Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #3,766 of 4,141
Little Dot website has a list of products and price. Also being in Australia prices for shipping will vary. Buying something in $US money is a killer for both Canadian and Australian due to exchange rate.

As regard LD MK tube amp you cannot go wrong with MKIII or IV.

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,767 of 4,141
I know this is something I could easily read this thread to answer but I enjoy the engagement of this community so I like to ask silly questions anyway:
What's a suggested amp for under a thousand dollars to pair with the 650? If it matters I have eclectic tastes and listen to a lot of modern rap, r&b, rock, electronic. They sound great single ended out of my FiiO X7-2 but I'm thinking a desktop amp is worth investing in: even at high gain they're a little quiet. Sound stellar though.
Get a Schiit jotenheim and if you want a little tube goodness, a Schiit saga. Alternatively a Schiit Mj2

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,768 of 4,141
I know this is something I could easily read this thread to answer but I enjoy the engagement of this community so I like to ask silly questions anyway:
What's a suggested amp for under a thousand dollars to pair with the 650? If it matters I have eclectic tastes and listen to a lot of modern rap, r&b, rock, electronic. They sound great single ended out of my FiiO X7-2 but I'm thinking a desktop amp is worth investing in: even at high gain they're a little quiet. Sound stellar though.
An amp that I believe is still available and was highly regarded with the HD650s is the K.I.C.A.S. or something similar to that, I may have missed a letter :) An apparently terrific little solid state discrete amp that really took hold of the HD650s bass and DROVE them.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #3,771 of 4,141
I've wanted to go down the Schitt path considering they seem great value. What separates the models you suggest?
The sound great coming from mimby!

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,772 of 4,141
Get a Schiit jotenheim and if you want a little tube goodness, a Schiit saga. Alternatively a Schiit Mj2
I've wanted to go down the Schitt path considering they seem great value. What separates the models you suggest?

I did assume you already have a DAC, but if not, the Mimby is a great option. clear, detailed, with a hint of smoothness that makes the music very enjoyable. There are innumerable reviews of the Mimby here and elsewhere if you want to read up.

The Jot is a very powerful, very articulate amp. Some would say it's a bit harsh, and its sound stage isn't as wide as it could be. On the plus side, its very a very clean sound with very low distortion. Also lots of reviews.

The Saga is a pre-amp that has a tube stage. Basically, in this case, its a tube buffer. IfI and YAQIN both make tube buffers as well. The tube buffer just adds a bit of warmth. Might not be needed with the HD6xx.

The Mj2 is Schiit's top of the line tub amp. The "lesser" models are also excellent. If you like the tube sound, you don't need two devices if you buy a tube amp. If you get a tube amp, or even a tube buffer, budget some money for alternative tubes.

If it were my money, and I only had $1000, I would get a Mimby and a Jotenheim and see how I liked it. You can always get them used, and resell if you want to try others. The next I would try is a Lyr2. Read up on the Lyr threads to learn about what tubes works best.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,773 of 4,141
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #3,775 of 4,141
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #3,776 of 4,141
I did assume you already have a DAC, but if not, the Mimby is a great option. clear, detailed, with a hint of smoothness that makes the music very enjoyable. There are innumerable reviews of the Mimby here and elsewhere if you want to read up.

The Jot is a very powerful, very articulate amp. Some would say it's a bit harsh, and its sound stage isn't as wide as it could be. On the plus side, its very a very clean sound with very low distortion. Also lots of reviews.

The Saga is a pre-amp that has a tube stage. Basically, in this case, its a tube buffer. IfI and YAQIN both make tube buffers as well. The tube buffer just adds a bit of warmth. Might not be needed with the HD6xx.

The Mj2 is Schiit's top of the line tub amp. The "lesser" models are also excellent. If you like the tube sound, you don't need two devices if you buy a tube amp. If you get a tube amp, or even a tube buffer, budget some money for alternative tubes.

