Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,486 of 4,141
Did Massdrop ever state when we should expect an update?  On previous Massdrops I've participated in, I got weekly or bi-weekly status updates detailing when the product was going to be shipped from the manufacturer, etc.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,488 of 4,141
  I need someone to make 650 plugs to 2.5mm adapters, so I don't have to keep multiple cables on my desk 

2.5mm?  Like an old Nokia cell phone or similar?  Curious of the application.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #1,489 of 4,141

Probably for the balanced output of a DAP.

There's adapters available. Search for 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm adapter. Make sure it's a 4 pole connection on the adapter.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,490 of 4,141
Interesting.  Strange they would use such a tiny connector with more robust connectors available.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,491 of 4,141
That is a tricky one. I can make a cable that detaches at the Y split?

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,492 of 4,141

There's adapters available. Search for 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm adapter. Make sure it's a 4 pole connection on the adapter.

If you plug a 3.5mm TRS jack into a 2.5mm TRRS adapter, and connect it to the Balanced Output of your DAP, you will very likely fry your DAP.

You can go Balanced to Single-ended, but never Single-ended to Balanced. That will short the negative channels together and cause damage.

If you want to use Balanced, you must build/buy a balanced cable.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,493 of 4,141
Did Massdrop ever state when we should expect an update?  On previous Massdrops I've participated in, I got weekly or bi-weekly status updates detailing when the product was going to be shipped from the manufacturer, etc.
Yea I too would like to find out when its going to be time to drive to niagra falls to pick up my package lol

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,497 of 4,141
It's a bit more than the Vail 2, but I'm looking forward to using my Centrance HiFi-M8 4XL with the ZY HiFi 4-pin XLR cable with the HD-6XX.

The Hifi M8 sounds awesome. But don't go for it if you want balanced. It only has balanced connections, it's not a balanced amp. Besides that CEntrance acknowledged that already, you can see that the power output balanced and single ended is the same, usually balanced has way more output power in a true balanced amp than single ended.

I can recommend the ifi iDSD micro and Cayin C5 to work exceptionally well with the 650. Desktop wise, Liquid Carbon and BH Crack. Going balanced does help to a certain point but I didn't feel it making such a great difference with the 650 once you reach a certain power level. Maybe some slight soundstage improvements.....

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,498 of 4,141

If you plug a 3.5mm TRS jack into a 2.5mm TRRS adapter, and connect it to the Balanced Output of your DAP, you will very likely fry your DAP.

You can go Balanced to Single-ended, but never Single-ended to Balanced. That will short the negative channels together and cause damage.

If you want to use Balanced, you must build/buy a balanced cable.

I want something like this, but not for the same price as the headphone itself lol

https://www.surfcables.com/products/package-deals?variant=27429524291

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #1,499 of 4,141
100 pages in less than 4 weeks, impressive... I am eagerly waiting HD6XX and then i will sale my stock HD650 !

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,500 of 4,141
The Hifi M8 sounds awesome. But don't go for it if you want balanced. It only has balanced connections, it's not a balanced amp. Besides that CEntrance acknowledged that already, you can see that the power output balanced and single ended is the same, usually balanced has way more output power in a true balanced amp than single ended.

I can recommend the ifi iDSD micro and Cayin C5 to work exceptionally well with the 650. Desktop wise, Liquid Carbon and BH Crack. Going balanced does help to a certain point but I didn't feel it making such a great difference with the 650 once you reach a certain power level. Maybe some slight soundstage improvements.....

Cheers.

I second the iFi iDSD Micro (the new Black Label). Tested it out with a HD650 (waiting for HD6XX) and it's more than sufficient to drive it well.

The 3D+ effect is an ear opener as it did bring out some of the details in my tracks that I listened to. Some will find it gimmicky, but I thought it does have it's use in certain situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back