Sennheiser plug found?
Feb 1, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #61 of 218
Looks good. Epoxy and glue are the right words. I hear that there is some very good crafts people in the Czech Rep, so I expect that it is possible to have such parts machined and made.

JF

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #62 of 218
Quote:

Originally posted by jboehle
You mean you guys need a source for these pins?
eek.gif

Both small and large (yes the Sennheiser pins for ground and signal are different sizes, this keeps you from inserting the cable the wrong way):
both.jpg

Closeup of the small ones:
small.jpg

Closeup of the large ones:
large.jpg

I haven't made any cables with them yet, and I can't sell them by themselves just yet, but I'm working on it.

-Jason

The big question is who supplied you with those pins. I am assuming that you got them from Plastics One. Please post the name of the supplier so I can start making my new cables. I don't have the whole plug figured out yet, but I could rig something up if I had the pins.

PLEASE HELP!

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #63 of 218
First of all, I apologize for delay in getting measurements of the pins to you guys, I just didn't have the time this weekend.

I got the pins from Cardas. I'm a Cardas OEM, but I'm not currently an authorized Cardas' dealer, so I can't sell the pins to anyone unless they are part of a finished cable product.

I'm in process of working with Cardas on allowing me to sell them directly to you guys, but no promises...

I'll try to get the measurements taken and up in the next couple of days.

-Jason

Feb 3, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #64 of 218
I talked to the machine shop supervisor at work regarding the pins. They are most likely made on an automatic screw making machine as they are turnings & too small for a standard lathe; in addition turning them one at a time even on a jewelers lathe would not be a cost effective way to do this.

Once an automatic screw machine is set up it can turn out more than a hundred pieces an hour.

Jason: once you mic the pins & get precise dimensions I will get with the buyer that handles all of our contract machining & get an estimate for a quantity. Any suggestions on how large a quantity to get pricing on? 500, 1000 or more?

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #66 of 218
Well Cardas isn't going to let me sell the pins. I can use them to integrate into products within my own product line but I cannot sell them as I am not an authorized Cardas retailer. Sorry guys. Maybe someone else can help out, like TR Audio as I think they are a Cardas retailer.

-Jason

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #67 of 218
I have both senn HD600s and ety4s earpieces...they attach the cords similarly, with pins of different diameter and with annular grooves near the tips, and both are of different diameter...Hmmm,let me get my micrometer out...

On the Senns, thick pin is .0625 inches, small pin is .0500 inches in diameter...

On the ETYs, the thick pin is .0502 inches, and the small one is .0401 inches.

However, both sets of pins are remarkably similar..they both extend out the exact same distance out from the plug, and they are both grooved in the same relative position. Both sets are gold plated...

I'll bet that both companies use the same supplier for the pins, and I would put money on it being a medical instrumentation company...

Will keep looking...

My brother is a custom jeweller...maybe he could cast/form/machine some out of gold/silver for us...

Will get back to you.

Edited measurements...smoke in the cockpit for previous measurements?.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #68 of 218
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
Oh also I wonder if any one of those will fit the Etys as well.

But nah, even if one fit, it won't be fun to have cables extending straight out...
tongue.gif

These would work for ettys!http://www.plastics1.com/CCS/Catalog.php?Cat=71

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #70 of 218
I think we can get a bunch of those gold platted pins with the right diameter from plastics1 for a very decent price, someone else might do the casing.. just like Zu I think, I will definitely try to let it manufacture.. but the pins would be great from plastics1..

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #71 of 218
Still searching...

Two items of note:

My Jeweller brother says no go on making the pins right now...

He says that the "nickel Silver pins" that are listed in some of the literature for the pins we are looking for means that little or no silver is present! Nickel Silver is what is used for jeweller students to practice with...may include no silver at all!

-G-

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #74 of 218
Beamrider...Here is update:

Have driven over 200 mi in my 10mpg SUV to many jewellers,
(no joy)
Have talked with fifteen or more medical supply companies,
(not found)
Have ordered several connector catalogs,
(some have not yet arrived)
Have purchased a small lathe, ordered some gold wire,
(Lathe here, wire not)
Made models for "lost wax" molds...
(poor result...unuseable)(used previous wedding ring)
Casting ceramic mold now..

Total time devoted over 50 hrs

Keep your lolol to yourself

-G-

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #75 of 218
Oh believe me, I'm not laughing at anyone, just getting ants in the pants. I've tried to fashion the plugs out of wood, Lexan, and am in the process of making silicone molds so I can try to make the plugs using epoxy. I've not spent near 50 hours on it all, but still a lot of time invested, so I sort of know how frustrating it is. Didn't mean to get anyone bent out of shape at all.........
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back