Sennheiser PX 100 vs. Koss Porta Pro - The Ultimate Thread
Jun 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

ChrisDeeson

Head-Fier
Hello Guys!

I know here are TONS of this threads and the meanings split when it comes to the question wich is the better one
In the end you have to hear them yourself to decide wich you like better.

This thread just should be the Ultimate one were you
most importantly can see the Votes of the Forum members by a poll.

Also this could be a great thread for people that cant decide between them both.

My oppinion :
I tested both in my local market, I only listened to the stock music they had (it wasnt the best music to test the sq of both)
At the moment I liked the Porta Pros more - so I bought em
I also like the retro look of them.

EDIT [08/04/09]:
My old oppinion was that the Porta Pros are better, but I was deciding so just because of a quick listening test in the market where I lastly bought them.

I just didnt came over the whole thing and Yesterday I did bought the Sennheiser PX 100 - I was just curious about testing them really side by side and with my own Music Library since the music at the store was awful.

Soundquality wise I was expecting, after reading so much about the Sennheiser PX 100, that these are really great or maybe even better than the Koss Porta Pro, I know when it comes to SQ its always a matter of your own personal taste, but it looked like that many people have this personal taste to prefer the Sennheiser PX 100 over the Koss Porta Pros.
So I ended the reading and just bought them and had to decide my self.

To make it short:
I think the Koss wins.
Reason why:
It just sounds more clear and transparent while I think the Sennheiser PX 100 are a really dark sounding headphone.
I also think the Koss has a better punchy bass while the PX 100 bass is bloated an un-accurate.

Thats why I brought back the Sennheiser and will keep my Porta Pros.

Be sure that this information is just my subjective un-bias opinion!

Thanks,
Chris D.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 51
although many people hate the look of the portas, I love it.
I'm into the whole retro look
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 51
I've only ever tried the Sennheisers, but I would replace them with a Porta Pro if I never get mine back from the shop (I sent my PX100s to them a couple weeks ago for warranty repairs because I lost sound in the left. Dern flimsy plug).

Anyway, I can't vote in this poll. If it was PX100 vs. KSC75, I would go with PX100, though, but pretty narrowly (I bought the KSC75 for my wife and snapped it on a headband so she'd like it better. I think the plug in the KSC75 would work a lot better).

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only ever tried the Sennheisers, but I would replace them with a Porta Pro if I never get mine back from the shop (I sent my PX100s to them a couple weeks ago for warranty repairs because I lost sound in the left. Dern flimsy plug).

Anyway, I can't vote in this poll. If it was PX100 vs. KSC75, I would go with PX100, though, but pretty narrowly (I bought the KSC75 for my wife and snapped it on a headband so she'd like it better. I think the plug in the KSC75 would work a lot better).

That's very admirable of you. Typically people just vote for whatever headphone they own, regardless of whether or not they've tried both
tongue.gif
I had both (and the ksc75, and the kcs35) and ended up keeping the px100.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
portapro has much more potential amped and with 75 ohm resistors. koss has much more mod potential. I wanted to recable my px100 with spc wire but the enclosure is impossible to open.

that sounds interesting, tell me what is the benefit of a 75 ohm resistor?
Do you have this setup on your own?

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 51
One friend has the PX100, another has the Porta-Pro. For my tastes, the PX100 sounds better overall. I think it comes down to individual taste.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 51
i bought portapro's for my dad and i have a pair of px100's. i think i like the px100's slightly better. they sound pretty much the same but the px100's definitely has that sennheiser sound signature to them similar to the HD650 (80% of it as people would say). from what i recall the portapro sounded better when amped while the px100 sounded good without one.

i actually like the retro look of the portapro's too. same reason why i like grado's.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 51
Having owned variations on each (KSC-35/50/75/75-with-KSC35-earclips, PMX-100) I prefer the Sennheiser. Not necessarily for its sound quality. They sound different but equally good for what they are, and both are better than anything similar. The Senns' build quality is much higher. I used to replace my Koss earclips more-or-less annually, because something broke. The Senns, in addition to having higher perceived quality (soft touch plastics, etc.) have higher actual durability. Mine have lasted for three years now.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 51
I obviously can't speak to the Koss's durability, but I bought my PX 100 in January of 2008, and the wire near the plug is broken internally. I'd imagine the L shaped plug on the Koss would be better for a portable application (take a touch more abuse).

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 51
Koss was at the meet yesterday in Kenosha, WI - They demonstrated a pair of porto-pro's. They seem flimsy and don't have great detail. The high end isn't there and the sound is a bit muffled.

Hope this helps!

Spencer D.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DS21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned variations on each (KSC-35/50/75/75-with-KSC35-earclips, PMX-100) I prefer the Sennheiser. Not necessarily for its sound quality. They sound different but equally good for what they are, and both are better than anything similar. The Senns' build quality is much higher. I used to replace my Koss earclips more-or-less annually, because something broke. The Senns, in addition to having higher perceived quality (soft touch plastics, etc.) have higher actual durability. Mine have lasted for three years now.

The Portapros do not have clips, and are much more durable, right down to the cable (it doesn't stiffen with age like the KSC75 and such).

Of course I voted Koss. The PX100 are OK, but not for me. Just watch the poll stay pretty much even...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back