Sennheiser PC300 and Razer Moray+ Review/Video Review
Apr 29, 2010 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Steggy

100+ Head-Fier
I posted a big roundup in the full sized headphone section, but I figured posting these 2 separately in this section would be good since those who are only into IEMs wouldn't trek in that section, anyways, here are 2 reviews from the 10 headset roundup, the Sennheiser PC300 and the Razer Moray+

Before you guys are done viewing this page, I ask that you please visit the links to the video reviews, even if it is only for a few seconds. The writeups and videos take a lot of work and time to make, and the views/comments/ratings will really help me out so I can give you guys more reviews.

Razer Moray+

The design of the Moray+ is very simple, almost deceivingly. Taking a glance at it, you would honestly think it’s just a generic set of earphones. But this headset has a few surprises. On the left ear bud’s cord, you have a very discrete microphone and at the end, while it may look like a normal 3.5mm jack, it is actually a 4-pole 3.5mm jack.

Yes, the Moray+ is not your average earphone. The Razer Moray+ is a cross platform IEM headset from Razer. Razer took their original Moray, which is just a normal set of IEM’s, and fitted it with an inline microphone and a 3.5mm 4-pole jack with a whole lot of adapters. This headset is designed for gamers on the go. You can shove your Moray+ and its accessories into the included neoprene travel case, and throw it in your bag with your laptop/PSP/DS/iPhone when you’re on the go.

So like I was saying, the Moray+ has a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as its native jack. So right out of the box, this headset is compatible with the Astro Mixamp (as well as the iPhone/Blackberry Storm/Droid). Now, I’m not saying that gamers will be lugging the Mixamp on the go with them as well, but it’s just a possibility, like if the friend’s house you’re going to, or the LAN center you’re going to, has Astro Mixamps, you can easily hook up into them. The Moray+ also comes with 3 adapters. So if you game on the PSP and the DS, you can use the Moray+ as a headset with those as well which is really cool with their WiFi capabilities. I love the idea of being able to trash talk in the same capacity on Pokemon that I can with Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2(“Get owned you Pikachu!”). The other adapter that comes with the Moray+ is like a reversed Astro PC headset adapter. It takes the 4-pole 3.5mm and turns it into 2 3.5mm jacks that you can use for your laptop or PC. This headset is so versatile with just those 4 different types of connections. The only thing that is missing from the Moray+ is an inline volume control and a mic mute switch to make the design truly perfect.

Onto the quality side of things; while I applaud Razer for their thinking in terms of compatibility/versatility, the execution leaves some to be desired. I didn’t walk in with the highest of expectations with this set of ear buds. It cost me somewhere in the ballpark of 50 dollars including shipping for these, while the regular earphone counterpart can be found online for 30 dollars. I certainly didn’t think they would be taking the place of my full sized headphones; but at least you can expect an upgrade over your 30 dollar iBuds.

moray.jpg

Overall, they have a pretty balanced sound, nothing was terribly overpowering or overly faint; the clarity is just what you’d expect from 30 dollar earphones. Much like the X11, the Moray+ will offer your better sound over your TV or computer speakers, but don’t expect to be pinpointing ninja pro users in Modern Warfare 2. But for casual gaming and portable gaming, these earphones are great for the price. I like to load up my netbook with music, movies, and games (mostly just Halo CE and Grand Theft Auto), and the earphones perform well for those tasks. As long as you get used to the plugged feeling of IEMs, you can enjoy private listening without disturbing anyone in your vicinity, and you can get better quality out of your listening(which was much needed for my aspire one’s less than optimal speakers). The headset also works well with PSP and DS, though they don’t really need much in the audio department, a lot of DS games’ soundtracks feel like the equivalent of 8 bit system games from the 1980’s. But like I said, it’s cool to have a headset that you can communicate over Xbox Live, Ventrillo, and your handhelds as well.

However another issue I have is the responsiveness of the microphone. Razer has gone for quite a slim profile with the microphone, but the problem is that a lot of times it doesn’t pick up my voices in gaming. I believe it’s due to the sheer placement. The microphone casing has 1 hole to have the sound travel through, and because of the way it hangs it can be blocked off by an article of clothing. And if it isn’t blocked off, you still need to project pretty loudly in order for it to pick your voice up.

So all in all, is the Razer Moray+ worth the price asked? Well, if you want a headset that is compatible with your handheld systems as well as your ipod and computer, then you can’t beat this headset for the price. I love the direction Razer has gone in to produce something that can work with so many devices, and the quality and price are enough for the casual gamer who wants to privately game, whether it be at home, or on the go. I just hope Razer can take the concept of this headset and elevate it to competitive gaming grade (as far as FPS is concerned. In my opinion the directional positioning of sound doesn’t play as crucial a role in action/RPG/RTS games). But if you’re looking for a step up over the iBuds, and want a little versatility and voice communication on the side, pick up the Razer Moray+ today.

