Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 3, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #136 of 4,141
oh...

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #139 of 4,141
  Though these frequency response and THD measurement comparisons are also included in the video embedded in the first post of this thread, here are they are (click on the graphs below to see larger versions):

NOTE: The measurements above reflect diffuse field correction.

They do sound the same, and those measurements certainly support that.

They feel the same, too. However, I'd say the HD 650's paint finish is fancier, as it has a glittery metallic look to it, whereas the HD 6XX's finish is matte--I'm guessing the HD650's paint finish would be more expensive to do. The grill bezel on the HD 650 is glossy, the HD 6XX's grill bezel is matte.

Outside of those differences, the headphones feel the same and sound the same. Both are also made in the same factory in Tullamore, Ireland.
 ​
Audio measurements were made using:
  1. G.R.A.S. 45BB-12 KEMAR with anthropometric pinnae and low-noise ear simulators
  2. Audio Precision APx555 audio analyzer
  3. Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amplifier
  4. Herzan acoustic enclosure (custom)

Gloss finish sucks as it's sticker when you sweat during the summer.

Matte / satin finish is opposite to that. 

Matte / satin is the best and it's what HD800S is using now. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #140 of 4,141
WHY? Why is it every time I find a nice pair of headphones and try to settle down something else comes along and suddenly I can't stop thinking about them. 
Oh well, whatever. My Studio Wireless hasn't gotten much use in the past month and a half anyways. I knew it wouldn't last long the second I joined this site, but I figured I would at least run out the year warranty they had. Looks like my wallet will be extra empty when I finally decide to buy them. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #141 of 4,141
  The falling value of used 650s shouldn't matter, since no one in their right mind would want to sell one. :wink:

Not selling my HD 600's, and I am still convinced they were a great value for the gently used pair I got at $230 earlier this year... :)  I don't mind that the 6XX is $199, hell, it probably means I will now jump on those now... have always been curious about comparing the 650's to my 600.... this price makes it extremely tempting... although I'm still thinking of the 700... :O

Nov 3, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #143 of 4,141
An HD 6XX + Schiit Modi Multibit + Schiit Jotunheim/Vali 2 = End game for most.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #145 of 4,141
An HD 6XX + Schiit Modi Multibit + Schiit Jotunheim/Vali 2 = End game for most.

Or you could just get the Jotunheim with the dual-DACs built-in: http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim

I'd still want to hear the HD650 (or HD6XX) on the Oppo HA-1 and Questyle CMA600i. And Mojo.

It's kinda funny, because I feel like I've upgraded past the HD650 (preferred AKG over the HD650's I've demo'd, but now I have and love my HD800), so I don't NEED any HD650 or variant... but at the same time, the HD650 is such a common reference point that even if it is colored it still will be the headphone most other people would be familiar with and want comparisons to.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #146 of 4,141
Didn't go through the whole video but was it at least noted that these are Open Back compared to all the Beats so these will have way less isolation and more leakage?

I'm still content with my Red AKG 7xx

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #148 of 4,141
Seeing some more 600s on my local used circuit, but according to the replies to my original post, looks like I'm gonna be on Massdrop on Nov. 8th getting these babies, hope I chose right :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #149 of 4,141
Okay another noob question, (sorry in advance) If I already own a HD800S & HD700 with a Jot/Modi multibit can anyone foresee If I would even need these? Would they be possibly a nice middle ground between the 2 HP's? Since I got the HD800s last year the HD700 has been relegated to portable porch sitting with my Opus 1.
Are the cables interchangeable with the HD800S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back