770) I can't hear any noise... well... just a tiny hint with the cheap Philips, but, hell, those are far cheaper that the Sennheiser HD 461 and sounds way better and with an higher volume !

Just for reference, I clearly hear the distortion in the following pieces:

- Heart of Amsterdam (The Gentle Storm)  at min 0:24
- The Grid (Daft Punk, Tron Legacy OST) just after the voice stops talking

If I forget for a second the distortion, they aren't that bad. They are bass oriented but not that much and lacks a bit in the higher tones. Nothing that a bit of eq can't correct.

But the distortion is there and I'm undecided if I want to return them. I can't believe that Sennheiser headphones that costs 70euros can sound that way.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 64
  I bought HD 461 a few days ago and they sounds quite good if you don't mind that they distort in the lower frequencies !!!
I didn't believe to my ears but there are songs where some deep bass makes a weird sound like a broken speaker. The strange thing is that even if I lower the volume, the noise is there.
I can't hear that noise if I use a sine tone generator. I can sweep through the lower frequencies without any noise.
With some songs the distortion noise is there.
If I try with other headphones (some cheap Philips Headphones and a far better Beyerdynamic DT770) I can't hear any noise... well... just a tiny hint with the cheap Philips, but, hell, those are far cheaper that the Sennheiser HD 461 and sounds way better and with an higher volume !

Just for reference, I clearly hear the distortion in the following pieces:

- Heart of Amsterdam (The Gentle Storm)  at min 0:24
- The Grid (Daft Punk, Tron Legacy OST) just after the voice stops talking

If I forget for a second the distortion, they aren't that bad. They are bass oriented but not that much and lacks a bit in the higher tones. Nothing that a bit of eq can't correct.

But the distortion is there and I'm undecided if I want to return them. I can't believe that Sennheiser headphones that costs 70euros can sound that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back