Sennheiser PC350s and onboard (no bass)
Oct 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BlackLabel

New Head-Fier
So I just made the switch to the PC350s. Slick lookin and feel good. Sound is crisper, but there is absolutely no bass. No bass in music, and not much deep or low tones in games.

I'm using the Realtek onboard with an XFX 780 SLI board. Already jacked up the low frequencies on the equalizer the best I can. Still not cutting it compared to the full sound I'm used to. What's the best way to pump some more solid sound out of these? An amp? Or get a sound card?

Primary use is music, gaming, and occasional movies. A big difference from these over my Plantronics I had is that MP3s now sound like complete trash when <320kbps but I was expecting that anyways.

If I can keep it under $100 for a fix, that would be ideal, but I'm flexible.

Forgot to mention, my PCI-e x 1 slot is completely covered up by my vid card. If a sound card is the solution, I can plug a PCI-e card into a regular PCI slot, right?

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 13
I would rather buy "lower-quality' headphones and get a decent soundcard. Having a $150 headphone + $150 soundcard will easily beat a $300 headphone and onboard sound.

That's just my opinion though.
I find it silly that people spend alot on the headphones and none on the source, the most important part of a sound setup....

edit: I'm not saying the PC350's are $300, just using the numbers as an example.
Anyway, Marcus over @ headphones.com.au, known for his honest opinions, doesn't look too highly at the PC350's...

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Hence my question. What do you recommend? A sound card, or an amp? Keep in mind my PCI-express x1 slot is completely covered by my vid card.

I've read in many places that a sound card is not a big improvement over the Realtek onboard on this 780 SLI board, but that's all subjective. What's your opinion?

By the way, I got these for $120 USD including shipping. I saw that deal and just had to take it.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLabel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hence my question. What do you recommend? A sound card, or an amp? Keep in mind my PCI-express x1 slot is completely covered by my vid card.

I've read in many places that a sound card is not a big improvement over the Realtek onboard on this 780 SLI board, but that's all subjective. What's your opinion?

By the way, I got these for $120 USD including shipping. I saw that deal and just had to take it.

Depends what soudncard really tbh. The lower end X-fi's = not much difference (but you do get EAX 5.0) but the higher ones/higher end soundcards = definately a difference.

Also, most soundcards are PCI so that shouldn't be an issue.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 13
So if I go with a nice card, I'll probably get more power in these things? More low tones?

How do you like your Auzentech? I want to stay away from Creative. I've read some good things about Asus, but some bad stuff about Auzentech.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackLabel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I go with a nice card, I'll probably get more power in these things? More low tones?

How do you like your Auzentech? I want to stay away from Creative. I've read some good things about Asus, but some bad stuff about Auzentech.

The X-fi Prelude is the best soundcard you can get for mixed gaming/music use particularly if you change the opamp.
Also the software/firmware actually functions properly unlike in the Creatives, even though it's made by Creative themselves.

Asus soundcards has some issues too.
Yes, you'll get better bass with the Prelude, the LM4562 opamp that comes with it = a nice bass kick to it.

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for all the help. I'll start shopping now. Froogle.com is my best friend. That's how I got the PC350s for so cheap.

By the way, I'm about to put Vista 64 on this new machine. I heard that X-Fi is a moot point with Vista. That true?

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 13
I got the Auzentech and it's great. You were right about the bass kick. I don't even need to enable the bass boost to feel it.

I'm startin to like these PC350s more and more. What game and entertainment mode settings do you use?

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Im glad to hear you like the PC 350s. I purchased a pair back in april and promptly returned them. My problem with them was that they sounded completely boxed in (no soundstage) with too much booming, muddy, farty bass. Who knows maybe I had a defective pair or maybe my source sucked (Audigy 2). Now I'm running the prelude with the d2000s via a Little Dot MKV...totally awesome. As a matter of fact I just returend a pair of beyerdynamic dt880 in favor of the d2000's. At any rate. You should try bitmatching to see if you hear any improvements. Im about to purchase an HT Omega Claro Halo to see if I can get rid of my Little Dot. We shall see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back