Sennheisers just..ok
Feb 21, 2005 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Nuke

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Sennheisers and plugged them into my ipod and they sound good...but I expected a lot better. The treble doesn't even sound significantly better than my stock earbuds lol...Should I burn them in and re-test or how does the process work.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 38
Oops
smily_headphones1.gif
Forgot to mention the model. I got the Sennheiser HD570s (No i can't afford 590 :p). I heard from other people that it sounded great on their portables so im wondering if it just needs some time.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 38
Erm, that's like saying you bought a ford, could be something as crappy as a tempo or a festiva, or something as sweet as a GT. Senn has a very wide range of products, and some of them sound pretty crappy unamped out of a portable.

Edit: The 570s are pretty underwhelming (I know, I used to own a pair). They are also incredibly power hungry considering their impedance value of 150ohms (I believe). They are ok cans if bundled earbuds or $20 radio shack headphones are what you're used to, but they definatly arn't the best that Senn has to offer.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 38
Hmm, I just did a google search, and apparently there is a new generation of HD570s out that are 64ohms. My generation of 570s was 120ohms. I don't know what they are doing differently now, and how that affects the sound of the cans... nor do I know why they bothered to make a new version of a headphone that can't exactly be considered one of their "hits".

Still, 64ohms isn't exactly the happy range of a portable, even if it's not entirely portable-unfriendly. Suffice to say, give your 570s some burn-in time 50-100hours, and if they don't get better, I'd reccomend seeing if you can't trade them in on some of the more oft reccomended headphones for use with portables. I believe senn has good stuff in the 2xx line, although I've never heard any of it. I myself am quite happy with Alessandro's MS-1s. Even if you can't find those (so far as I know, you can only purchase them from Alessandro's website), the Grado SR-125s are almost the exact same cans, and the SR-60s are damn close for half the price.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 38
You can wedge a children's book between the headband to loosten them up. Sadly, everyone else is right, these cans are by no mean Sennheiser's best, my friend owns a pair, and I found them to be rather dissapointing in comparison to my old HD590's.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuke
Well its been almost 2 hours and they already sound better. They are however, a little tight around my head. Will they become looser over time.

Yes, all senns start out tight, but get more comfortable over time as the foam softens. The 570s especially rank among the most comfortable headphones on the market today, along with their sister headphones the 590s. You could try pulling the cans out one more "notch" of extention on each side from the headband in the mean time, and see if that helps.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
570 is the worst sennheiser ever made

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
No, there are plenty of crappier models. But for the price perhaps, maybe one of their worst.

Well I'm happy with my purcahse now. :| Have you ever tried a pair? I don't possibly see how they can be the worst headphones.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuke
Well I'm happy with my purcahse now. :| Have you ever tried a pair? I don't possibly see how they can be the worst headphones.

The 570s are awful.

Take them back, and buy any of the following models.

555 or 595 unamped

580, 600, 650 amped

Honestly, the 570s are not worth half their price, you'd be better off with a better Sennheiser model, or many other brand / models out there, I would not recommend the 570s unless you got them for like $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back