If it were my money, and I only had $1000, I would get a Mimby and a Jotenheim and see how I liked it. You can always get them used, and resell if you want to try others. The next I would try is a Lyr2. Read up on the Lyr threads to learn about what tubes works best.
Good recommendations, Allanmarcus. I'm a big Schiit fan and becoming more so :) Currently running a Valhalla 2 with upgraded NOS Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 input tubes and Senn HD 540 Reference cans (re-padded and cables) and really looking forward to hearing this amp with the HD6XX when they arrive, hopefully they will not sound too warm here, otherwise I will find some slightly brighter tubes. The other possibly more likely candidate is my new-ish Magni 3, brilliant with the HifiMAN HE 400S(also re-padded and cabled) and even my older modded Denon AH-D1000 cans. It can even drive my HD540Rs (600 ohm) to good if not outstanding levels. It's a very neutral amp that in my experience just lets every headphone be itself, bright will be bright - yet controlled - and warm is warm with punch and excellent control. I'm hearing detail and space with this little cracker of an amp that I've never heard through headphones before, barring only specific 3D solidity through the V2 and the HD540Rs (as in; never before have I heard a piano sound solid in 3D depth as well as width, that is, front to back depth in space in front of my head to somewhere in the back of it. Quite astonishing). Whether the new HD6XX will be able to do that remains to be seen.
The Jot had a terrific review in HiFi Plus magazine and that was with the supplied DAC option! And that with the top class Utopia cans (no harshness was mentioned with these bright-ish cans), the preferred option of a Mimby was suggested too, in alignment your final recommendation, Allenmarcus. I will get a Mimby next year.
Here's a thought, I wonder if Sennheiser and Massdrop will work together and cook up a cracking new version of the HD540 Reference series? .......... I almost drooled then ...

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #3,777 of 4,141

Here's a question, what's the value proposition when you go for the more expensive offerings for headphone amps? This is extremely new to me. Schiit themselves claim for many the $99 Magni 3 might be all the amp they ever need. Is there any truth in that? Is a TOTL solid state amp that costs 5-10 times the price going to provide a noticeable difference? This hobby is a curious one to get in to, knowing where to invest money and potentially dubious price to performance value propositions.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,778 of 4,141
Here's a question, what's the value proposition when you go for the more expensive offerings for headphone amps? This is extremely new to me. Schiit themselves claim for many the $99 Magni 3 might be all the amp they ever need. Is there any truth in that? Is a TOTL solid state amp that costs 5-10 times the price going to provide a noticeable difference? This hobby is a curious one to get in to, knowing where to invest money and potentially dubious price to performance value propositions.

We are veering way off topic here, so I will give my answer, then recommend you bring up larger, philosophical questions like the above in a separate thread, if you want to discuss further.

Audio as a hobby is just like any other hobby. If all you want to do is dabble a little, get a decent system that's better then your average person's system, and enjoy what you have and move on, an inexpensive system (like the fulla or Modi/Magni) will suffice. As you learn more about the subtleties of the hobby, you begin to want to fill small gaps in your system. You may become better trained to hear little things (like glare, wooliness, sibilance, definition, and more) that you were not able to hear when you first started. You then may want better equipment to produce the sound you prefer. This may lead you to sell your first system and get one "one notch up". You're happy for a while, then you get better at the hobby and you want to move "one notch up" again. That cycle can be very fun and rewarding to some, but also expensive. Some would argue, if you have the funds, just buy something that is 5 notches up from the start, and be done. The challenge with that is you have no way to know the intricate subtleties to help you get to the end game system from the start, so you dabble.

Just like every other hobby, the law of diminishing returns plays a part in this hobby. a $999 amp is not 10 times better than a $99 amp, but it's (likely) better. Even "better" is the wrong term. The $999 amp will sound different, and likely the only way to get that difference is to get that amp. Sometime there are objective measurements like power and distortion. Most times the differences between equipment are too subtle to measure, and the only way you can determine if you like it is to try it.

One cannot determine if a bottle of wine will be good simply by the label alone. One has to try varieties, and different years, and different regions, to develop a baseline for preference. That one can hone in on the flavors one prefers and how to get them. Also, you may want different wine depending on mood, other ingredients in the meal, location, or company. Music is similar.

Is the mangi all you need? Sure. It's the "House Red Wine". If you are happy with that, you save yourself a ton a money. If you have a more refined taste and are willing to order from the wine list, you may be more satisfied, but you will spend some money getting there.

