Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 21, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #4,096 of 4,141
Oh, those are socket savers, for when I'm tube rolling, so I won't "damage" the original sockets. Tested them and they don't affect the sound of the tubes if plugged directly.

Got it. Nice idea.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #4,097 of 4,141
I just saw a video of Joshua Valour about pad chancing and was wondering if you have experience with pad changing on the HD650/HD6XX and whether or not you would recommend this.

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #4,098 of 4,141
I just saw a video of Joshua Valour about pad chancing and was wondering if you have experience with pad changing on the HD650/HD6XX and whether or not you would recommend this.
I've tried rolling pads on all my 6 Series headphones and it's a waste of time and money .
You can find pads more comfortable but none improved sound .

Sennheiser obviously spent as much time on how their pads sound as they did on everything else.

Also these YouTube reviews may be intersting to watch but there is much more acurate information from people on this forum I actually trust .

The people that really get to know Headphones are people that bought them and live with them over time rather than someone like joshua Velour who is doing it for a few days to pay his rent.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #4,099 of 4,141

I haven't taken off the pads from 6XX, but I have experience in changing pads for several other headphones, Audio Technica M50, Sennheiser HD800, Audeze Sine etc. Unless the pads are glued to the earpieces like in some Audeze models, its not difficult or risky to replace pads. The idea is to go slow and have patience. With 6XX, I think its quite easy to take off and put on pads. Its just pulling off and squeezing in I think.

As for the recommending, I did some research on how people feel about aftermarket pads for HD6XX/650, and so far I haven't found any pad that maintains or improves the sound compared to the stock pads. Many people in fact say that the aftermarket pads worsen the sound in the 650. This is in contrast to the HD800 where the opinion is mixed, especially with the Dekoni pads. Some people like the sound, some don't.

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #4,100 of 4,141
I've tried rolling pads on all my 6 Series headphones and it's a waste of time and money .
You can find pads more comfortable but none improved sound .

Sennheiser obviously spent as much time on how their pads sound as they did on everything else.

Also these YouTube reviews may be intersting to watch but there is much more acurate information from people on this forum I actually trust .

The people that really get to know Headphones are people that bought them and live with them over time rather than someone like joshua Velour who is doing it for a few days to pay his rent.

Depending on the amount spent on the pads, I suppose it wasn't a total waste if you've learned from it and had a nice experience while trying :wink:

Good to hear that you both provide the same answer, that makes me less interested in pad rolling for now (could give it a try in the future for my own experience though..). What made your experience not that good? Did the headphones become unbalanced?

Although I understand that Youtubers have other interests making the video's than just informing the viewers, I do like Joshua Velour. The video about pad rolling was informative, since I never thought about the influence of difference pads (thickness, materials etc) for the sound of a headphone. I joined this forum to gain some more objective information :)

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,101 of 4,141
Depending on the amount spent on the pads, I suppose it wasn't a total waste if you've learned from it and had a nice experience while trying :wink:

Good to hear that you both provide the same answer, that makes me less interested in pad rolling for now (could give it a try in the future for my own experience though..). What made your experience not that good? Did the headphones become unbalanced?

Although I understand that Youtubers have other interests making the video's than just informing the viewers, I do like Joshua Velour. The video about pad rolling was informative, since I never thought about the influence of difference pads (thickness, materials etc) for the sound of a headphone. I joined this forum to gain some more objective information :)
I used all the pads on other headphones so no real loss .

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #4,102 of 4,141

I think none of the two posters is wrong about their opinions. In my case, though, the OEM pads (HD6xx) hurt my jaws a bit. And when I got a chance to get a pair of Dekoni Hybrid pads for 40% below the MSRP, I didn't hesitate to try them for myself. Even though the pads do not improve sound, they don't alter it either to my ears. What I hoped for was a little more comfort, and I got that. So I stick with them for about 6 months now. YMMV, of course. :beerchug:
20190324_191153.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #4,103 of 4,141
I think none of the two posters is wrong about their opinions. In my case, though, the OEM pads (HD6xx) hurt my jaws a bit. And when I got a chance to get a pair of Dekoni Hybrid pads for 40% below the MSRP, I didn't hesitate to try them for myself. Even though the pads do not improve sound, they don't alter it either to my ears. What I hoped for was a little more comfort, and I got that. So I stick with them for about 6 months now. YMMV, of course. :beerchug:

Hi--Just curious as to what brand of cable you're using with your 6XX's? How is the "pin-fit" into the earcups? From your picture it looks like a good one.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #4,105 of 4,141
I have a great balanced cable but until I decide to buy a balanced Amp it is still unused since August lol
361A8102_20170821230030 (1).jpg
361A8105_20170821230029.jpg

OH well maybe next summer

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #4,108 of 4,141
In my case, though, the OEM pads (HD6xx) hurt my jaws a bit.

I do experience this same feeling with the original pads, but thought it would be due to the clamping force of new headphones (just have mine for about six weeks). Didn't it get better over time for you?

Nice looking amp btw. What is it?

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #4,109 of 4,141
I do experience this same feeling with the original pads, but thought it would be due to the clamping force of new headphones (just have mine for about six weeks). Didn't it get better over time for you?
Yes, but only a little bit. I also did try bending headband (the part just above each ear cup) and it helped with the clamping force but not much. I think I waited only 4 weeks when I bought the Dekoni pads, though.

Nice looking amp btw. What is it?
That little tube amp is LOXJIE P20. Got it for $90 on Amazon US.

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #4,110 of 4,141
Nothing special, Bob. It's just a modded stock HD650 cable I bought on eBay, so the connecters fit perfectly in the sockets.

Thanks--I think that's pretty much the only way to ensure the pins fit nicely without a monumental struggle to insert/unplug. I'm wondering if yours is a Corpse Cable as they mod the stock Senn HD__ cables with various terminations.

You just don't know what you're going to get aftermarket-wise. I know as I have an aftermarket 2.5mm TRRS terminated for my HD-58X's--it's OK but you do have to struggle a bit on the removal. I had an experience with another aftermarket bought for my 6XX's and it turned out to be almost impossible to remove, as the sockets in the 6XX earcups are, in my case, smaller than the ones in my 58's. I had other problems with that 6XX cable so I'm just looking for a modded stock at this point and I think I'll end up pursuing the Corpse Cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back