Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #166 of 206
The volume issue people seem to experience on the PXC 550... My solution is to "swipe up" on the right earcup (the touch sensitive side) until I hear the announcer say "Volume Max".

If I do that, I can listen at 50-60% in Bluetooth mode on my LG V20. Without swiping up, I have to listen at 80-90%.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #167 of 206
I’m surprised by the comments that the headphones is not loud enough. I’ve used it on a flight listening to podcasts and never once did I max out the volume. The phone function is also solid. Really happy I bought this. I haven’t tried the Sony though.
Totally agree. At 40% on an iPhone 7 Plus, it's a comfortable volume at home or in a typical office (ANC on). I go to 50% in the car or at a coffee shop and any more than that gets fatiguing after a few.

I also don't find the headphones as bright as some would suggest and I'm treble sensitive, which is why I've never been a fan of many of the Audio Technica headphones.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #168 of 206
The memory of the pairing list can save 8 devices. You can't connect more than 2 devices with the correct bt version.

I have another question. Anyone have any weird clicking sound on left ear cup? Like a plastic inside moving and hitting on something. This happens mostly on sudden movement, like walking down stairs or with a bus on a bumpy road.
No, haven't noticed anything like that at all. It sounds like that could be driver flex (due to suction pressure) or some type of noise from the ANC dealing with a poor seal. If you can rule either of those out and there is something loose, you'll want to return or start a ticket with Sennheiser.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #169 of 206
Totally agree. At 40% on an iPhone 7 Plus, it's a comfortable volume at home or in a typical office (ANC on). I go to 50% in the car or at a coffee shop and any more than that gets fatiguing after a few.

I also don't find the headphones as bright as some would suggest and I'm treble sensitive, which is why I've never been a fan of many of the Audio Technica headphones.
I had to return my PXC solely because they were not loud enough. It's very disappointing to me that Sennheiser could not add a touch more volume. I bought the Sony and they are definetly louder with a bigger bass impact. However, the PXC is still superior in terms of clarity and on several other fronts are soncially better then the Sony. This is why it's so disappointing since they sound very good sounding, better then Sony and Bose but with not enough volume.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #170 of 206
I had to return my PXC solely because they were not loud enough. It's very disappointing to me that Sennheiser could not add a touch more volume. I bought the Sony and they are definetly louder with a bigger bass impact. However, the PXC is still superior in terms of clarity and on several other fronts are soncially better then the Sony. This is why it's so disappointing since they sound very good sounding, better then Sony and Bose but with not enough volume.

I wonder what our decibel thresholds are. I find the headphones to be plenty loud, even on a plane.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #171 of 206
I wonder what our decibel thresholds are. I find the headphones to be plenty loud, even on a plane.
Indeed. Everyone obviously has different characteristics and sensitivities to varying frequencies, some of which have to do with the diameter of one's ear canal, angle of the canal, shape of the ear itself, position/diameter/angle of the ear drum, number of fine hairs along the inner ear, auditory nerve differences, ear wax, medically induced (certain antibiotics, over use of NSAIDs, chemotherapy), etc.

Ultimately to each their own. My step dad has physically flat ears (don't catch much sound), small ear canals, and he's old (70s), so he listens to everything ridiculously loud. He used to work in loud factories and never took care of his hearing, so he's a basshead (because that's all he can really hear/feel).

I've had some headphones that are sooo loud on the lowest setting, I had to return them. Being someone who enjoys this hobby, I always advocate taking care of your ears and adjusting to lower volumes. Sort of a "burn in" for your ears at a lower volume to acclimate them to said sound wave intensity.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #172 of 206
Had mine for 1,5 years now. Great headphones (preferred these more than Sony and Bose). However, on the right-hand ear cup I notice a creeking sound. When I squeeze the front hinge to which the ear cup is attached, I get the creeking sound. Anyone have this problem or can suggest how to fix this, e.g lubricant?

I also noticed that the headband adjustment on the right has worn out a bit and "falls down" when I hold and shake the headband. Not a big problem since the headphones sit tight to my head anyways

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #173 of 206
Hi! Does anyone have problems with charging PXC 550? I recently bought used ones and they seem to have serious problems with charging. For example, mine will fast blink all the 5 LED's once when connected to USB port or adapter and... nothing! And it takes me some random (I mean realy random) actions to "revive" them. I'm going to service-center for a diagnosis but I'm just curious if anyone else has the same problem, because I searched all the internet and didn't find a single similat issue.

