Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #151 of 206
I bought my PXC550's about a week ago. Like others, I struggled with the overall lack of volume. I believe this is entirely a software issue, related to the EQ and providing headroom for boosting frequencies on demand in the different sound modes. I A/B tested the 'flat' EQ vs bumping the entire curve up to max. I couldn't detect any difference in frequency response with the entire curve maxed... just an increase in volume. So my suggestion is to move the entire EQ curve up to max and then choose 'club' mode if you're looking for a little more punch. I've not noticed ANY distortion or downside to maxing the EQ across the entire frequency spectrum. In short, I don't think moving EQ values up is 'artificially boosting' those frequencies, rather I think it is 'reducing them less' than the theoretical max. Otherwise, AMAZING cans! Hope this helps.
That would only work when listening from a phone using captune app, right? Kinda sucks for PC use, but nice find!

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #153 of 206
That would only work when listening from a phone using captune app, right? Kinda sucks for PC use, but nice find!

My understanding is that the Captune settings are saved in the headphones once configured so EQ settings should remain with PC usage once setup with the app. I've always just closed captune after use to save battery (I've notice 1-2% of my battery drain is the Captune app even though I don't use it as my media player). YMMV good luck!

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #154 of 206
Nice to see some fresh discussion about these great cans! I've not found a decent workaround for volume settings yet, although I did have some random success when I somehow connected to my phone without having the type of bluetooth which syncs the volume/playback settings (forget what it's called)
I connected the headphones, with my phones bluetooth volume at max, and then I was able to adjust the headphone volume independent of the phones, and that gave me much greater volume. I wasn't able to control playback (pause, resume, skip etc) from the headphones though. I've not figured out how to replicate it since.

One other annoyance, has anyone managed to get rid of the stupid "recharge headset" warning message? Even when I plug the Aux cable in and try to listen via that instead of bluetooth, I keep getting that message until the battery completely dies which can take up to 30+ minutes.

And what about velour ear pads? Anyone found anything useful?

Otherwise, they're great can's! Sound incredible for the money, and I'm constantly being (pleasantly) surprised by them.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #155 of 206
My understanding is that the Captune settings are saved in the headphones once configured so EQ settings should remain with PC usage once setup with the app. I've always just closed captune after use to save battery (I've notice 1-2% of my battery drain is the Captune app even though I don't use it as my media player). YMMV good luck!

I tried that but couldn't hear a difference when connected tbh, will mess around a bit more. Thanks!

Nice to see some fresh discussion about these great cans! I've not found a decent workaround for volume settings yet, although I did have some random success when I somehow connected to my phone without having the type of bluetooth which syncs the volume/playback settings (forget what it's called)
I connected the headphones, with my phones bluetooth volume at max, and then I was able to adjust the headphone volume independent of the phones, and that gave me much greater volume. I wasn't able to control playback (pause, resume, skip etc) from the headphones though. I've not figured out how to replicate it since.

One other annoyance, has anyone managed to get rid of the stupid "recharge headset" warning message? Even when I plug the Aux cable in and try to listen via that instead of bluetooth, I keep getting that message until the battery completely dies which can take up to 30+ minutes.

And what about velour ear pads? Anyone found anything useful?

Otherwise, they're great can's! Sound incredible for the money, and I'm constantly being (pleasantly) surprised by them.

That prompt is annoying. When I'm charging mine I run them through USB connected to my laptop. To make the prompt go away (while they are plugged it to usb) I turn them off by rotating the earpads, and hold the mode switch button for 4 seconds to reset them, then I turn them back on and the thing stops bothering me while charging.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #156 of 206
Hi! Does anyone have problems with charging PXC 550? I recently bought used ones and they seem to have serious problems with charging. For example, mine will fast blink all the 5 LED's once when connected to USB port or adapter and... nothing! And it takes me some random (I mean realy random) actions to "revive" them. I'm going to service-center for a diagnosis but I'm just curious if anyone else has the same problem, because I searched all the internet and didn't find a single similat issue.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #157 of 206
To have more Output from the PXC on Iphone i use « NePlayer » app. I don’t use anymore the stock player.. It does not give me enought power on some songs. From my Macbook also the same, im using the Mojo with a MEE wireless device, and i get plenty of power.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #158 of 206
Hey guys,

I just go the today. I have a strange issue tho. My previous headphones are the pioneer hdj1500. With them, connected via cable + fiio q1 i get more volume than with pxc 550 via cable and fiio q1. I tried to deactivate bluetooth and active noise (which it should de activate noisegard) but the volume isn't very much. The strange thing is that via bluetooth i have more max volume. And yes, I increased the volume at both device and headphones when with cable. I am using oneplus 3 and v4a fyi.

