Sennheiser wireless RS 220 and how to best use it
Oct 2, 2014 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
I got Sennheiser RS 220 wireless can. Man, I love it. I can't tell much difference between it and HD 650 so far. I don't think it can match HD 650 but it sounds great. I especially like it with piano music. It did not get stellar review because many people complain it drop signal and some even complain they can't use it in rooms where other people need quiet environment. For me, it does not drop signal as long as I am in the same room. It does not drop signal when I put transmitter on first floor and I am sitting on second floor above it. It does sometimes drop signal when I am blocked by two walls with distance about 40 feet and it may also occasionally sound distorted a bit in this case. It uses DSSS to transmit signal.

Now I want to know from experienced fellows on how do you best use it. The transmitter can be connected to analog, optical and coaxial but it can't directly use DTS or Dolby which has to be though receiver. I have one old receiver which can take in optical and coaxial but has no optical or coaxial output. So my options are

Disk player (analog) --> Receiver --> Analog --> transmitter --> RS 220 
Disk player (optical) --> Receiver --> Analog --> transmitter --> RS 220 
Disk player (coaxial) --> Receiver --> Analog --> transmitter --> RS 220 

Disk player (Analog) --> transmitter --> RS 220 (I guess this is the worst)
Disk player (Optical) --> transmitter --> RS 220 
Disk player (Coaxial) --> transmitter --> RS 220 

Which way is best for me to use the RS 220? I also want to avoid the hassle to change connector on the back of receiver because the TV system all use that receiver for sounds. The receiver does have one analog headphone connection on its front for easy access. Thanks.

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure what would be considered "the best way" to connect your RS220, but the way I use mine is through both the analog output of my receivers zone 2 connection so I can have simultaneous sources available and also I use an Airport Express' digital output port connected to the digital (optical) input of the RS220 base transmitter and Airplay music either from an iDevice or my computer. I think I probably use the second method 85% of the time for music listening just for the sake of simplicity.

That's what works for me. :)

Cheers

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 3
That's great for you. I basically use the first (thought headphone jack on receiver for easy access) and second methods. I guess it's better through receiver for amplification. The more I listen to it the more I like this headphone. Very comfortable even after 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back