Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #3,979 of 4,141
Got my hd6xx today, running it through A&K SE100 to Schitt Magni 3 ATM. I have obtained a Massdrop AKG K7xx prior. Wondering what is the difference here..,
Comfort for me, first. The HD6xx are better for me. The AKG K7XX have more solid bass, if that’s you’re thing. Between the HE4xx, HD6xx, and the K7Xx, the first get the most play for both music and gaming. The Sennheiser set is good for vocals for me, along with chamber music. The AKGs sadly are just too painful for me to wear since I suffered a head injury and concussion. They sound solid across the board, though,

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #3,980 of 4,141
Just ordered the HD 6XX and it is shipping tomorrow. I’ve been interested ever since the first drop, but there was always a long wait which held me back. I really don’t need this headphone, but since it is a classic at a great price, I jumped when I saw they ship the next day.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #3,981 of 4,141
Please share. I'd certainly be interested to hear what your comparative thoughts are.

Kinda like both setup. I use AKG K7XX at home straight out of my DAP. It is quite flexible, got a longer cable so I can listen while riding my stationary bike, easy to drive straight out of my DAP. Also use it when I play game occasionally, sounds awesome, much better than my previous Logitech headphones, but don't have Mic though, so if have to use Mic I would still use my Logitech headphone.

The HD6XX has a shorter cable, I use it at my office with the Schitt Magni 3 amp. Both the HD6XX and Magni 3 are kinda new, so it is like both are going through burn-in slowly. I don't intentionally do the long hour burn in, just burn-in by listening 1-2 hours a day. Initially I am not impressed by HD6XX, but it is gradually sounding better now.

The HD6XX seems easier to use a balanced cable (cable attach points at both sides), and I seemed to recall the Sennheiser headphones are usually better with balanced setup.

To me the AKG K7XX is slightly more comfortable. Both are quite light. The HD6XX gives a bit clamping feel, but not too bad.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,982 of 4,141
Kinda like both setup. I use AKG K7XX at home straight out of my DAP. It is quite flexible, got a longer cable so I can listen while riding my stationary bike, easy to drive straight out of my DAP. Also use it when I play game occasionally, sounds awesome, much better than my previous Logitech headphones, but don't have Mic though, so if have to use Mic I would still use my Logitech headphone.

The HD6XX has a shorter cable, I use it at my office with the Schitt Magni 3 amp. Both the HD6XX and Magni 3 are kinda new, so it is like both are going through burn-in slowly. I don't intentionally do the long hour burn in, just burn-in by listening 1-2 hours a day. Initially I am not impressed by HD6XX, but it is gradually sounding better now.

The HD6XX seems easier to use a balanced cable (cable attach points at both sides), and I seemed to recall the Sennheiser headphones are usually better with balanced setup.

To me the AKG K7XX is slightly more comfortable. Both are quite light. The HD6XX gives a bit clamping feel, but not too bad.
I don’t think the Magni is good enough for either the K7xx or the HD6xx. Also, in my very honest opinion, the HD6XX (HD650) wasn’t made to impress anyone. It has no wow factor whatsoever

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #3,983 of 4,141
Just received my HD 6XX. Very happy with my purchase. Burning it in wth my iPhone and a Mojo.

I think I want to buy the HD 58X, but I really like the case for the 6XX. Anybody have an idea of what it costs?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,986 of 4,141
There is a reason it is a classic and one of the best known headphones.

No doubt. As with any headphone, the sound can't be turned for everyone. But it is hard (if not impossible) to beat the HD6XX at this $200 price point for a mid-centric headphone.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,988 of 4,141
It certainly wowed me. Wowed me even more when I added my Magni 3. I love the sound.
No doubt. As with any headphone, the sound can't be turned for everyone. But it is hard (if not impossible) to beat the HD6XX at this $200 price point for a mid-centric headphone.
Oh don’t get me wrong. I love the HD6xx. What I meant to say is that the HD6XX just take a very ordinary, very familiar sound sig (mid-centric, warm with no abnormally large sound stage) and make everything about it better.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #3,989 of 4,141
Oh don’t get me wrong. I love the HD6xx. What I meant to say is that the HD6XX just take a very ordinary, very familiar sound sig (mid-centric, warm with no abnormally large sound stage) and make everything about it better.
I sort of agree with this. It does do something of an enhancement to music. For me, it spices up old rock recordings. Very worth it!

Otherwise, the recordng would sound flat and boring.

Since the lower treble isn't so high, I end up raising the volume higher than any other headphone as I'm not so sensitive to uppermids. More mids! I don't mind it.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #3,990 of 4,141
Just received my Headphone Lounge OCC Copper Type 2 cable for my HD 6XX ... very nice improvement over the stock cable. The bass has been tightened up and has greater authority and the mid highs come across with more clarity, lifting the veil a bit from the stock cable.

@teds headfood sells the cable for about $150, but if you’re nice, he may give you a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back