Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,691 of 4,141
First observation:
Seem fine for current hit songs and not doing bad for Florence and the Machine.

I reach back to a long-time favourite called Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd. ALAC file.
The vocals are recessed to the point where I have to concentrate to hear them? The rest of the music is nice and loud but the vocals sound like they're playing in another room?

I flip over to the Grado's and it sounds wonderful.

I know it's WAY too early to judge and it took me a few months to like my Grado's, but if the vocals aren't front and centre in a piece that is all about the vocals, what's the point??

Back to listening.

Shane D

I purchased a stock replacement Sennheiser HD 600/650 SE cable last year and never bothered using it until yesterday when my HD6XX arrived. I prefer the longer stock cable with the 1/4" plug over the cable that came with the HD6XX so I decided that I would use it instead. I'll run in both the HD6XX and the stock replacement cable at the same time.

Today I have been sneaking brief listens as I run in my HD6XX and doing quick comparisons with my HD650's. It's still too early to do any serious comparisons but the HD6XX sound ever so slightly clearer in the high frequencies but the bass seems a tad lighter but also tighter. By comparison the HD650 sounds slightly warmer overall.

I don't have a large (aka...fat) head so I never really understood the clamping complaints that many head-fiers have reported, however the HD6XX is definitely tighter fitting than my 3-4 year old HD650. Upon closer examination it appears that my ear pads have flattened out a tiny bit. Also the openings are perfect on my 650's but the pads on the 6XX are a bit more confining. Maybe I need to think about replacing my old ear pads. Funny how over time they do flatten out, even for people that have slimmer melons.

There is no mistaking that the HD6XX sounds very very close to the HD650. It's only my ability to quick swap the headphones (my Lake People G109S has 2 headphone outputs) that allows me to detect any differences. I'll check more closely later next week.

The HD650/6XX has an entirely different sound signature from the Grado's. I suspect you are very accustomed to the Grado sound and most likely find the Sennheiser sound very different from what you're used to. My suggestion to you is to put your Grado's away for a while and allow your brain to adjust to the Sennheiser sound. In time you will really appreciate the HD6XX.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,692 of 4,141
I have a gigantic bean but find them very comfortable. The B&W P5's used to cause me physical pain.

Shane D

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #3,693 of 4,141
First observation:
Seem fine for current hit songs and not doing bad for Florence and the Machine.

I reach back to a long-time favourite called Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd. ALAC file.
The vocals are recessed to the point where I have to concentrate to hear them? The rest of the music is nice and loud but the vocals sound like they're playing in another room?

I flip over to the Grado's and it sounds wonderful.

I know it's WAY too early to judge and it took me a few months to like my Grado's, but if the vocals aren't front and centre in a piece that is all about the vocals, what's the point??

Back to listening.

Shane D

You may have a problem with your headphones. My HD6XX is not that hard to drive. Yes, they are better with a powerful amp but I get decent sound straight out of my iPhone 6s. I haven’t heard any music where vocals are recessed or sound like they are in a different room than the instruments. I’m really enjoying the tonality, clarity, and resolution of these headphones. The only thing I can think of that would be an improvement is a bigger soundstage but I’m ok with the more intimate presentation. Overall they are great for my tastes.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #3,694 of 4,141
The vocals sounding like they were in another room were incorrect. It must have been the way my head was leaning against the cushion.

The vocals do seem a little recessed to me, certainly not as forward as the Grado's. Overall the sound is "cleaner than the Grado's but not as "full". I don't know if that is considered soundstage or not.

I have to disagree on the power requirements. I tested the HD650's this past summer and they were unusable with an iPod and nothing special with a Sony DAP or my Note 4. After like ten minutes I gave up on them.
The MassDrop gave me them for just over half price and I bought an amp with them in mind. They NEED high gain and and a good turn of the volume knob to match the Oppo PM3'S and Grado SR325E.
And I do not listen loud.

I bought them because so many people had referred to them as legendary and being one of the standards.

I will spend the next few months comparing my "big three".

Shane D

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,695 of 4,141
I'm looking for a good comparison between this headphone and Audeze Sine. Can't find one. Yep, open back vs. close back, I realize that. Aside from that major difference, how do they compare?

Net is that I'm very happy with my Sine, and I'm trying to decide if I should drop $199 for these 6xx or not. A different sound is good and welcome. But if overall the 6xx is inferior, I'm afraid I'll be wasting $199...

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,696 of 4,141
I purchased a stock replacement Sennheiser HD 600/650 SE cable last year and never bothered using it until yesterday when my HD6XX arrived. I prefer the longer stock cable with the 1/4" plug over the cable that came with the HD6XX so I decided that I would use it instead. I'll run in both the HD6XX and the stock replacement cable at the same time.

