Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,542 of 4,141
Have these on order and already thinking of changing cables. Should I peruse the 650 thread for solid recommendations or is there a specific 6XX mod thread up?

Too bad these won't ship until after Capital Audio fest to demo some amps...

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,543 of 4,141
Have these on order and already thinking of changing cables. Should I peruse the 650 thread for solid recommendations or is there a specific 6XX mod thread up?

Yeah. There's a lot of info in 650 mod thread and I don't think it's necessary to create another mod thread for 6xx.

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #3,544 of 4,141
Some time ago I tried the Massdrop/HiFiMan HE-350, which was a terrible headphone in so many ways, but in the stock pads it had a rich, warm, lush sound to it that I really liked. I've seen a lot of people describe the 6XX as rich and warm---is that headphone likely to get me in the neighborhood of the the HE-350 sound, or should I keep looking for something else that will get me there?

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #3,545 of 4,141
Some time ago I tried the Massdrop/HiFiMan HE-350, which was a terrible headphone in so many ways, but in the stock pads it had a rich, warm, lush sound to it that I really liked. I've seen a lot of people describe the 6XX as rich and warm---is that headphone likely to get me in the neighborhood of the the HE-350 sound, or should I keep looking for something else that will get me there?

In the realm of "rich and warm", you aren't likely to find a better headphone than the HD6XX anywhere near this price range.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,547 of 4,141
I have a question for the esteemed members of this thread (and long-time HD650 owners).

Now, I realize this is a bit of a ridiculous concern, but hey, that is the obsessive-compulsive nature of this hobby. I was lucky enough to get in on the original HD6XX drop. I am wondering if one of the ear pads I received is defective (not to mention there was chipped paint on the headband on arrival, but that is a different story). I've had these about 6 months, but noticed this after only about two months of regular use. The foam in the left pad has completely flatted out, so that the two pads are asymmetrical, leading to a somewhat uneven force on the head. It's like the foam in the pad has been rotated 90 degrees so it is sideways, but efforts to reorient it have failed. Did I get a defective pad, or do these really wear out in two months? Only asking because they are $50 for a new set (which is absurd, IMO).

Here is a pic, bad pad on the left.

20170812_111030.jpg

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,548 of 4,141
How ANYBODY could describe the he350 as rich, lush and warm is way beyond me! These sound a thousand times better than the he350 in every single way possible.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,549 of 4,141
I have a question for the esteemed members of this thread (and long-time HD650 owners).

Now, I realize this is a bit of a ridiculous concern, but hey, that is the obsessive-compulsive nature of this hobby. I was lucky enough to get in on the original HD6XX drop. I am wondering if one of the ear pads I received is defective (not to mention there was chipped paint on the headband on arrival, but that is a different story). I've had these about 6 months, but noticed this after only about two months of regular use. The foam in the left pad has completely flatted out, so that the two pads are asymmetrical, leading to a somewhat uneven force on the head. It's like the foam in the pad has been rotated 90 degrees so it is sideways, but efforts to reorient it have failed. Did I get a defective pad, or do these really wear out in two months? Only asking because they are $50 for a new set (which is absurd, IMO).

Thanks!

I would say you received a defective set. Mine came in pristine condition, and after using them for hours every day since they arrived, both pads seem fairly firm.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,550 of 4,141

Thanks!

Looks like a defective set. Mine is still firm and I use it almost everyday.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,551 of 4,141

I believe the he350 is the worst reviewed "massdrop made" headphone out there.

you should just buy the hd6xx when it redrops, cant go wrong with it. it's the best deal for $200.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #3,552 of 4,141
@PinkyPowers @ahmadfaizadnan Thanks for the replies, that is very irritating. Mine was an early model, within the first 300 off the line, makes me wonder if getting an earlier serial is actually a disadvantage. Probably not worth contacting Massdrop at this point, may have to just suck it up and buy a new set....sigh :triportsad:

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,553 of 4,141
@PinkyPowers @ahmadfaizadnan Thanks for the replies, that is very irritating. Mine was an early model, within the first 300 off the line, makes me wonder if getting an earlier serial is actually a disadvantage. Probably not worth contacting Massdrop at this point, may have to just suck it up and buy a new set....sigh :triportsad:

Someone suggested me to try the brainwavz hm5 velor pad and he said the bass is tighter and a tad better in soundstage but I never tried it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Memory-Replacements-Earpads-Headphones/dp/B00MFDX4YO

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,554 of 4,141

A new set of pads, only. You don't need new headphones, right?

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,555 of 4,141
A new set of pads, only. You don't need new headphones, right?

Right. I just contacted Massdrop support to see if they are willing to replace them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back