Thanks

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #159 of 206
I bought the PXC550 and have just returned it today, i was not happy with it. The audio quality is really good, however they do not go very loud and the bass has almost no impact i felt. Listened to a friend's Sony MDR1000x in comparison and it is definitely louder with more impact. I like the settings on the 550 but again i find the shape and design a little weird, sorry Senn, looks like i'll stick your your other headphones.

Apr 28, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #160 of 206
I bought the PXC550 and have just returned it today, i was not happy with it. The audio quality is really good, however they do not go very loud and the bass has almost no impact i felt. Listened to a friend's Sony MDR1000x in comparison and it is definitely louder with more impact. I like the settings on the 550 but again i find the shape and design a little weird, sorry Senn, looks like i'll stick your your other headphones.
The 550 is really purpose made for when you need the noise cancelling properties. For airplanes it is great. But for day to day I never use it.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #161 of 206
I bought the PXC550 and have just returned it today, i was not happy with it. The audio quality is really good, however they do not go very loud and the bass has almost no impact i felt. Listened to a friend's Sony MDR1000x in comparison and it is definitely louder with more impact.

I demo'd both the MDR1000x and the PXC-500 and settled on the Sennheisers. I found the Sony SQ was terrible. Bass boosted way too much, and overall sound was extremely bloated and muddy. When the music calls for it, the Sennheisers very accurately reproduce bass, although it requires a mental reset if you're used to listening to bass heavy cans.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #162 of 206
Hey guys,

I just go the today. I have a strange issue tho. My previous headphones are the pioneer hdj1500. With them, connected via cable + fiio q1 i get more volume than with pxc 550 via cable and fiio q1. I tried to deactivate bluetooth and active noise (which it should de activate noisegard) but the volume isn't very much. The strange thing is that via bluetooth i have more max volume. And yes, I increased the volume at both device and headphones when with cable. I am using oneplus 3 and v4a fyi.

Thanks

Anyone help me out?

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #163 of 206
First I would like to say Hi to all, I am new here.

Today I purchase and pick up my new PXC550. Is there any FW update available for them?
In manual it says, that headphones can be connected to up to 8 devices. In my case I can only connect them to 2 devices at the same time. If I want to connect third device I must first manually disconnect one device.
Is this normal? I am connecting them to iPhone, MacBook pro and Apple TV.
I also noticed issue even if I have only 2 devices connected. Lets say I am listening music on iPhone and if I open youtube on MacBook I get some funky noises for about 30sec before sound from iPhone mutes and I get clear voice from MacBook.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #164 of 206
Hello, everyone. I'm also new here.

Since first day, I've noticed an issue that I can't solve and would like advice.

When connected to my cell phone (a samsung galaxy s6 edge), I can make a first call without any issues. But when I try to make a second call, the phone does not send the audio to the headphone, keeping the sound from the call in the phone speaker. Even when I press the button on the cell phone to send audio to the headphone, it only turns green (which would mean the call is on bluetooth) quickly, then turns grey again. In the menu, it shows the headphone is connected, no problem, but the phone refuses to send audio to the headphone.

Same thing happens when receiving a call. First time, I hear the notification on the headphone, and when I accept the call, I hear the sound through the headphone. But when I end the call and a second one is received, I don't hear the notification sounds on the headphone. Nonetheless, I can accept the call by touching the headphone, but the sound is not sent to the headphone. I have missed some calls because of this.

Is this a known issue? Is there any solution to this problem? It is a very annoyng issue, because I have to turn the headphone off and on again for it to work every time. As of right now, I wouldn't recommend this product to a friend for this issue alone. I'd be very pleased if there was any viable solution for this.

Thank you all.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #165 of 206
First I would like to say Hi to all, I am new here.

Today I purchase and pick up my new PXC550. Is there any FW update available for them?
In manual it says, that headphones can be connected to up to 8 devices. In my case I can only connect them to 2 devices at the same time.

The memory of the pairing list can save 8 devices. You can't connect more than 2 devices with the correct bt version.

I have another question. Anyone have any weird clicking sound on left ear cup? Like a plastic inside moving and hitting on something. This happens mostly on sudden movement, like walking down stairs or with a bus on a bumpy road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back