Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #301 of 4,141
Indeed, Pedro, hope all is well.

The e12 is as powerful as the C5 - so power won't be missing. I found the e12 to have a bit less soundstage but overall still really good match with the 650 - you will hear improvements with a powerful and good desktop amps for sure - but it certainly makes the 650 already sound really good. The 650 scale really well with great amps - so there will always be something better on the horizon. Jotunheim, H10, Bottlehead Crack, etc.

Cheers!

As you know we are both momentum anf hd25 lovers.....Do you think i will like the hd600 koolpep? Do you think they will suffice for punk rock and some trance?
I was offered a deal this week.... 70 euros plus my hd598 (wich costed me 70 euros) for a half year old hd600.... Worth it?

Basically i am getting a hd600 for 140 euros....

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #302 of 4,141
So is the HD650 a god in terms of entry level audiophile with flat response? Right now I have the v-moda m100 which I know arent really audiophile cans, but they do sound very "fun" and I really enjoy their sound, particularly the bass response. What should I expect in terms of sound if I buy the HD6XX? I saw the freq response graphs but I'm not familiar with them

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #304 of 4,141
Email beyerdynamic. They sell directly or through authorized dealers too. Modding it into detachable cables and velour and even balanced connection isn't all that hard. Yes, final cost will reach $190. But, if I were you, I would order DT-150. One sexy soundstage and very balanced output with lovely bass presence. Amping is very essential, though. Not for portable use.

Wouldn't modding it void the warranty?

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #305 of 4,141
So is the HD650 a god in terms of entry level audiophile with flat response? Right now I have the v-moda m100 which I know arent really audiophile cans, but they do sound very "fun" and I really enjoy their sound, particularly the bass response. What should I expect in terms of sound if I buy the HD6XX? I saw the freq response graphs but I'm not familiar with them

I wouldn't call them flat. Maybe with a high end amp, but through all the gear I tested with them, I felt the treble response was lacking. I imagine it appears with the right gear. I settled on the hd600's because I am a drummer and wanted to hear the cymbal clearly when listening to jazz: It wasn't present enough with the 650's. However the sound of the 650's are pretty magical and addictive. Just couldn't justify keeping both. It's an age old conversation. Hd650 vs 600. Depends on what you want to hear/feel. I like more detail (and bass) so I have hd600's with a cardas cable. Very happy with the results. Although I feel the 650's are not so accurate, they sure made me feel good when I listened to them. They seem to tap into the intangibility factor of all this for sure. Now they are cheap enough to try both!

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #306 of 4,141
I wouldn't call them flat. Maybe with a high end amp, but through all the gear I tested with them, I felt the treble response was lacking. I imagine it appears with the right gear. I settled on the hd600's because I am a drummer and wanted to hear the cymbal clearly when listening to jazz: It wasn't present enough with the 650's. However the sound of the 650's are pretty magical and addictive. Just couldn't justify keeping both. It's an age old conversation. Hd650 vs 600. Depends on what you want to hear/feel. I like more detail (and bass) so I have hd600's with a cardas cable. Very happy with the results. Although I feel the 650's are not so accurate, they sure made me feel good when I listened to them. They seem to tap into the intangibility factor of all this for sure. Now they are cheap enough to try both!

Really nice review. It seems to be a nice summary of the pros and cons of various reviews I've read. 

Now I'm hedging on the mass drops. I tend to get frustrated with headphones that don't provide a bit of treble lift. I can usually EQ them, but there's no guarantee that I'll be happy with the results.

I'm still leaning towards buying. I'm more or less confident that I can flip them without losing much money if I'm not thrilled. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #308 of 4,141
ID100,

I had originally considered the Jot+Dac for $399 + $100 = $499, but the Schiit Modi Multibit DAC is only $150 more in total @ $249 and appears to be held in good regards here @ Head-Fi.  I am looking for a solid Amp/DAC value, and the Jotunheim/Modi Multibit (Mimby) seem to be the current bang-for-the-buck champs.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #309 of 4,141
Can anyone here that owns a Schiit Fulla test it with the HD650, I am curious if it does a decent enough job if I am hanging outside my dorm closed back isn't necessary, and if I am on tablet or laptop or something relaxing, be nice to be portable.

I own the Fulla, is reason I am asking.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #310 of 4,141
Excellent dacs are at least Auralic Vega, Schiit Gumby/Yggy, Rockna Wavedream, Chord HugoTT/Dave, MSB, Audio Note and etc.
This internal Jodies DAC is more for convinience, but not for frequent goose bumps :)
Its not very good because its tonality is cold and overall sound signature is laid-back. Mid-upper bass (80-250hz) lacks in quantity and energy. Highs are not so transparent and feels rough (not harsh). Not so involving... 
Is this meant as a joke? Chord DAVE is like $13k. For a $200 dollar pair of headphones? U must be joking

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #311 of 4,141
Is this meant as a joke? Chord DAVE is like $13k. For a $200 dollar pair of headphones? U must be joking
Does it have to be a certain headphone then. What's the difference between matching the Dave with the 650 or the 800? I own both by the way & prefer the 650.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #312 of 4,141

Expensive doesn't mean better. Wasn't referring to the DAVE exactly but in the pricing of headphones. In most cases yes but in some cases no. Like for me I prefer the LCD-X over the LCD-3. But then again be reminded that this $200 dollar pair of headphone you're talking about is rather similar to the HD650 yo

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #314 of 4,141
  Can anyone here that owns a Schiit Fulla test it with the HD650, I am curious if it does a decent enough job if I am hanging outside my dorm closed back isn't necessary, and if I am on tablet or laptop or something relaxing, be nice to be portable.

I own the Fulla, is reason I am asking.

The Fulla does quite well - it was this pairing that brought me back into the hobby.

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #315 of 4,141

It's not a $200 pair of headphones, it's a $400 pair you are getting for $200. And as Jude said in his preview, he felt it was under-priced even at $500.

The pricing of things is chaos and often unfathomable. Items tend to go for the price they'll sell at, nothing more. It's not a good metric for discerning quality. Personal experience and consulting the experience of unbiased third-parties will lead you on a straighter path.

I own the HD600, and its capacity increases tremendously on better and better DACs and Amps. If the 650 is anything like it, I expect it'll scale well on TOTL gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back