Today I have been sneaking brief listens as I run in my HD6XX and doing quick comparisons with my HD650's. It's still too early to do any serious comparisons but the HD6XX sound ever so slightly clearer in the high frequencies but the bass seems a tad lighter but also tighter. By comparison the HD650 sounds slightly warmer overall.

I don't have a large (aka...fat) head so I never really understood the clamping complaints that many head-fiers have reported, however the HD6XX is definitely tighter fitting than my 3-4 year old HD650. Upon closer examination it appears that my ear pads have flattened out a tiny bit. Also the openings are perfect on my 650's but the pads on the 6XX are a bit more confining. Maybe I need to think about replacing my old ear pads. Funny how over time they do flatten out, even for people that have slimmer melons.

There is no mistaking that the HD6XX sounds very very close to the HD650. It's only my ability to quick swap the headphones (my Lake People G109S has 2 headphone outputs) that allows me to detect any differences. I'll check more closely later next week.

Alright so I now have about 100 hours of continuous play on my HD6XX's. I did several quick listens over the last number of days during this run-in period and I have to say that I hadn't noticed any significant changes in the sound of the HD6XX.

After doing a more detailed comparison between both headphones I still find my pair of HD6XX's to be a slightly clearer sounding headphone in the upper midrange and high frequencies than the HD650. My HD650 sounds a tad smoother and subdued up top. To me the bass on my HD650 sounds slightly deeper but less tight when compared to my HD6XX. So my initial assessment (see above) remains unchanged. I would also like to point out that I measured the volume of both headphones with a Radio Shack 33-2055 Sound Level Meter and both headphones were outputting pretty much equal 62-66 dB levels of music driven by my Lake People G-109S headphone amp.

I was wondering if the slight flattening of the ear pads on my HD650 might be contributing to the difference in sound so I swapped the ear pads between both headphones. As a result I did notice that the HD650 did brighten up somewhat bringing it slightly closer to the what I was originally hearing from the HD6XX. So new ear pads on the HD650 definitely helps however the HD6XX is still more detailed sounding, even with my old ear pads on them. Let's put it this way, the ear pad swap made both headphones sound closer to one another but the comparative differences described above still remain but to a much lesser degree.

So ear pads do have an impact on the sound, surprisingly so. I checked with Sennheiser Canada, as well as, with a local retailer and new ear pads are going to cost me $60 plus 13% tax. I'm finding that to be awfully pricey for a bit of plastic, foam and velour. I think instead I might consider a Dekoni ear pad whenever there is another Massdrop offer. I believe it will end up being slightly cheaper, hopefully equal to or better sounding and longer lasting than Sennheiser's own replacement pads.

Incidentally the sales person at my local retail store mentioned to me that he was informed by the rep at Sennheiser Canada that the HD650 are going to be discontinued. When I checked their website it shows that they are OUT OF STOCK.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,697 of 4,141
I'm looking for a good comparison between this headphone and Audeze Sine. Can't find one. Yep, open back vs. close back, I realize that. Aside from that major difference, how do they compare?

Net is that I'm very happy with my Sine, and I'm trying to decide if I should drop $199 for these 6xx or not. A different sound is good and welcome. But if overall the 6xx is inferior, I'm afraid I'll be wasting $199...

I own both the Sine and the 6XX. 6XX is an upgrade over Sine in almost every way, which is expected, since one is a mobile can, while the other is more suitable for powerful desktop amplifiers with excellent scalability. Provided you use an appropriate amp, expect the soundstage to expand in all directions. Bass is significantly more in quantity, and the vocals have more weight in them. But, please do your research and get a decent amp, preferably a tube amp that can drive these phones with authority, and when you take the cost of the amp into account, you will notice that the net investment becomes more than $199.

One advantage with Sine is, it has the cipher cable which produces decent sound when used with an iphone, so that one doesn't have to carry an extra amp. No such luck with the 6XX.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,698 of 4,141
I own both the Sine and the 6XX. 6XX is an upgrade over Sine in almost every way, which is expected, since one is a mobile can, while the other is more suitable for powerful desktop amplifiers with excellent scalability. Provided you use an appropriate amp, expect the soundstage to expand in all directions. Bass is significantly more in quantity, and the vocals have more weight in them. But, please do your research and get a decent amp, preferably a tube amp that can drive these phones with authority, and when you take the cost of the amp into account, you will notice that the net investment becomes more than $199.

One advantage with Sine is, it has the cipher cable which produces decent sound when used with an iphone, so that one doesn't have to carry an extra amp. No such luck with the 6XX.

