Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 3, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #3,092 of 4,141
Well here on headfi they shouldn't really be sold above what you paid for them. They don't last long on the classifieds either and people seem to be taking little or no loss on them.

There are some listed on eBay for over 300 but it's hard to know if people are actually paying that much.

Since they're not currently available on Massdrop, there might some argument for selling them at "market" prices even here on head-fi, which can be more than you paid for them, though I think you are supposed to own them 6 months before you do that, which wouldn't be the case now

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #3,093 of 4,141

Since they're not currently available on Massdrop, there might some argument for selling them at "market" prices even here on head-fi, which can be more than you paid for them, though I think you are supposed to own them 6 months before you do that, which wouldn't be the case now

Actually you cannot.  This is from the front page of the Head-fi classifieds,

NO COMMERCIAL OR OTHER FOR PROFIT SALES.
NO, YOU CAN'T SELL HEADPHONES FROM BLACK FRIDAY OR OTHER SALES FOR A PROFIT HERE.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #3,095 of 4,141

Actually you cannot.  This is from the front page of the Head-fi classifieds,

NO COMMERCIAL OR OTHER FOR PROFIT SALES.
NO, YOU CAN'T SELL HEADPHONES FROM BLACK FRIDAY OR OTHER SALES FOR A PROFIT HERE.

This is the section I'm talking about:

However, items purchased some months or years prior to the sale for private use, the market value for which has changed, can be sold at their current market value.  Examples of this would be the AKG K1000, vintage Grados such as the HP-1000/HP-2, the Stax Omega I, Sony R-10 and Qualia 010. However, items sold in discount sales, such as Amazon specials, cannot be sold at market value immediately afterwards, as this is definitely flipping. The acceptable length of ownership of an item before you can sell it at any price you want is 6 months.

Might be a bit of a gray area, but in my mind that rule suggests that after 6 months it might be acceptable to the HD6XX for the market value of any other HD650, if the 6XX are not available on Massdrop at the time. I think the assumption is if you wait 6 months, you're probably actually using them for personal use and not just flipping for a profit right after a sale. And if they're not on Massdrop at the time, market value would be comparable to an HD650

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,096 of 4,141
It would be silly to over pay for an Hd6xx... a bit more and you can just have a "the real" hd650.

I wouldn't feel good about paying more for one. But I can certainly understand someone who might. Rarity drives value. The HD6XX isn't just a "real" HD650, it's a Limited Edition HD650. :D

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #3,097 of 4,141
I wouldn't feel good about paying more for one. But I can certainly understand someone who might. Rarity drives value. The HD6XX isn't just a "real" HD650, it's a Limited Edition HD650. :D

I bought them with every intent to love them. Since I've bought the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony and Hifiman Edition X V2. I wasn't crazy about them against my Annies. It was one of those phones I always wanted to own. It just doesn't compete with the others I own. I have 6 over ear headphones right now! Time to thin the herd some. Only cans definitely staying are the Ebony and HEX V2.

At the same time, when I sell something, I want the price to be fair for both parties. I've never sold headphone gear, and now I have a ton of it I just don't need or use.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,100 of 4,141

The treble is definitely a lot quieter with the Sennheisers. Snare drums are barely audible in some cases.

This is an interesting thing to note. As a drummer I have been noticing this more and more with these headphones. I still enjoy them quite a bit, but for some reason I find certain snare and cymbal tones are almost missing from some of my songs. This is not the case at all with my he400i's or my DT880's (no surprise there!). But I did find your comment interesting when I first read it and have been listening for and experiencing similar.

Not a complaint from me at all, but an observation. The headphones are still wonderful in my opinion (I still need quite a bit more time with them though).

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,101 of 4,141
Massdrop request is now at 49,903. I really hope they do another drop soon 
L3000.gif

Also, for those who do have the HD650 or HD6XX or even the HD600, what would you recommend to be good portable amps to drive these cans? I understand that they would be best with desktop set ups, but I still would love the option of being able to lug them in the office or around the house. And no, I cannot bring a desktop set up to work 
atsmile.gif

Appreciate advise on this :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,102 of 4,141
Massdrop request is now at 49,903. I really hope they do another drop soon :L3000:

Also, for those who do have the HD650 or HD6XX or even the HD600, what would you recommend to be good portable amps to drive these cans? I understand that they would be best with desktop set ups, but I still would love the option of being able to lug them in the office or around the house. And no, I cannot bring a desktop set up to work :atsmile:

Appreciate advise on this :)
Portaphile micro, 627x, or leckerton audio uha6 mk.ii

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,104 of 4,141
Thanks @raybone0566
 what would you say are the biggest differences of these three? Am not very familiar with portaphile or leckerton. I was actually looking into xduoo xd-05 since I've heard they drive the HD650s well enough that they don't sound thin.
Haven't heard the xduoo, the portaphile a are powerful portables and probably the best option I've heard them on. Downside is rather low battery life & about 500.00. The leckerton is a great amp and is decent. But better imo than most anything else out here. Fiio is crap, cayin is meh. I'm a firm believer in a desktop amp but these are the only two that I'd recommend. Hate to see you spend your money on something that wouldnt do them justice.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,105 of 4,141

Also, for those who do have the HD650 or HD6XX or even the HD600, what would you recommend to be good portable amps to drive these cans?

I have following portable amp/DACs: XDuoo XD-05, Chord Mojo, Creative Sound Blaster E5 and HeadAmp Pico and my favorite one for HD6XX is HeadAmp Pico that was recently available on Massdrop for $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back