Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 23, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,417 of 4,141
  Ask her how many pairs of shoes she has and why.

Then duck...

Haha, I did, when I was trying to explain how headphones and shoes are similar. Luckily this was over text, so only eye roll emojis were thrown at me :D

These things have major clamping force by the way, but at the same time are extremely comfortable. Haven't had a ton of time to get some serious listening in with these yet, but so far they seem good. Haven't blown me away by any means, but they're good.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,418 of 4,141

From what I've read here, some people like a bass-heavy sound. That's why you find some headphone amps have a bass boost switch.

I do, too. My Stax are a little bass lean for me, the HD6XX are a little bass heavy for my taste. Definitely a popular sound, though! Definitely not insulting the Beats, my friends with the new ones like them a lot.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,420 of 4,141
I could deal with six feet. But four feet is too short for the setup I have.

Luckily, I bought the HD650 cable a few weeks ago for my 600s. Now they're plugged into the HD6XX, and all is well.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,421 of 4,141
Now that I've had these a few days, I got a few comments.

1. Coming from an HD598se, these sounds quite similar, but the 6XXs are more "full". In my opinion this highlights how amazing 598s are for ~$100 headphones

2. Midnight blue color is kind of a joke, they are black. There is only very specific lighting i can get the blue to pop out in.

3. Cable is too short. I've almost ripped my stack off my desk when my cable got caught under one of the arms and swiveled around. 

4. VERY TIGHT at first, gave me an instant headache. Stretched them out a bit and now they are very comfortable, still a bit on the tight side, but I'm sure that will go away. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,422 of 4,141
  Now that I've had these a few days, I got a few comments.

1. Coming from an HD598se, these sounds quite similar, but the 6XXs are more "full". In my opinion this highlights how amazing 598s are for ~$100 headphones

2. Midnight blue color is kind of a joke, they are black. There is only very specific lighting i can get the blue to pop out in.

3. Cable is too short. I've almost ripped my stack off my desk when my cable got caught under one of the arms and swiveled around. 

4. VERY TIGHT at first, gave me an instant headache. Stretched them out a bit and now they are very comfortable, still a bit on the tight side, but I'm sure that will go away. 

the hd 598 sounds similar to hd6xx?  your ears are broken buddy. lol.  598 has massive soundstage, this one has none basically. this one has insane slam/speed/bass in your face vocals, hd598 is complete opposite and has no bass basically.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,423 of 4,141
~::Loosening the clamp force of your HD600/650/6XX::~

Those of us familiar with this line of Sennheiser already know the following trick. Based on a few posts I've read, some of you do not. So enjoy.

If the clamping force of your HD6XX is tighter than you want, you can easily fix this.

Extend the metal sliders all the way out. ALL THE WAY OUT. Once extended, carefully grip them so that you only put force on the metal pieces, and bend them outward. DO NOT PUT PRESSURE ON THE PLASTIC HEADBAND. By fully extending the metal, you can avoid damaging the plastic parts. Bend them to a position of comfort, then readjust the extension of the sliders so they fit your particular melon once more. Profit!

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #2,424 of 4,141
  Also, minor update on the cable issue: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/613657

Finally MD! 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,425 of 4,141
Finally took my first baby steps into the audiophile world! Mine arrived yesterday and am loving them straight out of my iPod. Now on to a amp. I'm torn between a portable solid state or a tube... my heart wants tube but my logic says solid... any suggestions?

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,426 of 4,141
Finally took my first baby steps into the audiophile world! Mine arrived yesterday and am loving them straight out of my iPod. Now on to a amp. I'm torn between a portable solid state or a tube... my heart wants tube but my logic says solid... any suggestions?

These headphones sound best with some massive wattage being thrown at them. try to aim for at least 300-400mw at 300 ohms. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #2,427 of 4,141
  the hd 598 sounds similar to hd6xx?  your ears are broken buddy. lol.  598 has massive soundstage, this one has none basically. this one has insane slam/speed/bass in your face vocals, hd598 is complete opposite and has no bass basically.

Your comment is the reason I don't post here very much and why people don't like the audiophile community. Somebody doesn't agree with your point and you immediately jump to your "ears are broken". 

May be i don't know how to read graphs, but they look quite similar to me. Before you say it, yes the HD650 has more bass, but I wouldn't call it "insane". 

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,428 of 4,141

Your comment is the reason I don't post here very much and why people don't like the audiophile community. Somebody doesn't agree with your point and you immediately jump to your "ears are broken". 

May be i don't know how to read graphs, but they look quite similar to me. Before you say it, yes the HD650 has more bass, but I wouldn't call it "insane". 

i am not an elitist... but these cans are polar opposites... it just blows me away... the graph is wrong, there is no way in hell they are close to the same can... hd 598 open back has one of the best soundstages ever, and HD650 has none, HD650 has insane bass, HD598 has none... im not even talking about mionute differences most headphones have, im literally saying polar opposities... maybe my ears are different, i dunno w.e

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,429 of 4,141
The graph is wrong?

LOL make me laugh harder

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,430 of 4,141
Graphs do not show sound stage only frequency response.

Everyones hearing and how each persons brain interprets the sound stage is different.

I doubt others ears are broken....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back