Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 5, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #286 of 4,141
I've been waiting for a good sale on the 32 Ohm DT990 or DT770s because I'm not wanting to buy an amp. If I'm running these from my receiver (Denon 1913) would they be fine?

If so, you should also consider the limited edition all-black series: 770/880/990 are available on Amazon for $200 average. Beautiful looks. ALSO, a rare release of DT 770 with 16ohm impedance too is available on Amazon - more easily driven than even the 32ohm version.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #289 of 4,141
I have the Cayin C5 and my HD650 sounds as good as it gets with a portable amp with this little but powerful amp - you are in for a treat, they sound really, really good together.

I can blindly recommend this setup. It does get better with a proper desktop amp of course...

Cheers!

Hey there koolpep! :D
Long time no see....

I am going to get a pair of hd600s this weekend... I only have a fiio e12 right now.... Will that be enough to drive them and make them sound as they should?

Cheers

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #291 of 4,141

It's probably because you have never heard the HD650 with a good amp.

Hmm...probably right. But I think I would still enjoy the HD600 better with a good amp. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #293 of 4,141

I'm afraid the receiver is probably not good enough.

Damn. I may just buy them but have something like the Fiio e10k sitting in my amazon cart and play it by ear. Thanks for the response.

If so, you should also consider the limited edition all-black series: 770/880/990 are available on Amazon for $200 average. Beautiful looks. ALSO, a rare release of DT 770 with 16ohm impedance too is available on Amazon - more easily driven than even the 32ohm version.

Yeah, the 16ohm version went down to $130 for a week or so. I'm kinda regretting not jumping on it. My main hesitation with them was the fixed wire and then the extra 30 bones for the velour pads (a requirement of mine).

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #294 of 4,141
Damn. I may just buy them but have something like the Fiio e10k sitting in my amazon cart and play it by ear. Thanks for the response.

Yeah, the 16ohm version went down to $130 for a week or so. I'm kinda regretting not jumping on it. My main hesitation with them was the fixed wire and then the extra 30 bones for the velour pads (a requirement of mine).

Email beyerdynamic. They sell directly or through authorized dealers too. Modding it into detachable cables and velour and even balanced connection isn't all that hard. Yes, final cost will reach $190. But, if I were you, I would order DT-150. One sexy soundstage and very balanced output with lovely bass presence. Amping is very essential, though. Not for portable use.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #295 of 4,141
Could you explain why it has to be good? Trusted ears who have actually heard it say other wise.

Can you point me to where you see that? To the contrary I read a few reviews that clearly says it is excellent. 

Also simply based on Shiit reputation and track record I would be very surprised if they new 'main bread & butter  offering had a good amp paired with horrible dac. Just common sense.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #296 of 4,141
Hey there koolpep! :D
Long time no see....

I am going to get a pair of hd600s this weekend... I only have a fiio e12 right now.... Will that be enough to drive them and make them sound as they should?

Cheers

Indeed, Pedro, hope all is well.

The e12 is as powerful as the C5 - so power won't be missing. I found the e12 to have a bit less soundstage but overall still really good match with the 650 - you will hear improvements with a powerful and good desktop amps for sure - but it certainly makes the 650 already sound really good. The 650 scale really well with great amps - so there will always be something better on the horizon. Jotunheim, H10, Bottlehead Crack, etc.

Cheers!

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #297 of 4,141

Can you point me to where you see that? To the contrary I read a few reviews that clearly says it is excellent. 

Also simply based on Shiit reputation and track record I would be very surprised if they new 'main bread & butter  offering had a good amp paired with horrible dac. Just common sense.

Excellent dacs are at least Auralic Vega, Schiit Gumby/Yggy, Rockna Wavedream, Chord HugoTT/Dave, MSB, Audio Note and etc.
This internal Jodies DAC is more for convinience, but not for frequent goose bumps :)
Its not very good because its tonality is cold and overall sound signature is laid-back. Mid-upper bass (80-250hz) lacks in quantity and energy. Highs are not so transparent and feels rough (not harsh). Not so involving... 

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #300 of 4,141
  Excellent dacs are at least Auralic Vega, Schiit Gumby/Yggy, Rockna Wavedream, Chord HugoTT/Dave, MSB, Audio Note and etc.
This internal Jodies DAC is more for convinience, but not for frequent goose bumps :)
Its not very good because its tonality is cold and overall sound signature is laid-back. Mid-upper bass (80-250hz) lacks in quantity and energy. Highs are not so transparent and feels rough (not harsh). Not so involving... 

But significantly more money right? Are we comparing apples and oranges?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back