YES.

I've sadly just sent mine back to the retailer I bought them from a year ago, due to this exact charging issue. While I was there, I listened to the Bose QC35 II and decided to take them home instead.
I think I'm regretting it now - I don't feel as engaged with my music anymore, there's something very synthetic about the Bose sound that I'm not enjoying. They also don't feel as well built as the Senns.
What is stopping me from going back for the Senns though is the absolutely dumb as dog-shyte on/off procedure of turning the cups, and yes this is an issue, the crappy travel case.
I actually found this thread looking for information on a new model since it's been over a year now, and hopefully they've addressed that stupid no-off-button design, and put a bit of thought into the case. ***, they're travel cans. Make their case good for travel.

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #174 of 206
Hello,

Recently I have a weird issue. When walking down stairs, or in a vehicle on an bumpy road, I hear weird cracking sounds in the left ear cup. Like something is moving, could be on of the mics?

This happens only when ANC is on, on both ANC modes. If I turn it off completely I will not hear it.

The issue is that I took them back to store and they didn't find the issue I was describing. I'm trying to contact sennheiser, but wont reply to my emails. I don't know what to do :/

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #175 of 206
Hi! Does anyone have problems with charging PXC 550? I recently bought used ones and they seem to have serious problems with charging. For example, mine will fast blink all the 5 LED's once when connected to USB port or adapter and... nothing! And it takes me some random (I mean realy random) actions to "revive" them. I'm going to service-center for a diagnosis but I'm just curious if anyone else has the same problem, because I searched all the internet and didn't find a single similat issue.

DId you get any response to this? My son's PXC 550 behaved very much the same- and similar scenario he has no proof of purchase so no warranty, and we just got a quote - IT costs extra 30 $ to get a new pair - I gues they are not in the reapir business.

So If anybody has a link to a teardown or knows how to open them up, I have located a replacement battery and am happy to have a go at opening them

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #176 of 206
DId you get any response to this? My son's PXC 550 behaved very much the same- and similar scenario he has no proof of purchase so no warranty, and we just got a quote - IT costs extra 30 $ to get a new pair - I gues they are not in the reapir business.

So If anybody has a link to a teardown or knows how to open them up, I have located a replacement battery and am happy to have a go at opening them
Yes, I actually got my pxc repaired, and the problem was in a cable that goes from charging port to battery. So it's not necessary the battery that failed. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations on disassembling the headphones, so I suggest you pay extra money for repair.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #177 of 206
Yes, I actually got my pxc repaired, and the problem was in a cable that goes from charging port to battery. So it's not necessary the battery that failed. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations on disassembling the headphones, so I suggest you pay extra money for repair.
So considering the difference in price I have neogiated to get anew pair for the price they quoted for the repair. Much happier now. BUT - Battery is a consumable, and it should not cost 90 % of theproduct cost to replace the batter ( well tell that to the mobile phone manufacturers too)

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #178 of 206
I had an issue with low volume on these headphones when I got them. I think I may have found a solution, it may help you too.

Try the following, when connecting your device to your source(laptop/phone) put the volume very low on the source first. Connect the headphones, it can be over Bluetooth (no issues), then turn the volume up to max on the headphones (while the audio source volume is still set low). Thereafter adjust the volume from your source. You would be able to get way more volume out. If its still not loud, try turning the volume back down on the source to a very low volume, then put the headphones off and back on, after it has reconnected, turn the volume up to max on the headphones (while the audio source volume is still set low). Thereafter adjust the volume from your source.

I was able to get it really loud that way. Basically ensure you turn the volume up on your headphones first then start turning it up on the source.

I hope this helps anyone having simpler issues.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #179 of 206
I have had a similar issue that they only charge to 70%, been like this since new (on android or apple). The 5th light never stops flashing. Is this a glitch or is this an actual issue i need get them swapped over. I have tried different chargers and cables

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #180 of 206

Users who are viewing this thread

Back