Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,647 of 4,141
Nov 22, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #3,648 of 4,141
So it's essentially like listening to normal speakers only closer to one's ear?
Aside from some muffling of the sound, yes. This is generally the case for open cans, but in the case of these Senns, they are very open with very little isolation. Some open cans have more isolation, but none are built to have efficient isolation, like closed cans. The reason for this is that headphones generally sound better the less they change your environment, a lot like speakers. The difference is that headphones don't sound good unless they are right next to your ear, unlike speakers, which are meant to sound good in a room. Headphones essentially create their own room.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #3,649 of 4,141
Aside from some muffling of the sound, yes. This is generally the case for open cans, but in the case of these Senns, they are very open with very little isolation. Some open cans have more isolation, but none are built to have efficient isolation, like closed cans. The reason for this is that headphones generally sound better the less they change your environment, a lot like speakers. The difference is that headphones don't sound good unless they are right next to your ear, unlike speakers, which are meant to sound good in a room. Headphones essentially create their own room.

Maybe it's just me, but I found the 6XX to have significantly less sound leakage than all my other open headphones (except the Sennheiser Game One, an open gaming headset that I believe is related to the HD598). Yes, there is a fair amount of leakage compared to a closed headphone, but it's a fraction of the HD700, which is my most open headphone. Also, unlike the HD700, Hifiman 400i, and Fidelio X2 (but again, like the Game Ones), when I cup my hands around the outside of the 6XX's earcups, there is virtually no discernible difference in sound quality. When I do this to the HD700s, they actually do sound a bit like tin cans.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,650 of 4,141
Shipping label generated 11/17, FedEx finally picked it up today 11/21, expected delivery 11/28... G to the m f G

Get any updates on your deliver? My page has not changed a bit since Tuesday.

I would assume that my order was picked up on Monday afternoon and then "received" at the plant at 6:47AM on Tuesday. Processing completed at 2:43PM. It is less than 400 miles to the Canadian border and not another update since? Apparently it hasn't even been passed over to the Canada Post yet. Geeze my last headphones came from Vancouver (almost 3,000 miles away) via Canada Post and took less time than this.
Maybe they will show up Monday with no notice?:wink:

Shane D

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,652 of 4,141
Congrats! When did your ship?

Shane D

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #3,655 of 4,141
Get any updates on your deliver? My page has not changed a bit since Tuesday.

I would assume that my order was picked up on Monday afternoon and then "received" at the plant at 6:47AM on Tuesday. Processing completed at 2:43PM. It is less than 400 miles to the Canadian border and not another update since? Apparently it hasn't even been passed over to the Canada Post yet. Geeze my last headphones came from Vancouver (almost 3,000 miles away) via Canada Post and took less time than this.
Maybe they will show up Monday with no notice?:wink:

Shane D
Still listing 11/28 delivery, and the last update showing “Sunday 4:36am, Barstow CA” which makes me wonder what time zone the fedex tracking page is using? It is 10:46pm Saturday Los Angeles time at the time of this post FYI

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #3,656 of 4,141
When I check my link through the email they sent me, it has not been updated since Tuesday.

Maybe you'll get yours tomorrow.

Shane D

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,658 of 4,141
You can hear everything around you and anyone within +-20 feet (depending on listening volume) will hear everything you hear.
True. Last night I did my Duolingo German lessons on my phone while wearing the 6XX and listening to music from my iPod through the 6XX. Not the optimal way to do it, but I had no problem hearing the lessons from my phone. So you definitely want a quiet place to use these headphones---but if you need a headphone that will give you plenty of awareness of what's going on outside (say if you need to listen for a child waking up), these fit the bill.

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,660 of 4,141
So it's essentially like listening to normal speakers only closer to one's ear?

Maybe it's just me, but I found the 6XX to have significantly less sound leakage than all my other open headphones (except the Sennheiser Game One, an open gaming headset that I believe is related to the HD598). Yes, there is a fair amount of leakage compared to a closed headphone, but it's a fraction of the HD700, which is my most open headphone. Also, unlike the HD700, Hifiman 400i, and Fidelio X2 (but again, like the Game Ones), when I cup my hands around the outside of the 6XX's earcups, there is virtually no discernible difference in sound quality. When I do this to the HD700s, they actually do sound a bit like tin cans.

They will sound more like speakers than a closed can.

I also found they leak less than other open backs and I can confirm lightly cupping my hand over one of the earcups has minimal effect to the sound unlike other open backs.

They leak more than closed backs though. In my office I can listen to music and sound outside is barely noticeable (I have to actively listen for it). I don’t think they are loud to others but my wife has supersonic hearing and can hear them from the living room unless I close the door to my office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back