Sennheiser Plugs/connectors
Jul 11, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I personally do not believe in aftermarket cables at all...Not even those made and sold by Rudi, all my cables are either BJC, Quail or stock cables...

Well, for me, that eliminates your RudiStor amps from my consideration, because that is opposite from my own experience.

I won't buy from an amp vendor who says that all cables sound the same. I would be concerned that the amps are not well-performing amps.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 122
Quote:

I do not sell them....Rudi does...I just authorized to sell the amps...

BTW I personally do not believe in aftermarket cables at all...Not even those made and sold by Rudi, all my cables are either BJC, Quail or stock cables...

Perhaps you're not the best person to be giving advice to the OP about building her own cable then.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 122

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 122
Quote:

This is the opposite of your own belief that is different, just offer a prove of the opposite...experiences are some times misleading, same as human senses...

BTW if being 100% honest, bothers you, so be it...That has been my experience as well.

But for me is all the oppsite, to me who believe is all this voodoo and say the opposite, along with a lot of other voodoo crap (aftermarket power cords, caps burn in, etc...) loss all my consideration instantly, electronic is an exact science, just prove it and I'm OK with that...No prove, then is voodoo and snake oil to me...

Also you will be really surprised in knowing how many professionals and manufacturer of this field beleive the same, as we have talked with them, but it is true that a profesional/technical image, is not very welcome in many of the audiophile voodooish circles...

Anyway if you want to base your opinion on a particualr brand based in the belief of the dealer or manufacturer, rather than the actual sound you can hear, that is up to you...then you should cross out many more...

-=Germania=-

After careful considerations of the facts, it has been determined that any cable you want to build will not be satisfactory, regardless of the materials used or the time spent building it. You should just buy the HD650 cable that Sennheiser sells and be happy with that. Anything you could build will not give you nearly the same amount of enjoyment that the aforementioned cable will bring you.

Sell your soldering iron because frankly, nothing you could build will ever reach the price/performance level of that cable. Don't waste you time.

Thank you.

*END COMMUNICATION*

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 122
Well, well, well... the 'cables don't matter' makes it's ugly way into DIY. Even my last pure sanctuary is violated by an MOT who is continually allowed to violate the terms of use.
confused.gif

To the issue at hand, several cable makers have hacked the Senn cords forever, and the results are quite good, but the Cardas connectors are a bargain at $32. Kinda pick your poison, but, at the end, your materials cost will be a fraction of expenditure on good cables (APS v3 OR an Enigma Oracle). Since you are still a student, those expenditures don't add up for you.

Oh, and when are you building a Millett SS?

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 122
Taking things from another point of view:

Using the stock senn cable to re use the connectors and build your own, will probably take 3-6 times more time than using the DIY cardas connectors, depending on your experience and skill. From a comercial POV, the labour cost of working with the stock cable will be much more than buying the DIY connector.

I don't think that the Cardas connectors are expensive at all, they're probaly made in small batches and as others said, cardas still wants to sell their own finished cable!

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 122
Actually, I would have made them....but it has to do with the shape of the pins at the end.

Right now, I don't have a C-rot-mill available and making those pins by hand would be a PIA to mold and even worse to make from wire!

The FreQ connector design I have would not be a DIY friendly connector and any made would be by hand. That is the only way to get the clean look and best fit. It is part of the cable design I have. Unfortunately, it will not be super cheap - but it will cost less than a APS ety cable in parts.....

So right now, I am in the middle of making my Millet SS (probably do this weekend), building two headphone stands (also do this weekend), and building two headphone cables.....oh and fixing a low profile lod...

Yeah, I am full!

I think I might go with the Cardas - if someone can point out a vendor....

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #24 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I would have made them....but it has to do with the shape of the pins at the end.

Right now, I don't have a C-rot-mill available and making those pins by hand would be a PIA to mold and even worse to make from wire!

Just bear in mind that there are two different pin diameters there and the notch that holds them in place. I can't imagine the level of difficulty that you would have turning these by hand or if it's even possible to make them (in a reliable way) with wire.
Quote:

I think I might go with the Cardas - if someone can point out a vendor....

Check Ebay, TR Audio (he's a member here) sells them there and provides great service. I'm sure there are other sellers who are just as good as Todd, I just can't remember other names right now.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 122
Quote:

There is the certain prof at NW who _might_ have access... lessee... what is that guy's name?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, most everyone that has trodden the path has ordered the pins, and either molded the plugs or machined them from aluminum or derlin. Making pins would be a total waste of your time. All that info is in the Senn plugs thread (pin part #, etc).

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried chopping the hd580/650 connectors. i also tried pulling the pins out by heating them.
both methods were extremely tedious and annoying.
although i wish the cardas connectors were more heat-resistant (easy to damage while soldering), i dont mind paying $32 for them. its just so much easier than modding the stock connectors.

You think that's tedious and annoying? Try reusing the HD650 connectors on a new cable while still maintaining a factory-installed appearance (no heatshrink and no obvious damage / modification). That will drive you mad with the work necessary to do it and conceal the modifications, but it is possible (although I had to cut off the strain relief for the wire to fit).

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #28 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't pay any attention to Twice or NaySayerMayer, what do they know?
mad.gif

Regarding cables, you, my friend, are absolutely right!
biggrin.gif

Absolute brilliance. Now if only you could use your powers for good and not eeee-ville!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 122
Quote:

Ok, I scoured forum and couldn't find anything with sites that worked.

I would like to buy two sets of connectors, but I think that $32 is a bit much for the plugs offered. I could build them from scratch, but would prefer not to.

Is there anyone offering a better price on these?

Thanks guys!

Where can I buy these connectors for the HD650, even at $32? And how are they labeled when being sold, i.e., parts numbers? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #30 of 122
Ebay: Cardas HPSC

Edit: There's other vendors that sell them too, but, I think the name is enough to get you where you want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back