Sennheiser RS-180: Electronic hiss/noise from right cup
Jul 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ziphnor

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just bought a Sennheiser RS-180 to replace my wired HD550 (tried out RS-160 first, and had to return it as difference in SQ was too apparent). They sound great and have excellent range (throughout my house), but i hear a low-volume high-frequent noise (similar to what some power supplies generate) from the right cup (the one that has the controls).

If i put it on reversed, the sound changes to my left ear, and the sound stops when i toggle the power, so its not just me being weird :) The noise is there regardless of whether the transmitter is connected to an audio source and also seems independent of volume as far as i can tell. 

I found this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/468816/sennheiser-rs180-initial-impressions#post_6385054 that seems to describe the same issue, apparently it was resolved by getting a replacement.

I was just wondering if anyone else with an RS-180 can report whether they have had similar experience? Before i start on trying to replace it would be nice to have an idea whether i can expect a replacement to fix it (having only one post to support that currently). I am quite sensitive to high-frequency noise and my girlfriend can't hear the noise at all when she tries them on btw.

I was also wondering if there is anything i can do to fix the issue myself? Change the battery perhaps?

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Just a small note: Found out that my girlfriend can't hear frequencies above 14khz or so (thought i was crazy because she couldn't hear it), while i can hear up to 16khz (and get a sense that something is going on at 17khz), so i guess the sound is in that range :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Tested with HD555 and the RS180, got the same result from either. But you are right of course, it might be a limitation of the headphones, though i read that it is quite normal for adults not to be able to hear above 15khz ( i am 34 ). My girlfriend has been tested at the doctor before and found to have a small hearing loss, i just didn't know it was that range.

I used the test here:
http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 8
I ended up returning it after trying out another set that seemed to have a similar issue (though possibly slightly less so). The RS-220 are way too expensive (after all these are for use with my computer :), so i guess i have to give up on wireless, or look at another brand.

Quote:
I am 35 and can't hear anything above 13 on any of my sennheiser headphones. On my Beyers I can hear 17.

Strange given that i could hear 16 on both of mine :) I also tried with my normal speakers and got the same result, i can hear 16, and get a sense that something is going on at 17khz, but not really hear it.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 8
I had to sign up and add weight to this observation. I purchased these over a year ago and straight away noticed the described sound out of one ear, which is the side where all the electronics are in the headphone. I purchased in the US and did a warranty exchange in Australia. The authorised reps in Australia were really good about it and had no issues swapping them over. I received the new pair which had the same issue.

I echo the sentiment that the headphones sound great but the interference is annoying even at medium volume scenes or dialogue in movies. It is quite noticeable as in quiet scenes the headphones seem to stop and start transmitting when there is no sound coming from the source.

The bad thing is in terms of clarity (not sound reproduction) my Logitech G930 Gaming Headset has the RS-180 beaten hands down. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back