Sennheiser plug found?
Apr 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #183 of 218
I think the price is obscenely high, especially considering they don't fit as tight as the real ones, which probably cost Sennheiser about 2 cents each. Just my 2 cents. Why not buy 650 cables for $11 and throw away the cable? At least they'd fit right.

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #184 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the price is obscenely high, especially considering they don't fit as tight as the real ones, which probably cost Sennheiser about 2 cents each. Just my 2 cents. Why not buy 650 cables for $11 and throw away the cable? At least they'd fit right.

Don't fit? I've built a couple cables with these connectors and the fit is every bit as good as the stock 650 connectors. Granted, if you heat them long enough to make the pins loose then you have only yourself to blame for improper fit.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #185 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't fit? I've built a couple cables with these connectors and the fit is every bit as good as the stock 650 connectors. Granted, if you heat them long enough to make the pins loose then you have only yourself to blame for improper fit.

I concur - they fit just fine, goes in nice and smooth and stays in nice and snug.

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #188 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That statement only serves to confirm the stock cable attaches more securely/strongly.

He was only talking about his method of working with the stock plugs, which is to heat the pins to pull out first. You don't have to pull out anything with the Cardas plugs, and as long as you don't heat it too much it's just as good as stock. Not from my experience of course, but I'm sure n_maher has worked with more than enough of both types of plugs to know what he's talking about.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #190 of 218
First off, IME, the cardas plugs are not as tight a fit as the original ones, but they are in no way sloppy or loose. They don't pull out or anything. They are AOK.

FWIW, you could go and buy a senn cable and mod it, but the difficulty with that is in opening up the senn plug - it seems carving it out with a dremel is the route most have taken (or cut the leads and solder on to that). BTW - where is that cable available for $11? It isn't available for that here where I am - I've tried!

The cardas plugs make it that bit easier - and so you must judge whether they are worth it. However add in say, $20 for some SPC in teflon wire and $5 for a 1/4" jack and you have a very fine cable for smallish money.

Truth is, yes they are pricey, but whaddya gonna do?

Fran

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #191 of 218
Fran,

I hear what you're saying but the way the original post was phrased it made it sound to me like the fit was a problem. I've had stock cables fit very tight and other not so tight, which I'm sure is just the result of production tolerances and the jack in the headphones getting worn a bit. To me the fit of the Cardas plugs is not an issue and that's really all I was trying to get across.

Also, to me, not having to dremel out the existing plugs is worth the $20 savings as it doesn't take much of a mistake to waste a stock cable.

And the $11 (actually $11.75) figure is what Senn USA charges before shipping for the replacement cables. The last time I ordered one I think shipping was ~$6 so the actual cost is closer to $18 for a stock cable.

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #192 of 218
No argument here Nate, I'm in 100% agreement. If you want to do the job right you need to go and buy the cardas connectors. I don't think Cardas would have released them if they weren't right.

That cable is more like $40 here so its a no-brainer.

Be sure to pack the cavity with hot melt glue or caulking to act as strain relief. Thats experience talking!

Fran

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #193 of 218
I just ordered a pair of these from Alex at apuresound.
The original Cardas cable ends on my Cardas cable
pull out sometimes. I've got a 20' cable, and the weight of
the cable does it. I'm hoping the mechanical fit of the
Sennheiser hd650 style ends will grip better.
I would be carefull about using some hot glues around
the connector pins. Some are conductive(although high resistance).
I found that out the hard way in the past.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #194 of 218
I just have to say that the use of these plugs makes building Senn cables a lot more enjoyable. Here's my 10' balanced cable, completed last night.

95259393.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back