Sennheiser reccomendations?
Oct 14, 2009 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

checkzy

Head-Fier
Hi, I've been looking at quite a few closed/noice-cancelling cans for school use, and have ultimately decided that I wanted to go with some Sennheisers.

A few pairs that I've been looking at are the:

HD 485s
HD 448s
HD 438s
HD 428s

As you can tell, they're all circamural which is my preference. I know that with Sennheisers I can't go wrong, but I just wanted some opinions on which pair is the best deal.

Also, if there are any other pairs of cans that you feel are better than the ones listed, feel free to recommend them. I know I'm pretty new to this site, but have been lurking quite a bit.

Thanks!
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Stay away from active noise-cancelling - any headphones requiring batteries are not worth purchasing IMO.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Oh alright, thanks. 2 of the cans that I listed mention passive noise attentuation, which I'd assume is the opposite of active noise-cancelling more or less.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I didn't see any of that info about them. I think I listed it because I thought they were the best looking.

I'm not looking for cans that block all or even most outside noise, I'm mostly worried about not letting too much sound out. If it were up to me, I'd have a pair of AD700s right now.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by checkzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I didn't see any of that info about them. I think I listed it because I thought they were the best looking.

I'm not looking for cans that block all or even most outside noise, I'm mostly worried about not letting too much sound out. If it were up to me, I'd have a pair of AD700s right now.

If you are interested in SQ, you really need to disregard looks. Some of the more. ahem, 'unusual' looking headphones are highly regarded, both here and elsewhere.

If you dont want leaky cans, you will need to avoid open designs. Unfortunately, at the cheaper end of the scale particularly, the open cans have better SQ. Possible suggestions are ES7 and A500.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by checkzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then you should get the AD700. Unless you're sitting next to someone on a bus, train or airplane, leakage doesn't matter that much. If you're not blasting your music, most people will tune it out as background noise.

If you have to be right next to someone, consider one of the good closed headphones or IEMs. When I fly, I usually use a closed Sony MDR-7509HD. They don't let anything out and my seatmates aren't bothered in the least.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Unfortunately, my girlfriend was planning on buying me the AD700s for X-mas, so I was just looking for a decent set of cans to hold me over. Sound quality is most important me, but so is minimal sound leakage and comfort.

The ES7s look pretty nice, and aren't too big. I'll look into them more.

I don't what to think about IEMs. I'd imagine that not many pairs can match up to the quality of most full-sized cans, partly because of size. If I were to get IEMs, they'd probably be from Shure or Denon.

I mostly listen to Metal and enjoy my music with the volume way up, which is why I'm a bit worried about sound leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back