Sennheiser PX100 Appreciation Thread
Aug 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

adiZero

100+ Head-Fier
There are so many appreciation threads on this forum, but I miss one for the lovely Sennheiser px100! I got a pair of these nice headphones yesterdays and must say that I am really satisfied with how they sound. They are comfy aswell.

I will use these for running, for this purpose I think they are perfect. Together with my Zen Stone I think they will do well as an ultra portable rig!

Of course they can't compete with all high end cans out there, but for the price and size I think they are GREAT!

I guess there a lot of people with love for the px100 out there....Come on; share your love

sennheiser_px_100-400-400.jpg

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 17
No love for the px100??? Come on, the porta pro's got a 10 page appreciation Thread. I think the px100 deserves even more....

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 17
Well, I respect the porta's but i prefer the 100's, the only problem is the amount of fakes, hence i started up fakeheadphones.com !!

However, i love the iGrado's even more.

I have to say that I bought the PX200's first 'cause i didn't get on with the 100's 5 spoke alloy wheel look, but i have to admit that the 100 is the better out of the two.

Is that 'Appreciation' enough adiZero?

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Dug out my PX100 a week ago after 2 pairs of IEM died on me and was surprised by how great they sounded. Always did like the sound but remembered them to be darker - somehow they sounded more forward this time around. Well, maybe I was just relieved to still have a working pair of headphones after my Shure and UE died.

I still think the PX100 are good value for money - if only they were easier to drive ... I often find the DAPs have a hard time getting good volume on the PX100 .

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually prefer the PX100 White over the PX100 Black. The White has a slightly brighter sound and slightly more soundstage than the Black PX100.

didn't realize there was any audioable difference

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 17
I got these for $45 three years ago. They were my first step up from low end Sony "studio monitors".

My PX100s have served me very well. When my other cans have conked out, I reverted back to the PX100s.

For the price these are a solid pair of headphones: very efficient, full-sounding, great bass, decent mids, and great portability.

Some people said these have durability issues, I have only worn out the earpads and a little bit of the of the insulation on the wire that was fixed with some superglue. I have used these cans heavily, and they've held up well.

Love em'

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 17
I like the sound of the 100's and portas but the form factor and comfort of the 100's blows the portas out of the water.

I have since modded mine so they have grado drivers and grado comfy pads. Quite a sight and sound to behold.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 17
These are my work phones. Small, comfortable, and cheap, not to mention it sounds pretty darn good, although it's a whole lot darker than Grados. Plug is starting to go though, might need to get a new pair or recable.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 17
OK, I'll bite. I have a pair in the drawer for backup purposes.

At one time, these were by far my main pair. Perhaps a bit too much bass, but given that most portable mp3 type players are bass light that is not necessarily a bad thing.

My choice of headphones tends to run both relatively inexpensive but this forum's standards, but I tend to choose the pair I wear based on intended usage.

Lately I have gone back to "behind the neck" headphone for exercise purposes. The PX100s for the price sound great, but the over the top of the head design got to be a bit much when it came to working out (or running) for me.
I have been experimenting with Motorola bluetooth headphones, they sound OK; sometimes the bluetooth cuts out.

On planes I typically go IEM (mainly my old E2Cs with custom molds, sometimes Nuforce). And sitting around watching soccer tournaments and the like I go buds (Yuin PK3 or MX400 sennheiser). Oh yeah, for biking its the cheapo sennheisers that kind of twist into the ear. For skiing....cheapo speakers in the helmet. For xcountry skiing, earmuff style headphones. Boy...now that I think of it my headphone choices are fairly anal.

So while I love the PX100s; they have only a narrow usage window for me.

At some point I'll probably get a new pair of behind the neck wired phones; but I gather the equivalent models from Sennheiser to the PX100 are not as good (is that verified?). The iGrados look rather big to me; though I used to love my SR60s until they conked out. I amazes me how long the Sony G52s that I have has lasted for behind the head (is that what this style is called?) usage. The pads are decaying, but hanging on so far. The Sony's are quite neutral, which I like.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 17
PX 100 are great .
Out of the box they sound "dark" but with sometime of burning time, they become more open and sound really great.
Worth largely their price.
I think Igrado play in the same range.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 17
my PX100 are rocking the HD414 ear pads:

brings out the highs, expands the soundstage... i'd say it puts the PX100 about on the same level as the Grado SR60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back