Good feedback, thanks! I'm currently rocking a Fiio X3 2nd gen as my source. Looks like impedance range tops out at 150 ohm, so not the 300 the 6xx want. My Sine's sound fine on high gain, but their drive ability requirement is much lower.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #3,699 of 4,141

What is the best bang-for-your-buck amp (tube or otherwise) in your, or any and everyone else's, opinion for the HD6XX?

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,700 of 4,141
What is the best bang-for-your-buck amp (tube or otherwise) in your, or any and everyone else's, opinion for the HD6XX?

Massdrop’s O2 amp or Schiit Magni 3, both under 100$. You can’t beat them on a best bang for buck Basis. The choice between the two is mostly a question of personal opinion, but both are quite capable and worth the title.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,701 of 4,141
Good feedback, thanks! I'm currently rocking a Fiio X3 2nd gen as my source. Looks like impedance range tops out at 150 ohm, so not the 300 the 6xx want. My Sine's sound fine on high gain, but their drive ability requirement is much lower.

For the Fiio line, the K5 should have reasonable power to drive the 6XX.

The widely recommended amp for the 650/6XX is the Bottlehead Crack with speedball, obtainable for about $400 used, or similar amount, if you are willing to build yourself. Other amps include the darkvoice 336se or the Little dot MKII/III. These are considered some of the best bang for the buck amps for 6XX considering they are all below $500. I use the Schiit Jotunheim with 6XX which can be bought for less than $400 used. The new Magni3 should work as well. However, the tube amps are probably better if 6XX is the only headphone you want to use with them. Going above $500, the Woo Audio line or (SS amps) Burson Soloist/Conductor or the Neurochrome HP-1. Of course there are many others. These are the amps that are often recommended to synergize with the 650s.

Massdrop often advertises amps that are specifically targeted towards the 6XX. Keep an eye on those as well.

For any amp you buy, please also consider a good quality DAC, and clean power supply, USB noise filter etc. Please note, that any small improvement you make to your audio chain will benefit the 6XX to a greater extent than many other headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,702 of 4,141
For the Fiio line, the K5 should have reasonable power to drive the 6XX.

The widely recommended amp for the 650/6XX is the Bottlehead Crack with speedball, obtainable for about $400 used, or similar amount, if you are willing to build yourself. Other amps include the darkvoice 336se or the Little dot MKII/III. These are considered some of the best bang for the buck amps for 6XX considering they are all below $500. I use the Schiit Jotunheim with 6XX which can be bought for less than $400 used. The new Magni3 should work as well. However, the tube amps are probably better if 6XX is the only headphone you want to use with them. Going above $500, the Woo Audio line or (SS amps) Burson Soloist/Conductor or the Neurochrome HP-1. Of course there are many others. These are the amps that are often recommended to synergize with the 650s.

Massdrop often advertises amps that are specifically targeted towards the 6XX. Keep an eye on tose as well.

For any amp you buy, please also consider a good quality DAC, and clean power supply, USB noise filter etc. Please note, that any small improvement you make to your audio chain will benefit the 6XX to a greater extent than many other headphones.
I have a Rega Brio and am teetering on swapping that out for a PS Audio Sprout so I'm not terribly likely to spend more than a couple hundred dollars to improve their headphone amp. Or the latter's DAC for that matter. That said, the Little Dots have always intrigued me.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,703 of 4,141
The vocals sounding like they were in another room were incorrect. It must have been the way my head was leaning against the cushion.

The vocals do seem a little recessed to me, certainly not as forward as the Grado's. Overall the sound is "cleaner than the Grado's but not as "full". I don't know if that is considered soundstage or not.

I have to disagree on the power requirements. I tested the HD650's this past summer and they were unusable with an iPod and nothing special with a Sony DAP or my Note 4. After like ten minutes I gave up on them.
The MassDrop gave me them for just over half price and I bought an amp with them in mind. They NEED high gain and and a good turn of the volume knob to match the Oppo PM3'S and Grado SR325E.
And I do not listen loud.

I bought them because so many people had referred to them as legendary and being one of the standards.

I will spend the next few months comparing my "big three".

Shane D
Please keep me informed of your opinions vs the Grado! So far we are on the same page.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,705 of 4,141

Bottlehead Crack with speedball is tough to beat. Any good tube amp will fair pretty well. All the way from the Vali 2 to mega buck amps from Eddie Current and the like. Mjolnir 2 with a nice set of NOS tubes is quite nice. I think my personal favorite amp though for the 6xx would be the Questyle cma800r dual mono stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back