Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 21, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,311 of 4,141
  What would be more beneficial with these headphones - a balanced amp, like a Schiit Jotunheim, or a tube amp?  I can't justify spending the cash on a balanced tube amp like a Mjolnir. 

Save you money, get a simple amp. They aren't that difficult to drive. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,313 of 4,141
I'm still trying to decide on the Sparkos or Bursons for mine.

I read a few reviews for each and the Sparkos just stood out to me. Now honestly the price difference is pretty large, but not a consideration for me. I didn't want to roll OP amps, just grab the best I could find and be done. I found a few reviews where the Sparkos were compared to a handful of others, and each time they won out, usually by a considerable margin.

Definitely contact Andrew through the contact page. He answers the emails. Great guy and ridiculously good customer service. I wish all companies were like him.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,314 of 4,141
Anyone else still not received a shipping notice yet? I'm starting to wonder if the ran out of them or something.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,315 of 4,141
So I just got my pair, and I gotta say I am impressed. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel as if they have a slight echo which make my head resonate with magnificence. I own the X1's, X2's, TH-X00, EL-8's, LCD 2's, and even the LCD 3's (10 times the price!) and the HD6XX is my favorite. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,318 of 4,141
What would be more beneficial with these headphones - a balanced amp, like a Schiit Jotunheim, or a tube amp?  I can't justify spending the cash on a balanced tube amp like a Mjolnir. 
Don't have balanced cables yet but I don't think that will make a significant impact to be honest but will have to wait and say for sure. Right now I think they sound best out of my Amps and Sound Kenzie with the Bottlehead Crack being not far behind. Just because something isn't too hard to drive doesn't mean it sounds good because it can get loud. These will respond very good to tubes.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #2,320 of 4,141
I read a few reviews for each and the Sparkos just stood out to me. Now honestly the price difference is pretty large, but not a consideration for me. I didn't want to roll OP amps, just grab the best I could find and be done. I found a few reviews where the Sparkos were compared to a handful of others, and each time they won out, usually by a considerable margin.

Definitely contact Andrew through the contact page. He answers the emails. Great guy and ridiculously good customer service. I wish all companies were like him.

I think I recognize you from the X7 thread. Please post your impressions of the new op amps before and after installation. I'm like you, I don't want to play the rolling game, I want to upgrade once and that's it. If the sparkos really are a huge step up then I have no choice but to get them too.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #2,321 of 4,141
I think I recognize you from the X7 thread. Please post your impressions of the new op amps before and after installation. I'm like you, I don't want to play the rolling game, I want to upgrade once and that's it. If the sparkos really are a huge step up then I have no choice but to get them too.

I will. I'm hoping to get some quiet time soon. May not be until next year, but that's not far away now.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,322 of 4,141
I'm amping these with an Objective2 (and a very good DAC) and I prefer my DT1350 and far prefer my Stax for good recordings.

Am I doing it wrong? I almost can't believe how bad they sound, but they do even out my Spotify library in a nice, recessed, boring way. I'm trying to convince myself to keep them because the Stax distract me with their detail and the DT1350 are on ear close (uncomfortable).

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2,323 of 4,141
One of the things about the 6xx's (and presumably 650's, as I assume that performance wise they are the same) that I absolutely can not get over about them is how they seemingly have no pain threshold when it comes to volume.

I can just keep turning them up, and they just oblige with ever increasing levels of enveloping sounds that are never harsh and never make me cringe.

Total opposite of my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2,324 of 4,141
Would the Fiio A5 or Cayin c5 be a good pairing?

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #2,325 of 4,141
I know my DACport slim is rated to drive 600 ohm cans. It puts 450mw into 32 ohms, don't know bout 300 ohms. I also have the Magni 2 which definitely has enough kick. At any rate, they're due in tomorrow so I'll let you know.

The actual DACport Slim stated power output is:
Output power (preliminary):
16Ω: 250mW max, per channel
32Ω: 225mW max, per channel
300Ω: 52mW, max, per channel
Jitter: Below 1ps.

Not sure how much power my HD puts out compared to it, though.

I can run the HD 6XX to my listening volume level on low gain just fine.  Only have to turn the knob 40% of the way or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back