Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 22, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #2,326 of 4,141
So I just got my pair, and I gotta say I am impressed. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel as if they have a slight echo which make my head resonate with magnificence. I own the X1's, X2's, TH-X00, EL-8's, LCD 2's, and even the LCD 3's (10 times the price!) and the HD6XX is my favorite. 
[/quote
So you just got these and you're saying that you already favor them over the LCD3's? (which I own) You can tell that in the hour or so you've been listening? How much "critical listening" could you have done to come to that conclusion so quickly? Not trying to be confrontational but I just got mine today and really could never make an informed opinion in that amount of time...

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,327 of 4,141
  One of the things about the 6xx's (and presumably 650's, as I assume that performance wise they are the same) that I absolutely can not get over about them is how they seemingly have no pain threshold when it comes to volume.

I can just keep turning them up, and they just oblige with ever increasing levels of enveloping sounds that are never harsh and never make me cringe.

Total opposite of my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's.

Be careful, this can be a very bad thing. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #2,328 of 4,141
I'm amping these with an Objective2 (and a very good DAC) and I prefer my DT1350 and far prefer my Stax for good recordings.

Am I doing it wrong? I almost can't believe how bad they sound, but they do even out my Spotify library in a nice, recessed, boring way. I'm trying to convince myself to keep them because the Stax distract me with their detail and the DT1350 are on ear close (uncomfortable).
I've heard the O2 isn't a very good pairing for these. They sound great with my Gilmore lite, but so do my HD600s, so I expected that. If you can swing it, I would look into a cheap tube amp like the Vali.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,330 of 4,141
So should I go with a Vali 2/Modi multibit or just get a Jotunheim with the balanced DAC card installed? The price difference isn't that big, like $80. This is going to be my end game desktop setup (I know people always say that, but it's true!)

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,332 of 4,141
So far I'm actually not very impressed with the HD6XX. It's been over a year since I had my HD650, but I remember it being more appealing to me. It may also be that with the HE-6 and TH-X00 EB I now have my types of sound satisfied.

As of now, I'm much preferring the TH-X00 EB over the HD6XX. The HD6XX is very smooth sounding, but is perhaps too laid back for me. I remember guitars in metal and rock being very engaging with an upfront, crunchy presentation with the HD6XX. However, compared to their presentation on the TH-X00 EB, they don't seem that way now.

I am going to hang on to it until I can at least try out some sort of tube amp with it. Maybe feeding my poweramp a tube pre amp will help bring out the magic. Maybe with some more head time they will become more appealing as well.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #2,333 of 4,141

So you just got these and you're saying that you already favor them over the LCD3's? (which I own) You can tell that in the hour or so you've been listening? How much "critical listening" could you have done to come to that conclusion so quickly? Not trying to be confrontational but I just got mine today and really could never make an informed opinion in that amount of time...

Well you're right that I've only had them for a few hours, but when you spend thousands of dollars and countless hours looking for something, you know when you find it. That being said, I'm not saying they're better than the LCD3's. I just prefer the sound more from these. Like comparing a Miata to a Mercedes S class, the S class is an objectively better car both in terms of utility and power, but some would rather have the Miata.

I just find it humorous comparing what I have spent on some headphones to what turned out to be my favorite headphone.  

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #2,334 of 4,141
Well you're right that I've only had them for a few hours, but when you spend thousands of dollars and countless hours looking for something, you know when you find it. That being said, I'm not saying they're better than the LCD3's. I just prefer the sound more from these. Like comparing a Miata to a Mercedes S class, the S class is an objectively better car both in terms of utility and power, but some would rather have the Miata.

I just find it humorous comparing what I have spent on some headphones to what turned out to be my favorite headphone.  
I've taken this route as well an owned quite a few totl phones.none have given me the level of enjoyment the 650's have. I much more interested in totl amps to see how far I can take these.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,335 of 4,141
  THEY CAME IN THE MORNING ON THE EXTRA USPS CARS.

I was literally going to take a shower and thought "I've been getting some packages recently quite early - maybe the 6XX will be the same."  Literally 10 seconds later, my watch buzzes and it turns out someone's at the door.

Serial #3249 checking in.

I have to go meet some friends for lunch, but I couldn't resist a quick listen.  So far, I'm very happy!  SHP9500 aint got nothin on this.

I'm located in the Bay Area, btw.  Didn't expect the delivery date to be bumped to 2 days earlier overnight.

shp-9500 with my hm5 leather pads sounders better to me than hd6xx. i know most agree with me, just that extra soundstage and the legendary imaging the 9500 has, throw in those pads, it helps the bass some, and boom heaven.  well at least for me, audio is subjective though

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,336 of 4,141

Gotcha... Although I don't know anyone in my world that would prefer a Miata over a Mercedes S class, although I do know quite a few people who would say they preferred the Miata when the reality is they just can't afford the S Class. :) 
Either way different strokes...

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,338 of 4,141
I've taken this route as well an owned quite a few totl phones.none have given me the level of enjoyment the 650's have. I much more interested in totl amps to see how far I can take these.

Kinda the opposite of my thinking... I would put headphones in front of everything, then DAC, Amp etc...

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,340 of 4,141
My HD6XX just arrived yesterday! A bit earlier than expected actually! It was supposed to come in by Christmas Eve, but a las it has arrived! So far the headphone is great. Definitely a different sound to my HD800, but I like the extra bass and warmth added to a lot of the songs I listen to. I have to do a lot more listening on this headphone to break them in, but my first impressions are great so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back