Sennheiser PC300

The Sennheiser PC300 G4me can be considered the little brother of the PC 350. It’s a new IEM headset aimed towards serious gamers who want to take their gaming experience on the go. The PC300 follows a simple design; it is a PC headset with 2 3.5mm jacks, features an inline volume control, and an inline microphone.

Switching over from the Razer Moray+ to the PC300, differences in quality were immediately noticeable. Sennheiser is usually a straight shooter when it comes to its products. You have a clean/concise design, and you get what you pay for, and this headset is no different. The grips of the 3.5mm jacks are strong and secured, the cable, while it seems to be the same gauge as the Moray+, is a stronger cable, and just in general, all parts used are really high quality.

One of the things I was very surprised about was the sound quality of the microphone. Even at neck level where it naturally hangs, the microphone picks up my voice easily and clearly. While these types of mics are prone to picking up more ambient noise with their design, I for one game in a fairly noisy area with my desktop and Xbox 360 running with the fans and everything, and the PC300 mic does not pick them up for me. I just have nothing bad to say about it.

The Sennheiser PC300 comes with a travel case, but I actually like the Moray’s case more. The Moray+ case has a compartment for the earphones and each adapter, while the Sennheiser’s case is more of a coin purse with enough room to fit the PC300, but not enough room for its accessories (the only accessories it comes with are the different sized ear tips and an extension cable). Like I said before, the Sennheiser PC300 has an inline volume control on its cord, which is a really handy feature to have in this headset, especially if you are using the extension cord for TV gaming or for a desktop that’s out of reach for the normal cable. The only thing I wish they’d add to the cord is a mic mute switch as well. It is just a standard in most full sized pc headsets; I would just like to see that in the future with IEM headsets.

pc300.jpg

As far as sound quality goes, the PC300 does not disappoint. The PC300 features great clarity, and a pretty good range. I noticed that the lower end and the mids were more predominant when compared to the highs though. In music the highs just play a second role in the audio spectrum. I myself love vocals in music more than anything, so the highs left me desiring more, but this headset was designed for gaming in mind, so let’s just jump right into that.

Using these was a weird experience. I was completely immersed into my gaming. If you can find a tip for IEM’s that fit you right, you will be blocking out sound like nobody’s business. I’ve had family members talk to me while I’m gaming, but I hadn’t heard a word they said, and they were sure to mention that to me later on in the day. Anyways, while I personally think that a full sized headphone/headset will give you more of a 3d awareness because of some distance being there between your ear and the driver, these IEM’s still fair well in Xbox 360 gaming. Footsteps were nice and clear, they really stuck out in some maps because I would just hear nothing because of the noise cancellation, and then when footsteps started coming in clear as a bell, you could expect that I’d take position, right next to the doorway, ready to knife my opponent the moment he steps through it. You can still have this type of experience with a closed full sized headset like the Sennheiser PC350, but the PC300 does give you that bass which adds to the home theater experience in games.

The PC300 also performs well in movies. I’m not saying the low end will top that of a dedicated subwoofer of a 2.1/5.1 theater setup, but it sounds really nice, and is a great option for those watching movies on a trip. Like I said, you’re in your own little world when you put a good fitting pair of IEM’s on.

So all in all, the PC300 has opened my eyes towards the possibility of a new market of headsets. I know that shelling over 100 dollars for an IEM headset is a hard price to swallow, but these can be very invaluable if you are a serious gamer who is constantly on the go. I know countless people with the self-built gaming rigs residing in their homes, and a fully loaded Alienware laptop for their portable gaming needs; it is dedicated gamers like those who this headset can really benefit. You now have laptops with i3/i5/i7 processors, capable of running games like Modern Warfare 2, WOW, Crysis (well…not at full stats Crysis), but you get what I mean. You’ve spent the money perfecting your on the go rig, now it’s time to perfect the audio to go along with it.

Looking into the future, I hope that the audio companies who are diving into this category of headsets further improve the designs with them. Ideally I’d love to see a headset with the quality of the PC300, the terminations/adapters of the Razer Moray+, and a mic mute switch and inline volume control. Until then, I will happily be fragging away on my laptop and gaining the edge on my opponents with the Sennheiser PC300. As for you, if you are looking for a high quality set of IEM’s with gaming as your first priority, and movies/music as your second, check out the PC300.

May 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Guess no one is interested? lol

May 14, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Jul 23, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Very nice reviews, Steggy.  

I just recently purchased a laptop for gaming when I am travelling for work (Alienware M11x), and wanted a pair of nice gaming headphones with an in-line mic.  The design of the Razer Moray+ was interesting to me, but I cannot bring myself to buy headphones from a "gaming" company like Razer.

Your two video reviews were very well produced, and were very helpful to me.  I'm glad that I stumbled upon them, because now I know that the Sennheiser PC300's are a great alternative in the ~$50 price range.  I have owned several pairs of Sennheiser full-sized cans and earbuds, and love their sound.

BTW - I see that the PC300's retail for about $150 (street price $50)... that retail is in line with Edge Acoustics GX100 / GX400 products.  Any experience with those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back