That all said, the HD6xx scales incredibly well. Many would say the HD650 (nee the HD6xx) is an end game headphone. I know lots of people with $10,000 in equipment (or more) to support their HD650. If you have an HD6xx, you may not ever need to get new headphones.

Hope this helps.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,779 of 4,141
We are veering way off topic here, so I will give my answer, then recommend you bring up larger, philosophical questions like the above in a separate thread, if you want to discuss further.

Audio as a hobby is just like any other hobby. If all you want to do is dabble a little, get a decent system that's better then your average person's system, and enjoy what you have and move on, an inexpensive system (like the fulla or Modi/Magni) will suffice. As you learn more about the subtleties of the hobby, you begin to want to fill small gaps in your system. You may become better trained to hear little things (like glare, wooliness, sibilance, definition, and more) that you were not able to hear when you first started. You then may want better equipment to produce the sound you prefer. This may lead you to sell your first system and get one "one notch up". You're happy for a while, then you get better at the hobby and you want to move "one notch up" again. That cycle can be very fun and rewarding to some, but also expensive. Some would argue, if you have the funds, just buy something that is 5 notches up from the start, and be done. The challenge with that is you have no way to know the intricate subtleties to help you get to the end game system from the start, so you dabble.

Just like every other hobby, the law of diminishing returns plays a part in this hobby. a $999 amp is not 10 times better than a $99 amp, but it's (likely) better. Even "better" is the wrong term. The $999 amp will sound different, and likely the only way to get that difference is to get that amp. Sometime there are objective measurements like power and distortion. Most times the differences between equipment are too subtle to measure, and the only way you can determine if you like it is to try it.

One cannot determine if a bottle of wine will be good simply by the label alone. One has to try varieties, and different years, and different regions, to develop a baseline for preference. That one can hone in on the flavors one prefers and how to get them. Also, you may want different wine depending on mood, other ingredients in the meal, location, or company. Music is similar.

Is the mangi all you need? Sure. It's the "House Red Wine". If you are happy with that, you save yourself a ton a money. If you have a more refined taste and are willing to order from the wine list, you may be more satisfied, but you will spend some money getting there.

That all said, the HD6xx scales incredibly well. Many would say the HD650 (nee the HD6xx) is an end game headphone. I know lots of people with $10,000 in equipment (or more) to support their HD650. If you have an HD6xx, you may not ever need to get new headphones.

Hope this helps.
great post.

I've only had my 6xx for a few days now and am legitimately stunned as to how good it really is. For $200USD it could easily be end game unless you actively want to get those extra notches.

I'm thoroughly impressed with how scalable it is. Sounds nice and full from my phone, then better with my idsd and better again from my home system. But unlike my aeons, it doesn't require an amp to sound pleasing. The aeons are detailed but empty without an amp, whereas the 6xx is the same... Just less, slightly.

I overall prefer the sound sigs of my 560's and aeons, but they're both much bulkier and source dependant. What a great all rounder the 6xx is already proving to be.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,780 of 4,141
great post.

I've only had my 6xx for a few days now and am legitimately stunned as to how good it really is. For $200USD it could easily be end game unless you actively want to get those extra notches.

I'm thoroughly impressed with how scalable it is. Sounds nice and full from my phone, then better with my idsd and better again from my home system. But unlike my aeons, it doesn't require an amp to sound pleasing. The aeons are detailed but empty without an amp, whereas the 6xx is the same... Just less, slightly.

I overall prefer the sound sigs of my 560's and aeons, but they're both much bulkier and source dependant. What a great all rounder the 6xx is already proving to be.

Having owned a pair of the HD650s a few years ago, the sound sig will change a bit as they run in, you've probably got quite a few hours to go yet :) They tend to open out and relax, sounding less tight as the drivers run in, you might find you love 'em even more. The most stunning results with them came from using a TRI TRV4SE valve preamp into a highly modded kit solid state amp, unfortunately I didn't own the preamp and never got those results again from any other combo I had to hand. The sheer level of wide stage and smoothly extended bass has left an indelible impression in me and I hope to recreate that experience or better when my own HD6XX arrive next year. I have a Magni 3 and Valhalla 2 with upgraded valves to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back